Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How does AWB (auto white balance) work?

How does AWB (auto white balance) work?

Ralph O'Rourke

I have recently purchased my first digital camera. It has the AWB
feature which I always set as ON.

However, some of my photos bear the results of using the 35mmfilm
camera, and taking outdoor photos on indoor fims, and vice versa.

Question: if I have AWB set ON and take an indoor photo under
incandescent light, but manually suppress the flash, do I need to turn
AWB OFF and manually set it to incandescent? Same for flourencent?
How 'bout natural (albeit, low) light?

It appears that ABW looks at whether or not the flash will be used and
makes its "automatic" setting accordingly as indoor shots without
flash, look orange under incandescent and blue/green under floursecent
light without flash.

Is there a webguide somewhere which will explain AWB to me in detail?

Thx
RR

Robertwgross

Ralph, you will likely get better advice if you identify your specific camera.

---Bob Gross---

Ralph O'Rourke

Camera = Pentax Optio S
It has AUTO + 5 manual settings.

On 11 Sep 2003 22:09:54 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote:

> [...]

Jimmy

"Ralph O'Rourke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Camera = Pentax Optio S
> It has AUTO + 5 manual settings.

Can't say for sure, but normally when you depress the shutter release button halfway it locks focus,
exposure, and WB. The camera should sense the flash was suppressed and make the WB correction that
was set with the release button. You may need to do a manual WB setting for natural lighting or
even a custom WB if the camera has this function.