Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is this a sign of a dirty sensor?

Is this a sign of a dirty sensor?

John H. Power

I consistently have several spots on my 10D photos in exactly the same
place and with any lens I use. The best example is when I take a
photo with a blue sky. The spots are in the upper left hand side of
the photo and they look like someone has taken an eyedropper and
dropped a few drops of water on the photo that dried out and left a
water stain. The area in question is slightly darker than the rest of
the sky.

I could probably post a link to an example but I thought I would start
with a description.

I removed the lens and blew into the camera cavity to see if I could
dislodge any stray dust, but the spots remain. I see the mirror and
the sensor behind it but I am not sure how to clean either. I know
the manual has a section on cleaning the sensor but I have not tried
that. Can you just wipe off the mirror with a soft cloth? Maybe
there is something on that...

Thanks

Boomer

John H. Power wrote:

> I consistently have several spots on my 10D photos
> in exactly the same place and with any lens I use ....

And suspect a dirty sensor, so you ...

> ... could probably post a link to an example but I thought
> I would start with a description.

Since a hundred words are worth a picture?

> I removed the lens and blew into the camera cavity ....

Wow.

> I know the manual has a section on cleaning the sensor
> but I have not tried that ....

That would be too simple.

> Can you just wipe off the mirror with a soft cloth?
> Maybe there is something on that ....

Woof!

Anyway, sorry for the sarcasm. You've just provided
an easy target by ... well, by doing everything wrong
you could possibly do.

Your description fits a dirty sensor.

NEVER take the lens off and "blow inside the cavity"
unless you're a technician in a clean room who knows
what he's doing and has verifiably clean air.

Always provide sample images.

Always follow manual instructions first.

Mirror surface defects do not influence the final image.

Wiping the mirror "with a soft cloth" will probably
introduce even more dust into the "camera cavity."

So aside from that, Mr. Lincoln, how did you enjoy
the play?

By the way, cleaning a sensor is NOT for the novice.
With the skill level you've demonstrated (nothing
wrong with being a novice -- we all started there)
I'd get professional help. Take your camera to an
authorized service center.

reg-john

shutup knob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:26:59 -0500, "Boomer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John H. Power wrote:
>
>> I consistently have several spots on my 10D photos
>> in exactly the same place and with any lens I use ....

>And suspect a dirty sensor, so you ...
>
>> ... could probably post a link to an example but I thought
>> I would start with a description.

>Since a hundred words are worth a picture?
>
>> I removed the lens and blew into the camera cavity ....

>Wow.
>
>> I know the manual has a section on cleaning the sensor
>> but I have not tried that ....

>That would be too simple.
>
>> Can you just wipe off the mirror with a soft cloth?
>> Maybe there is something on that ....

>Woof!
>
>Anyway, sorry for the sarcasm. You've just provided
>an easy target by ... well, by doing everything wrong
>you could possibly do.
>
>Your description fits a dirty sensor.
>
>NEVER take the lens off and "blow inside the cavity"
>unless you're a technician in a clean room who knows
>what he's doing and has verifiably clean air.
>
>Always provide sample images.
>
>Always follow manual instructions first.
>
>Mirror surface defects do not influence the final image.
>
>Wiping the mirror "with a soft cloth" will probably
>introduce even more dust into the "camera cavity."
>
>So aside from that, Mr. Lincoln, how did you enjoy
>the play?
>
>By the way, cleaning a sensor is NOT for the novice.
>With the skill level you've demonstrated (nothing
>wrong with being a novice -- we all started there)
>I'd get professional help. Take your camera to an
>authorized service center.

Thank you for nothing sir. Your condescending and patronizing attitude
is unappreciated.

I will wait and hope someone with a bit more civility makes a
suggestion. And I am nowhere close to a an authorized service center.

Tom

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:26:59 -0500, "Boomer"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >By the way, cleaning a sensor is NOT for the novice.
> >With the skill level you've demonstrated (nothing
> >wrong with being a novice -- we all started there)
> >I'd get professional help. Take your camera to an
> >authorized service center.
> >

> Thank you for nothing sir. Your condescending and patronizing attitude
> is unappreciated.

And your response is moronic.

> I will wait and hope someone with a bit more civility makes a
> suggestion. And I am nowhere close to a an authorized service center.

Jesus, he didn't tell you to WALK to the damn service center. Ever heard of
the Postal Service? What WILL old Ben come up with next?

You ring in here admitting you are too lazy to read the instructions that
came with your camera and are surprised to be subjected to a bit of leg
pulling?

Read the instructions.

Or better yet, go ahead and spit into your camera. That'll do it. Rub it
around good with your shirt tail when you are done.

Tom

Jim Townsend

John H. Power wrote:

> I consistently have several spots on my 10D photos in exactly the same
> place and with any lens I use. The best example is when I take a
> photo with a blue sky. The spots are in the upper left hand side of
> the photo and they look like someone has taken an eyedropper and
> dropped a few drops of water on the photo that dried out and left a
> water stain. The area in question is slightly darker than the rest of
> the sky.
>
> I could probably post a link to an example but I thought I would start
> with a description.
>
> I removed the lens and blew into the camera cavity to see if I could
> dislodge any stray dust, but the spots remain. I see the mirror and
> the sensor behind it but I am not sure how to clean either. I know
> the manual has a section on cleaning the sensor but I have not tried
> that. Can you just wipe off the mirror with a soft cloth? Maybe
> there is something on that...

Sounds just like sensor dust..

DO NOT TOUCH THE MIRROR WITH ANYTHING.. That's what does the focusing.. A bit
of visible dust on the mirror will make no difference. Get a bulb blower
without the brush tip. (Don't touch the sensor with a dry brush and never use
your breath).

Set the camera in sensor clean mode and GENTLY blow off the sensor with the
bulb blower. If things are really bad, you might have to wet clean with a
swab.

Canon does not endorse wet cleaning the sensor. But.. actually you can if
you're careful. The sensor has a protective coating over top of it. I think
Canon tells you not to wet clean because they don't want to open themselves to
claims by ham-handed users who've mangled the sensor following a procedure
Canon endorsed. It also costs them business at their service centers.

Here's some reading.. You can decide the best course of action on your own:

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

http://www.rogercavanagh.com/helpinfo/09_cleaning.htm

http://luminous-landscape.com/essays...cleaning.shtml

jriegle

The mirror reflects the light up onto the focusing screen. The mirror pivots
up out of the light path during exposure therefore, is not involved in the
image process during exposure. It is the reason the viewfinder goes dark
during the exposure on SLRs. Tiny bits of dust on the mirror will likely not
show in the viewfinder because they will not be in focus. OTOH, Dust on the
focussing screen will be visible in the viewfinder, but not in the images
either.

The mirror is front silvered and is quite delicate. There are special fluids
and lint free materials for proper cleaning. Be carefull when using.

The image sensor in yours and other cameras have a glass plate covering the
actual sensor field. Since it is not in a the plane of focus, dust may look
like water spots on it. The plate usually will have an anti-reflective
coating on it and perhaps an infrared radiation filter integrated. The AR
coating is fairly durable, such as on the lenses, but you must be careful
and not damage it because (unless Canon is doing something different) the
plate is a integral part of the imaging chip. If you damage it, the whole
thing has to get replaced.

John

"John H. Power" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I consistently have several spots on my 10D photos in exactly the same
> place and with any lens I use. The best example is when I take a
> photo with a blue sky. The spots are in the upper left hand side of
> the photo and they look like someone has taken an eyedropper and
> dropped a few drops of water on the photo that dried out and left a
> water stain. The area in question is slightly darker than the rest of
> the sky.
>
> I could probably post a link to an example but I thought I would start
> with a description.
>
> I removed the lens and blew into the camera cavity to see if I could
> dislodge any stray dust, but the spots remain. I see the mirror and
> the sensor behind it but I am not sure how to clean either. I know
> the manual has a section on cleaning the sensor but I have not tried
> that. Can you just wipe off the mirror with a soft cloth? Maybe
> there is something on that...
>
> Thanks

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:16:17 GMT, "Tom"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:26:59 -0500, "Boomer"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >By the way, cleaning a sensor is NOT for the novice.
>> >With the skill level you've demonstrated (nothing
>> >wrong with being a novice -- we all started there)
>> >I'd get professional help. Take your camera to an
>> >authorized service center.
>> >

>> Thank you for nothing sir. Your condescending and patronizing attitude
>> is unappreciated.

>And your response is moronic.
>

>> I will wait and hope someone with a bit more civility makes a
>> suggestion. And I am nowhere close to a an authorized service center.

>Jesus, he didn't tell you to WALK to the damn service center. Ever heard of
>the Postal Service? What WILL old Ben come up with next?
>
>You ring in here admitting you are too lazy to read the instructions that
>came with your camera and are surprised to be subjected to a bit of leg
>pulling?
>
>Read the instructions.
>
>Or better yet, go ahead and spit into your camera. That'll do it. Rub it
>around good with your shirt tail when you are done.
>
>Tom

Yet another jerk

johnpower@verobeachlaw.com

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:46:00 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I consistently have several spots on my 10D photos in exactly the same
>> place and with any lens I use. The best example is when I take a
>> photo with a blue sky. The spots are in the upper left hand side of
>> the photo and they look like someone has taken an eyedropper and
>> dropped a few drops of water on the photo that dried out and left a
>> water stain. The area in question is slightly darker than the rest of
>> the sky.
>>
>> I could probably post a link to an example but I thought I would start
>> with a description.
>>
>> I removed the lens and blew into the camera cavity to see if I could
>> dislodge any stray dust, but the spots remain. I see the mirror and
>> the sensor behind it but I am not sure how to clean either. I know
>> the manual has a section on cleaning the sensor but I have not tried
>> that. Can you just wipe off the mirror with a soft cloth? Maybe
>> there is something on that...
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>John,
>
>Yes you have a dirty sensor. Don't bother trying to clean the mirror --
>if there is something on it, it wouldn't effect the final images that
>come out of your camera, you would just see the "dirt" through the
>viewfinder.
>
>Since we have established that it's your sensor that's dirty, let's talk
>about cleaning it. First of all, it is VERY easy to damge the sensor by
>trying to clean it and if you do this, Canon will not repair it under
>warranty. Here is a link to a page that outlines in excellent detail
>exactly how to clean the sensor:
>
>http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning
>
>If you attempt this, follow his instructions TO THE LETTER. Only use Pec
>Pads to clean it -- not Kleenex, Q-Tips, or anything else. Just Pec
>Pads. Only use Eclipse cleaning solution -- not alcohol (PLEASE not
>alcohol,) or anything else. Just Eclipse.
>
>You have to be ***VERY*** careful as one wrong move will render your
>$1500 camera useless. If you decide to try this and mess it up, don't
>say I didn't warn ya

Thanks Todd. I was reluctant to try and clean the sensor via the
manual's instruction because it makes the whole process sound
dangerous. That's why I posted my question

Thanks to you and the others who made constructive comments. Having
participated in NGs for sometimes, this group is no exception to the
general rule that there is always a small minority of jerks in every
group.

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Thanks to you and the others who made constructive comments. Having
> participated in NGs for sometimes, this group is no exception to the
> general rule that there is always a small minority of jerks in every
> group.

Yep. Thankfully we have a pretty good ratio of helpful people to jerks
around here

--
Todd Walker