Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson paper - matt vs premium glossy

Epson paper - matt vs premium glossy

J@b.com

Both the heavyweight matt and premium glossy are meant for photos. What
situations are each good for? Mounting extra. Do some photos (colours and /
or subject) look better on either type?
Which one do people prefer... (or even another sort I'm missing?)

Thanks for any advice...

Stanley Krute

Howdy J

I think this essentially comes down to a personal
aesthetic choice. Some folks like matte prints,
some like glossy. My own leaning is towards
the glossy; I like the way the colors snap; but
again, it's a personal thing.

Lifetime of the image is another item to consider.
If you're printing with Epson's dye-based inks,
images on heavyweight matte will have a longer
lifetime than images on the premium glossy (assuming
the images are stored/framed/illuminated the same).
You can google up some of the data on that.

A good choice for glossy prints on an Epson is
the Photo paper, sold at Costco in a pack of 100
8"x10" sheets for < $20. Prints on that paper have
one of the longer lifetimes of the Epson glossy papers.

If you're going to be mounting and framing behind
glass, prints on the matte paper gain a lot of the
"snap" of prints on the glossy.

Hope that helps get you started. You should play
around with all the Epson papers that seem of
interest; you'll come to your own conclusions.

Stan

fhe

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:00:35 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It is an artistic choice. I tend to chose matt for portraits and gloss
>for something like race cars. I also tend to choose gloss for smaller size
>prints and matt for larger size.
>
> I will suggest that all else being equal, matt displays better since it
>has less of a problem with reflections.

I agree with your choices but you gotta remember, prints look
contrastier on glossy because the matte is limited as to how black a
black it can display. I'll still use matte for almost all larger
prints though-- going to glossy for 'problem' pics.

stan@temple.edu

> Both the heavyweight matt and premium glossy are meant for photos. What
> situations are each good for? Mounting extra. Do some photos (colours and /
> or subject) look better on either type?

It really boils down to a matter of personal preference.
I use both papers. It depends on the look you want to achieve
with your printed output. Experiment and see what works best
for you.

HRosita

Hi,

I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it in
the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -?
Rosita

Charlie D

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) wrote:

> I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it in
> the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
> Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -?

I kept doing that 'till I put a label on my printer

"Green side down."

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Ed Ruf

On 10 Sep 2003 23:25:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (E-Mail Removed)et
(HRosita) wrote:

>I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it in
>the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
>Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -?

For Epson papers, it has been my experience that the print side faces to
the front/dispaly side of the package containing it.

http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

JIM

"FOR7b" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need better lighting then because it should be easy to see. The right

side
> is bright white and very smooth in texture compared to back even though it

is
> matte.

Only for certain matte papers from Epson. Their Velvet Fine Art paper is a
matte paper and about the only way you can tell the printed surface is to
rub (lightly) the paper between your thumb and forefinger, the "rougher"
feeling surface is the printed side in this case MOF, Epson's archival
matte paper also feels rougher on the printed side, but then it provides
printed directional arrows on the back of that paper - so loading it in
error would require a momemtary brain synapse collapse. Doesn't seem like
it would be all that costly for all photo type paper manufacturers to print
something as simple as an X on the unprintable side?

Shoot'em up, print on any side, Agaf, Kodak and all the rest will love you
for it!!

Jim

JIM

"Ed Ruf" <EG*nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 10 Sep 2003 23:25:10 GMT, in rec.photo.digital (E-Mail Removed)et
> (HRosita) wrote:
>
> >I was given a couple of matte boxes. My problem is that I keep placing it

in
> >the printer the wrong way and waste both paper and ink.
> >Can somebody please help me to tell which side is up -?

> For Epson papers, it has been my experience that the print side faces to
> the front/dispaly side of the package containing it.

Not sure about that; however, all my packages are open and I might have put
them back opposite the way they came in the package. I rarely, in the
smaller sizes anyway, pull the entire package from the box and am sure that
the printable side of Epson's papers face the side that the plastic flap
(plastic package the paper is in inside the cardboard box) is opened from
('Cause I know I've never had an entire pack removed from its inner plastic
sleeve) At least every box I've ever opened from Epson has been this way -
but then mine may have been packaged by one of those lefthanded chimps vice
a righthander??

Shoot'em up, print on anything, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest will love
you for it!!

Jim

JIM

"Monica Krowley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Matte looks more professional. Glossy is for consumers.

Be nice, nobody bite and let this die a natural death

Shoot'em up, print on anything 'you' like, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the
rest will love you for it!!

Jim