Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What a difference calibration makes!

What a difference calibration makes!

PTRAVEL

In the course of replacing my chemical darkroom, I bought a Sony 17" LCD
monitor and a Canon i9100 wide-carriage printer to go with my Canon 10D.
The first prints I got from this setup were okay, but not dazzling and, most
importantly, didn't look at all like what I saw on the monitor.

I invested in a Spyder and the software to go with it, and calibrated my
monitor and printer (using my old, and not terribly accurate, HP 6100c
scanner). The results were dramatic! I can make accurate adjustments to
the Canon's RAW files (usually exposure and color temperature), touch up the
shot's gamma in Photoshop Elements and then get an excellent quality print
the first time that not only looks better than what I was printing before,
but actually matches what I see on my monitor when I make the adjustments.
I was using mostly 4x6 paper, but just for fun I ran off a 13 x 19 to see
how it turned out and, frankly, it was spectacular -- actually better than
what I could produce in my chemical darkroom, and done in a tiny fraction of
the time.

I recommend the Spyder -- it's a relatively minor investment, compared to
the cost of a good monitor, computer, digital camera and printer, but
calibration makes a HUGE difference in the final print.

PTRAVEL

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> PTRAVEL wrote:
>
> > I recommend the Spyder --

> I read your post, and am interested. I have a couple
> of questions: which Spyder did you get,

It's on the Colorvision website. It came with PhotoCal (though it's also
sold with Optical). This Spyder has baffles and attachments for both LCD
and CRT monitors.

> and how
> difficult is it to figure out how to calibrate from RAW
> to screen to printer?

For me, it was very easy. I brought the RAW file into Photoshop Elements
using the RAW plug-in. I used the plug-in to make basic adjustments by
eye -- the most common adjustments were exposure, color temperature and
shadow (gamma). Once in Elements, I'd tweak the shot some more.
Interestingly enough, I'd try the auto adjust features in Elements, but they
rarely varied the appearance of the shot beyond what I had already done in
the plug-in. Once I liked the way it looked, I just sent it to the printer.

> I see that even with the rebates,
> the Spyder prices vary from $200 to almost $500.

IIRC, I paid under $300. I don't remember exactly how I got there, but if
you go to dpreview.com, you'll find a link that gets you to the Colorvision
site and which provides substantial discounts (now that I think some more, I
believe I paid $225 for the Spyder with Photocal).

> Can you achieve screen and printing improvements
> with the lower-priced model?

As best as I can tell, a Spyder is a Spyder is a Spyder, to paraphrase
Gertrude Stein. There are apparently older versions that don't have the
additional baffles and attachments to work with LCD monitors. Other than
that, the main difference is the software. Optical costs more than
Photocal, offers more control, but, at least in my case, few additional
benefits, so I went with the less expensive software.

Boomer

Thanks to Bill Hilton and PTRAVEL.
Your descriptions are appreciated.
I'm most likely going to go ahead and make this
purchase, since monitor calibration has bugged me
for years, and this looks like a better solution than
what I've been using, which is the visual Adobe
calibration which relies on visual comparisons.
Since I'm mildly colorblind, this doesn't work
well for me, as one might imagine!

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: What a difference calibration makes!
>From: "PTRAVEL" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 9/9/03 4:13 PM Pacific

>As best as I can tell, a Spyder is a Spyder is a Spyder, to paraphrase
>Gertrude Stein.

I think she used Monaco.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Bob B

Just to chime in here: after this thread caught my attention and I
did a bit more web-browsing, I decided this was worth the $225
mentioned. But I couldn't find a link to colorvision at dpreview. A
visit to the Colorvision website reveals that they currently have a
rebate offer going on that birngs the cost of the Spyder (with
photocal) down to a net of $179 (plus $10 s/h). And that includes a
copy of Photoshop Album. Pleasant surprise!

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:13:39 -0700, "PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> PTRAVEL wrote:
>>
>> > I recommend the Spyder --

>> I read your post, and am interested. I have a couple
>> of questions: which Spyder did you get,

>It's on the Colorvision website. It came with PhotoCal (though it's also
>sold with Optical). This Spyder has baffles and attachments for both LCD
>and CRT monitors.
>
>> and how
>> difficult is it to figure out how to calibrate from RAW
>> to screen to printer?

>For me, it was very easy. I brought the RAW file into Photoshop Elements
>using the RAW plug-in. I used the plug-in to make basic adjustments by
>eye -- the most common adjustments were exposure, color temperature and
>shadow (gamma). Once in Elements, I'd tweak the shot some more.
>Interestingly enough, I'd try the auto adjust features in Elements, but they
>rarely varied the appearance of the shot beyond what I had already done in
>the plug-in. Once I liked the way it looked, I just sent it to the printer.
>
>> I see that even with the rebates,
>> the Spyder prices vary from $200 to almost $500.

>IIRC, I paid under $300. I don't remember exactly how I got there, but if
>you go to dpreview.com, you'll find a link that gets you to the Colorvision
>site and which provides substantial discounts (now that I think some more, I
>believe I paid $225 for the Spyder with Photocal).
>
>> Can you achieve screen and printing improvements
>> with the lower-priced model?

>As best as I can tell, a Spyder is a Spyder is a Spyder, to paraphrase
>Gertrude Stein. There are apparently older versions that don't have the
>additional baffles and attachments to work with LCD monitors. Other than
>that, the main difference is the software. Optical costs more than
>Photocal, offers more control, but, at least in my case, few additional
>benefits, so I went with the less expensive software.

Bill Hilton

>From: Bob B (E-Mail Removed)

>after this thread caught my attention and I
>did a bit more web-browsing, I decided this was worth the $225
>mentioned. But I couldn't find a link to colorvision at dpreview. A
>visit to the Colorvision website reveals that they currently have a
>rebate offer going on that birngs the cost of the Spyder (with
>photocal) down to a net of $179 (plus $10 s/h). And that includes a
>copy of Photoshop Album. Pleasant surprise!

I think it's $149 at Inkjet Mall for a couple more weeks (same package,
including Album) ... http://www.inkjetmall.com/

Bill

Boomer

Bill Hilton wrote:
> Bob B wrote:

>> A visit to the Colorvision website reveals that they
>> currently have a rebate offer going on that birngs the
>> cost of the Spyder (with photocal) down to a net of
>> $179 (plus $10 s/h). And that includes a copy of
>> Photoshop Album. Pleasant surprise!

> I think it's $149 at Inkjet Mall for a couple more weeks
> (same package, including Album) ...
> http://www.inkjetmall.com/

Thanks!

ARosenblat

>Arthur Kramer

wrote:>Visit my WW II B-26 website
The pictures are great, especially the Marauders

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: What a difference calibration makes!
>From: (E-Mail Removed) (ARosenblat)
>Date: 9/10/03 7:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>>Arthur Kramer

>wrote:>Visit my WW II B-26 website
> The pictures are great, especially the Marauders

Thank you.
Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Monitor Calibration. Colorvision Calibration Looks Incorrect Haydon Digital Photography 7 05-23-2007 08:52 PM
time of calibration matthew30 MCSE 28 01-14-2006 02:23 AM
Nero 5 Help Please power calibration kazz Computer Support 2 10-17-2003 11:51 PM
power calibration error? Bullet Computer Support 1 08-02-2003 03:01 PM
power calibration error Ron Nijboer Computer Support 8 07-10-2003 06:31 PM

Advertisments