Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Free batch rename software?

Re: Free batch rename software?

l_hodges@cix.compulink.co.uk

In article <CErCa.39$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (David Eagle) wrote:

> Folks, I need to rename a bunch of pictures, is there a (preferably)
> free
> software tool that does this?
>
> I have PaintShop Pro 7 and Adobe Elements 2, neither do this relatively
> simple thing.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> --
> Thanks, David Eagle

However PSP 8 does

Lawrence C.Hodges

Frogiswrong

Windows XP. Higlight all files, right click on any one and choose rename.
give it a name and all selected files will change to the new name and have a
numeric value. newname(1).jpg
newname(2).jpg
Basic... but it does the job.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bjk9ht$ei0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <CErCa.39$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Eagle) wrote:
>
> > Folks, I need to rename a bunch of pictures, is there a (preferably)
> > free
> > software tool that does this?
> >
> > I have PaintShop Pro 7 and Adobe Elements 2, neither do this relatively
> > simple thing.
> >
> > All help appreciated.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks, David Eagle
> >

> However PSP 8 does
>
> Lawrence C.Hodges

David Greenhough

In message <npj7b.402178$o%2.179194@sccrnsc02>, Tom
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bjk9ht$ei0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <CErCa.39$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) (David Eagle) wrote:
>>
>> > Folks, I need to rename a bunch of pictures, is there a (preferably)
>> > free
>> > software tool that does this?

>Yes. The best and the simplest is ckRename.
>
>Go here: http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/
>
>Irfanview does batch renames but a small, dedicated program like ckRename is
>MUCH more intuitive, easily set up for each batch and used. I tried a bunch
>of rename utilities and this was teh best of the lot.
>
>Tom

I must admit that the batch rename in Irafanview IMO only bettered by
Exifer where it can simultaneously rename and redate/retime files to
their Exif taken data.

Exifer and IrfanView are invaluable here despite having many
alternatives on hand.
--
David Greenhough

Steve Parus

ULead's Photoexplorer Ver 6 is free and allows renaming with many
options. Their Ver 8 allows images to be re-ordered by dragging
thumbnails with a mouse (it renames them by adding additional
characters onto file name to establish that new order). After all are
re-ordered, you can batch rename them.