Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > That 18-50 lens for the 300D

That 18-50 lens for the 300D

Mike Graham

I was just looking at the specs on the new Digital Rebel, and that lens
doesn't really excite me, however if it's not a crap lens then it will still
be worth the $100. What's the consensus? Are you buying the kit or are you
buying the body only?

mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

W6DKN

Mike Graham wrote:
> I was just looking at the specs on the new Digital Rebel, and that
> lens doesn't really excite me, however if it's not a crap lens then
> it will still be worth the $100. What's the consensus? Are you
> buying the kit or are you buying the body only?

How many $100 dollar zoom lenses are there that aren't crap? I'm sure that
the Canon marketing people figure the target buying group for this camera
probably couldn't tell a good lens from a bad one, but many won't buy it
unless it comes with a lens - so there's your $100 zoom...

= Dan =

Mark B.

"Mike Graham" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was just looking at the specs on the new Digital Rebel, and that lens
> doesn't really excite me, however if it's not a crap lens then it will

still
> be worth the $100. What's the consensus? Are you buying the kit or are

you
> buying the body only?

Overview & comparison to other lenses:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page16.asp

Monica Krowley

That lens sucks. Totally. Too slow. The lens on the G3 is much better.

Mike Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> I was just looking at the specs on the new Digital Rebel, and that lens
> doesn't really excite me, however if it's not a crap lens then it will still
> be worth the $100. What's the consensus? Are you buying the kit or are you
> buying the body only?

MarkH

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Monica Krowley) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) om:

> Mike Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> I was just looking at the specs on the new Digital Rebel, and that
>> lens doesn't really excite me, however if it's not a crap lens then
>> it will still be worth the $100. What's the consensus? Are you
>> buying the kit or are you buying the body only?

> That lens sucks. Totally. Too slow. The lens on the G3 is much better.

Maybe, but on the 300D you can also buy a 50mm f1.8 that will give sharper
clearer pics than the G3 is capable of.

You can also spend real money and get many fantastic lenses, including
equivalent FOV 320mm at f1.8 and equiv of 640mm at 2.8. I donít think that
a G3 or any other compact camera can compete with that.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Monica Krowley

Mark, I never said that the G3 was better than the rebel. I said that
the lens that comes with the G3 is better than the shitty kit lens
that you can buy with the rebel. If someone has the money to buy the
rebel body and a few good prime lenses, then the quality of the DSLR
will be worth the investment. I would suggest the 1.4 50mm USM lens
instead of the 1.8 version. Better build quality and the USM internal
focusing.....plus the extra speed and sharpness.

MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bjgvu1$lea$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Monica Krowley) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
> > Mike Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> >> I was just looking at the specs on the new Digital Rebel, and that
> >> lens doesn't really excite me, however if it's not a crap lens then
> >> it will still be worth the $100. What's the consensus? Are you
> >> buying the kit or are you buying the body only?

> > That lens sucks. Totally. Too slow. The lens on the G3 is much better.

> Maybe, but on the 300D you can also buy a 50mm f1.8 that will give sharper
> clearer pics than the G3 is capable of.
>
> You can also spend real money and get many fantastic lenses, including
> equivalent FOV 320mm at f1.8 and equiv of 640mm at 2.8. I don?t think that
> a G3 or any other compact camera can compete with that.

Wayne J

"Monica Krowley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> That lens sucks. Totally. Too slow. The lens on the G3 is much better.

So what if it's slow? Set the camera to ISO 800 and it will blow the G3 away
in any category.

Wayne

Mark B.

"Monica Krowley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Mark, I never said that the G3 was better than the rebel. I said that
> the lens that comes with the G3 is better than the shitty kit lens
> that you can buy with the rebel. If someone has the money to buy the
> rebel body and a few good prime lenses, then the quality of the DSLR
> will be worth the investment. I would suggest the 1.4 50mm USM lens
> instead of the 1.8 version. Better build quality and the USM internal
> focusing.....plus the extra speed and sharpness.

Anyone looking to buy the 300D is doing it for cost reasons; they're
unlikely to consider spending 3x the price of the 50/1.8 for the 1.4
version.

Mark

Mike Graham

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, Monica Krowley wrote:

> That lens sucks. Totally. Too slow. The lens on the G3 is much better.

Then lens on my C3020 is much better, from a speed perspective, but
looking at the tryout on dpreviews, it looks like a decent bit of kit for
$100.

mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

David J. Littleboy

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Monica Krowley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Mark, I never said that the G3 was better than the rebel. I said that
> > the lens that comes with the G3 is better than the shitty kit lens
> > that you can buy with the rebel. If someone has the money to buy the
> > rebel body and a few good prime lenses, then the quality of the DSLR
> > will be worth the investment. I would suggest the 1.4 50mm USM lens
> > instead of the 1.8 version. Better build quality and the USM internal
> > focusing.....plus the extra speed and sharpness.

> Anyone looking to buy the 300D is doing it for cost reasons; they're
> unlikely to consider spending 3x the price of the 50/1.8 for the 1.4
> version.

Actually, I think she's right on that point. It's the cheapest fast lens
Canon makes, and it's better than the 50/1.8 in several way, including
bokeh. For portraits, the 50/1.8 could be a bit harsh and the 50/1.4 a lot
smoother. The extra 2/3 of a stop isn't really a big deal, but it makes the
finder brighter and focusing faster and more accurate. Also it's USM vs.
non-USM. The large number of small advantages really add up. The only bad
news is that it has a bit of barrel distortion, something that's more of a
problem at the edges of the frame when used on film or with a full-frame
sensor.

Another fast lens on my list is the Stigma 24/1.8. It's a bit of a clunker,
but 40mm is a nice length for general shooting, and it's reported to be the
best of the fast Sigma wide angles.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan