Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hot Pixel on S2Pro ?

Hot Pixel on S2Pro ?

cbs

Hi,

I have a hot pixel (think this is the term) on my S2pro. When I shoot images
with dark backgrounds there is one pixel or more that glow. It is still
under warranty but I was curious how they will fix this problem? Do they put
in a new CCD?

Thanks,

Cliff

Dave

No, I doubt they will replace the CCD. Mostly likely they will "map
out" the bad pixel via software. They may argue that it's not a defect
unless you have more than a certain number of bad pixels.

cbs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a hot pixel (think this is the term) on my S2pro. When I shoot images
> with dark backgrounds there is one pixel or more that glow. It is still
> under warranty but I was curious how they will fix this problem? Do they put
> in a new CCD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cliff

cbs

"Howard McCollister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f5aa4a2$0$298$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "cbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aWw6b.4817$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a hot pixel (think this is the term) on my S2pro. When I shoot

> images
> > with dark backgrounds there is one pixel or more that glow. It is still
> > under warranty but I was curious how they will fix this problem? Do they

> put
> > in a new CCD?
> >

> You may have more than one hot pixel. Go to http://tinyurl.com/m5zf and
> download DeadPixelTest. Shoot 4 or 5 pictures in TIF/RGB with the lens cap
> on in manual mode at various ISOs and various shutter speeds. Usually a

few
> shots of the lens cap at 1 second, 1/30 sec, 1/10 second will suffice, and
> run the resultant TIFs through DeadPixelTest. It will locate hot pixels

and
> dead pixels. Hot pixels are exaggerated in JPG mode because of the
> compression, so it needs to be TIF.
>
> I have a hot pixel on my S2 Pro, right in the middle of the image. Easy to
> deal with in Photoshop, but still very annoying. I called Fuji factory
> service in Edison, New Jersey and they said just send it in on warranty.
> They don't replace the sensor, they remap it so that the hot pixel in
> question returns information averaged from it's nearest neighbors.
> Turnaround is about 7 days. Don't take it to a Fuji service place, she

said,
> they want to take care of their dSLRs in the main factory service place in
> Edison.
>
> I plan to do that some day, before the warranty is up.
>
> HMc

Thanks for the advice. I ran the program and here is what I found. I am
focusing on the iso and exposures I use most often.

400iso-30th - 7 hot pixels
400iso - 125th - 6 hot pixels
800iso - 30th - 17 hot pixels
800iso - 125th - 14 hot pixels

So now I am confused. There appears to not be any dead pixels but I don't
know what is an acceptable amount of hot pixels for these settings. If these
numbers are unacceptable which I think they are can Fuji help me or do they
only solve dead pixels?

Thanks,

Cliff

gr

"cbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Thanks for the advice. I ran the program and here is what I found. I am
> focusing on the iso and exposures I use most often.
>
> 400iso-30th - 7 hot pixels
> 400iso - 125th - 6 hot pixels
> 800iso - 30th - 17 hot pixels
> 800iso - 125th - 14 hot pixels
>

> So now I am confused. There appears to not be any dead pixels but I don't
> know what is an acceptable amount of hot pixels for these settings. If

these
> numbers are unacceptable which I think they are can Fuji help me or do

they
> only solve dead pixels?

I'm surprised that at those shutter speeds you have any hot pixels. It
definitely sounds like a defective CCD, and it will probably get worse over
time. I'm sure Fuji can map out hot pixels just as well as dead pixels (as
long as they always appear in the same spot), but if you've got that many
already, mapping may only be a temporary solution. I'd push for a new
camera.

Howard McCollister

"cbs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hmI6b.74$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Thanks for the advice. I ran the program and here is what I found. I am
> focusing on the iso and exposures I use most often.
>
> 400iso-30th - 7 hot pixels
> 400iso - 125th - 6 hot pixels
> 800iso - 30th - 17 hot pixels
> 800iso - 125th - 14 hot pixels
>

> So now I am confused. There appears to not be any dead pixels but I don't
> know what is an acceptable amount of hot pixels for these settings. If

these
> numbers are unacceptable which I think they are can Fuji help me or do

they
> only solve dead pixels?

The way I understand it from Fuji is that they will run some kind of program
similar to DeadPixelTest and remap your sensor to eliminate the effects of
all the defective pixels, hot or dead. Supposedly, if you run DeadPixelTest
using the same parameters after you get it back, it will show nothing.

If you didn't see it look at this thread in this group from 9/6/03
http://tinyurl.com/mjt8 .

HMc