Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Depth of field with 10D

Depth of field with 10D

Don

I recently set my 10D to the maximum DOF setting to see how it performed. I
was using a 28mm Tamron zoom. The settings displayed (on this particular
day) at 1/1000 @ F4. I thought that to get maximum DOF you had to use a
small F stop (F22 etc). What gives, and what have I got wrong"

--
Don From Down Under

Todd Walker

In article <zAw6b.86771$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I recently set my 10D to the maximum DOF setting to see how it performed. I
> was using a 28mm Tamron zoom. The settings displayed (on this particular
> day) at 1/1000 @ F4. I thought that to get maximum DOF you had to use a
> small F stop (F22 etc). What gives, and what have I got wrong"
>
> --
> Don From Down Under

What do you mean when you say you set it to the maximum DOF setting?
Were you using the A-DEP mode?

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Don

Todd, that's correct.

regards

Don
"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <zAw6b.86771$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > I recently set my 10D to the maximum DOF setting to see how it

performed. I
> > was using a 28mm Tamron zoom. The settings displayed (on this

particular
> > day) at 1/1000 @ F4. I thought that to get maximum DOF you had to use a
> > small F stop (F22 etc). What gives, and what have I got wrong"
> >
> > --
> > Don From Down Under

> What do you mean when you say you set it to the maximum DOF setting?
> Were you using the A-DEP mode?
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Todd Walker
> http://twalker.d2g.com
> Canon 10D:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
> My Digital Photography Weblog:
> http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
> _________________________________

MarkH

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:gPB6b.8957$(E-Mail Removed) :

> You have to focus twice in DEP mode - once on the nearest thing you
> want in focua and once on the furthest. If they are very close
> together the camera will set a large aperture. If they are far apart
> the camera will set a small aperture. I never use DEP mode but use the
> dof preview button all the time.

You are getting the 10D A-DEP mode confused with the 1D/1Ds DEP mode.

With the 10D A-DEP the camera attempts to get everything in all 7 AF points
into the depth of focus area. Personally I just use the Av mode instead
and set what I think will achieve the result that I want.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Tony Spadaro

I didn't realise Canon had changed the way it works. I guess that means
the camera was pointed at a parallel surface -- like a wall, in order to set
f4.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto