Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camera as a camcorder, quality compare

Digital camera as a camcorder, quality compare

Daniel

Since underwater housings for camcorders are really expensive,
I'm thinking of buying a digital camera with a good movie mode
instead. But how good is a 640*480 30 f/s movie mode,
compared to a miniDV camcorder?

What digital cameras can record movie clips of 640*480 30 f/s?
Any suggestions for under $700?

Best regards,
Daniel

Lucas Tam

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news866b.2264$P51.5297@amstwist00:

> But how good is a 640*480 30 f/s movie mode,
> compared to a miniDV camcorder?

Not as good as a MiniDV camcorder. Often you lose out on Zoom (most
digicams don't have zoom in movie mode), low light features, white
balancing, stereo sound, etc etc.

Basically digital cameras are better for still photographs. DV cams are
better for movies.

> What digital cameras can record movie clips of 640*480 30 f/s?
> Any suggestions for under $700?

Fuji S602, Fuji S7000, and i believe several sony models as well.

--
Lucas Tam ((E-Mail Removed))

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:14:18 +0200, in rec.photo.digital "Daniel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since underwater housings for camcorders are really expensive,
>I'm thinking of buying a digital camera with a good movie mode
>instead. But how good is a 640*480 30 f/s movie mode,
>compared to a miniDV camcorder?
>
>What digital cameras can record movie clips of 640*480 30 f/s?
>Any suggestions for under $700?

One thing to consider besides quality is how long of clips you'll be able
to get on flash media vs. tape.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Larry R Harrison Jr

"Lucas Tam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns93EDAEE93B322nntprogerscom@140.99.99.130.. .
> "Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news866b.2264$P51.5297@amstwist00:
>
> > But how good is a 640*480 30 f/s movie mode,
> > compared to a miniDV camcorder?

> Not as good as a MiniDV camcorder. Often you lose out on Zoom (most
> digicams don't have zoom in movie mode), low light features, white
> balancing, stereo sound, etc etc.
>
> Basically digital cameras are better for still photographs. DV cams are
> better for movies.

Exactly. In the same light, some camcorders have rudimentary still
photo-taking abilities, but nowhere near as good as a regular still camera.

Basically, at this point, you're asking too much to have a camera that does
both well. The 2 types of photography are sufficiently different that a
camera geared towards one is inevitably going to suffer with the other. Sort
of like how, say, a Corvette is great at being sporty, fast, etc--but lousy
at cargo-carrying ability. Meanwhile a mid-sized car has room but isn't
going to be as sporty (although some like BMW do a great job of blending
both into one quite well).

Marvin Margoshes

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news866b.2264$P51.5297@amstwist00...
> Since underwater housings for camcorders are really expensive,
> I'm thinking of buying a digital camera with a good movie mode
> instead. But how good is a 640*480 30 f/s movie mode,
> compared to a miniDV camcorder?
>
> What digital cameras can record movie clips of 640*480 30 f/s?
> Any suggestions for under $700?
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel

You can't take long videos with a digicam in that mode. You might get 4
minutes of video on a 128 Mb card. Then you'd have to surface to change the
card.