Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Polarising filters

Polarising filters

Peter Billinghurst

I use polarising filters a lot for slide photography. Is there any point in
doing so with digital? If there is, can they be obtained for non-slr
cameras that do not have fixed lenses?

Peter

Brian Z

I'm not sure which non-SLR cameras you're referring to that have removeable
lenses, but either way, digital cameras will benefit in the same manner as
film. For some digital cameras you can use the same linear polarizers that
you use with film cameras, but in other cases you must use a circular
polarizer, which works with all and is recommended.
-Brian

"Peter Billinghurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj7mb0$g2h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use polarising filters a lot for slide photography. Is there any point

in
> doing so with digital? If there is, can they be obtained for non-slr
> cameras that do not have fixed lenses?
>
> Peter

Jeff

There is absolutely a need for polarising filter for digital. You
can't the glare off water in photoshop.
I use one on my Canon G3. The camera needs a $20 adapter to allow a
treaded filter.

-Jeff

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:38:07 +0100, "Peter Billinghurst"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use polarising filters a lot for slide photography. Is there any point in
>doing so with digital? If there is, can they be obtained for non-slr
>cameras that do not have fixed lenses?
>
>Peter

JD

> I use polarising filters a lot for slide photography. Is there any point in
> doing so with digital?

Why would that be any different? Think about WHY you are using the filters
now. Why would you not use them with a digital camera for the same reasons?

> If there is, can they be obtained for non-slr
> cameras that do not have fixed lenses?

Sure. I just have one big one and hold it in front of any camera I am using.

Paul H.

"Peter Billinghurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj7mb0$g2h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use polarising filters a lot for slide photography. Is there any point

in
> doing so with digital? If there is, can they be obtained for non-slr
> cameras that do not have fixed lenses?

Since polarizer filters modify the light coming into the camera, they can be
used with any light sensor, film, CCD, CMOS, or whatever, and they work in
exactly the same way.

Polarizers work quite well with digital cameras and many non-slr camera have
threads for accepting such filters. Most of the other cameras which don't
natively possess filter threads can be outfitted post-purchase with adapter
tubes and such which will give them filter capability.

Do a Googol search for your particular camera, or go to the manufacturer's
website, and I'm sure you'll come up with a solution.