Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PS 7 - Unsharp Mask Settings

PS 7 - Unsharp Mask Settings

FK

Hi:

Can any one tell me what is the default
setting for PS7's unsharp mask?

Amount %, Radius pixels, and Threshold levels.

Thanks,

FK

Bob Hatch

"FK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj7lk0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
>
> Can any one tell me what is the default
> setting for PS7's unsharp mask?
>
> Amount %, Radius pixels, and Threshold levels.
>
> Thanks,
>
> FK

Don't know what the default is but I use:

Amount 50%
Radius 1 px
Threshold 0

I apply the unsharp mask to the Red Channel and see how it looks and if it
needs more I apply to the Green Channel. Works for me.
--
http://www.bobhatch.com
Our web site about RV Stuff

Bill Hilton

>From: "FK" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Can any one tell me what is the default
>setting for PS7's unsharp mask?
>
>Amount %, Radius pixels, and Threshold levels.

I'm pretty sure it's 50%, radius 1, Threshold 0 ... these are mild settings for
small images typical of what you'd post on the web, typically not strong enough
for printing if your file is very big.

If you want to restore all the defaults just delete the Preferences file and a
new file with defaults is created next time you open Photoshop.

Robert E. Williams

AFAIK, there is NO default setting for USM.
It would be as pointless to have a default setting in USM as it would be
to have a default setting in LEVELS or CURVES.
Each picture will need its own USM settings depending on its size, image
content, prior in-camera sharpening etc., etc..
IN GENERAL:
For about 75% of my 4 MP images, I end up using USM settings somewhere
in the following range
Amount = 100-240%
Radius = 0.5-1.3
Threshold 2.0-10.0
Whatever USM settings you used LAST will re-appear the next time you
open the USM filter, but this is not really a "default" setting.
Bob Williams

FK wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Can any one tell me what is the default
> setting for PS7's unsharp mask?
>
> Amount %, Radius pixels, and Threshold levels.
>
> Thanks,
>
> FK

Flycaster

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm pretty sure it's 50%, radius 1, Threshold 0 ... [snip]

That it is. I just performed my "daily" prefs dump and that is the default
setting.