Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Costco's SUB's

Re: Costco's SUB's

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (ArtKramr)

>I saw a kit at Costco including a magnetic mouse and a 4 port SUB2 unit,
>battery opearted. Can I plug that SUB unit into my SUB port and niw get 4
>ports?

It's Universal Serial Bus or USB, not SUB.

Yes, plug in the hub and get 4 ports minus the one you're using for the hub, so
actually 3 new ones. But a lot of problems with USB interfaces occur with the
hubs, I've heard.

>MySUB port is not SUB2. Will this unit give me a conversuon to SUB2?

No, definitely not.

If you want USB 2 then buy an add-on card at Frys or CompUSA or similar that
has USB 2 support. You'll have to open the computer case and plug it in to an
open PCI slot, then you'll have USB 2 access.

The theoretical speed increase is 40x, from 12 Mbps to 480 Mbps. You won't
really get these transfer rates due to various practical concerns, but still
it's much faster (note the speed is quoted in bits per second, not bytes, since
it's a serial bus). I saw a USB 2 card on special at Frys last week for $9
with a $9 rebate (basically you just pay sales tax) and you can get one with 4
ports pretty cheap, so that's the way to go if you want to upgrade to USB 2 ...
note that not all operating systems support it either, so check ahead of time.

Bill

Dave

You are right about problems with hubs. The PC cannot always i.d. the
device plugged into the hub or detect there is something there. That, at
least, has been my experience.

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: (E-Mail Removed) (ArtKramr)

> >I saw a kit at Costco including a magnetic mouse and a 4 port SUB2 unit,
> >battery opearted. Can I plug that SUB unit into my SUB port and niw get 4
> >ports?

> It's Universal Serial Bus or USB, not SUB.
>
> Yes, plug in the hub and get 4 ports minus the one you're using for the

hub, so
> actually 3 new ones. But a lot of problems with USB interfaces occur with

the
> hubs, I've heard.
>
> >MySUB port is not SUB2. Will this unit give me a conversuon to SUB2?

> No, definitely not.
>
> If you want USB 2 then buy an add-on card at Frys or CompUSA or similar

that
> has USB 2 support. You'll have to open the computer case and plug it in

to an
> open PCI slot, then you'll have USB 2 access.
>
> The theoretical speed increase is 40x, from 12 Mbps to 480 Mbps. You

won't
> really get these transfer rates due to various practical concerns, but

still
> it's much faster (note the speed is quoted in bits per second, not bytes,

since
> it's a serial bus). I saw a USB 2 card on special at Frys last week for

$9
> with a $9 rebate (basically you just pay sales tax) and you can get one

with 4
> ports pretty cheap, so that's the way to go if you want to upgrade to USB

2 ...
> note that not all operating systems support it either, so check ahead of

time.

> Bill

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: Costco's SUB's
>From: (E-Mail Removed)dy (Bill Hilton)
>Date: 9/3/03 12:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time
>
>>From: (E-Mail Removed) (ArtKramr)

>>I saw a kit at Costco including a magnetic mouse and a 4 port SUB2 unit,
>>battery opearted. Can I plug that SUB unit into my SUB port and niw get 4
>>ports?

>It's Universal Serial Bus or USB, not SUB.
>
>Yes, plug in the hub and get 4 ports minus the one you're using for the hub,
>so
>actually 3 new ones. But a lot of problems with USB interfaces occur with
>the
>hubs, I've heard.
>
>>MySUB port is not SUB2. Will this unit give me a conversuon to SUB2?

>No, definitely not.
>
>If you want USB 2 then buy an add-on card at Frys or CompUSA or similar that
>has USB 2 support. You'll have to open the computer case and plug it in to
>an
>open PCI slot, then you'll have USB 2 access.
>
>The theoretical speed increase is 40x, from 12 Mbps to 480 Mbps. You won't
>really get these transfer rates due to various practical concerns, but still
>it's much faster (note the speed is quoted in bits per second, not bytes,
>since
>it's a serial bus). I saw a USB 2 card on special at Frys last week for $9
>with a $9 rebate (basically you just pay sales tax) and you can get one with
>4
>ports pretty cheap, so that's the way to go if you want to upgrade to USB 2
>note that not all operating systems support it either, so check ahead of
>time.
>
>Bill

Thank you. Very helpful

Arthur Kramer