Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bulk Storage and Organizing Photos?

Bulk Storage and Organizing Photos?

Divrdan007

Hello All,
How do most of you store your photos?
Do you use any kind of dedicated "Photo-Album" type software?
I am shooting hi-res (5+mp) images in TIFF format... much more memory required
than simple 2-3mp jpeg's.
I have been thinking of simply starting an archive of CD's.
Is that what most folks do? If so, should I invest in a proper CD labeling
device and software?
I am new to digital still photography, sooooo
I am asking NOW, before I get tons of photos scattered all over my computer's
hard drive. BTW, my computer is equipped with a CD burner and a DVD burner.
I have plenty of hard disk space... but I really don't want to store all my
digital photos on the HD.
I need to keep huge amounts of HD space free for digital video editing. The
video editing software I use, puts all the (finished edited) video into a HD
temp folder just before authoring to DVD or back to tape. I use music,
voice-overs, scene transitions, and other special effects in my vidoes, so
massive chunks of memory are required to do this.
Let me know your thoughts.

Trevor S

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Divrdan007) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello All,
> How do most of you store your photos?

Natively on a HDD, I have a 40GB HDD for pics.

> Do you use any kind of dedicated "Photo-Album" type software?

No, in subdirectories

> I am shooting hi-res (5+mp) images in TIFF format... much more memory
> required than simple 2-3mp jpeg's.
> I have been thinking of simply starting an archive of CD's.

Use your DVD burner for archiving. Store on a HDD for day to day use.

<snip>

> and a DVD burner. I have plenty of hard disk space... but I really
> don't want to store all my digital photos on the HD.

Why not ?

> I need to keep huge amounts of HD space free for digital video
> editing. The video editing software I use, puts all the (finished
> edited) video into a HD temp folder just before authoring to DVD or
> back to tape. I use music, voice-overs, scene transitions, and other
> special effects in my vidoes, so massive chunks of memory are required
> to do this. Let me know your thoughts.

I use a RAID (RAID 0) array with 2 x 120 GB HDD's for video editing, and
a 40GB HDD for still pics, all my pics are stored on a HDD (HDD storage
is fairly cheap and FAST, another option is perhaps an external USB 2
case, and a HDD that you can slide in and out), sorted by sub directory.
I take pics typicallly on a project/event basis and store on that basis.
eg kids birthday party etc etc

I am sure you will get lots of useful reples, read them all and glean the
best ideas that suit your needs. You can ditch your CD burner if you
need another IDE channel

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Andrew McDonald

Divrdan007 wrote:

> Hello All,
> How do most of you store your photos?

On a 160GB hard drive in a removable tray. I only store pictures on the
drive and all my pictures are stored on that drive.

> Do you use any kind of dedicated "Photo-Album" type software?

No. Currently I keep them in folders by year on the drive and then
within each year I have a folder for the event or subject that the
pictures are of. So it might look like:
S:\2002
\20021128 Thanksgiving
\20021212 Mike's Birthday
\20031225 Christmas
\20031231 New Years Eve Party

> I am shooting hi-res (5+mp) images in TIFF format... much more memory required
> than simple 2-3mp jpeg's.
> I have been thinking of simply starting an archive of CD's.
> Is that what most folks do? If so, should I invest in a proper CD labeling
> device and software?

I burn each year to a DVD+RW for backup during the year and when the
year is over I write it to DVD+R.

I also have a 160GB USB external drive that I sync the internal drive to
whenever I add new pictures. I use a program called FileSync so I don't
have to copy everything everytime, just the new/changed files.

> I am asking NOW, before I get tons of photos scattered all over my computer's
> hard drive. BTW, my computer is equipped with a CD burner and a DVD burner.
> I have plenty of hard disk space... but I really don't want to store all my
> digital photos on the HD.

Go ahead and store them all on the HD. Then you can access them easily.
But make sure you have ALL the pictures on the HD backed up in case
you lose the hard drive.

> I need to keep huge amounts of HD space free for digital video editing. The
> video editing software I use, puts all the (finished edited) video into a HD
> temp folder just before authoring to DVD or back to tape. I use music,
> voice-overs, scene transitions, and other special effects in my vidoes, so
> massive chunks of memory are required to do this.

Then get a new hard drive or upgrade your existing drive. 160GB drive
just cost me $159 at Best Buy so I know they can be had cheaper elsewhere.

As another post said you can ditch your CD burner since your DVD burner
will also do CD when you need to. This will free up an IDE port to
connect a new hard drive to. Then you can keep your video hard drive
for editing video and have a new dedicated drive for your pictures.

Douglas W. Hoyt

the drive and all my pictures are stored on that drive.

I have a large (2nd) hard-drive on my computer, and also an 'external' hard
drive that connects via USB. I just picked up another 120gb external drive
online at CompUSA for $99 after rebates. I can't imagine not having a
back-up. Hard-drives can, and do, crash. And an external hard-drive can
easily be removed and kept somewhere else as well.

wolfb

The best way I found is using "Easy-PhotoPrint" that came with my printer.
It allows you to select an index print with up to 80 pix on it. I use cheap
5x7 photo paper and have my photos organized in folders. There may be as
many as 150 in a folder so that becomes a file swaping exersize. Then when
my index prints are done I place the folder in a CD-R and I'm on my way. I
have an album that takes 5x7's and I place the CD right in the sleeve along
with the index print. This keep the hard drive cleaned up and makes
finding something for reprinting easy. Hope that helps.

Wolf-==-

news:(E-Mail Removed) a.net...