Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS 300D- user comments?

Canon EOS 300D- user comments?

Benny

I have just ordered one of these babies- they arrive in Australia in
October. I plan to use it in conjunction with a laptop. There is not much
detail here about what they come with, apart from a lens- can folks who are
already using the 300D comment on how they like it, and what accessories
they think are useful ?

--
Benny
*******

JK

Benny wrote:

> Sorry- I thought they were on the market in some places already, going on
> all those press releases

Don't the press releases list an official release date of September 20th?

> about the camera being launched. " Launch"
> obviously doesn't mean the same to the gang at Canon PR department as it
> does to the rocket boys in Canaveral or Kazhakstan
> --
> Benny
> *******
> "Steven C (Doktersteve)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message news:bRf5b.884979$(E-Mail Removed). ca...
> > They aren't out yet, so I dont think there are many user comment

> available.
> >
> > --
> > Online Photography Portfolio:
> > http://calgary-steven.deviantart.com
> > "Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bj40md$qok$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I have just ordered one of these babies- they arrive in Australia in
> > > October. I plan to use it in conjunction with a laptop. There is not

> much
> > > detail here about what they come with, apart from a lens- can folks who

> > are
> > > already using the 300D comment on how they like it, and what accessories
> > > they think are useful ?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Benny
> > > *******

Michael Meissner

"Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have just ordered one of these babies- they arrive in Australia in
> October. I plan to use it in conjunction with a laptop. There is not much
> detail here about what they come with, apart from a lens- can folks who are
> already using the 300D comment on how they like it, and what accessories
> they think are useful ?

Note, what accessories that come with the camera often times vary with the
region the camera is released in. I believe that it doesn't come with any
media cards, so you might want to order some CF cards. A lot of people
(including me) like having a multi-coated UV filter to protect the lens, though
there is a school of thought that says any extra glass can lead to lens flare
and image degradation, and that you should just be more careful with the lens
and not use a filter. A circular polarizing filter is also quite useful,
particularly when shooting in the sun.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Albert Voss

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:11:23 +1000, "Benny"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have just ordered one of these babies- they arrive in Australia in
>October. I plan to use it in conjunction with a laptop. There is not much
>detail here about what they come with, apart from a lens- can folks who are
>already using the 300D comment on how they like it, and what accessories
>they think are useful ?

- A lens shade if not included in the package

- the 17-55 mm lens as a kit bundled to the body (even if it only as
good as the money that its costs its a goog starter anyway)

- the handgrip (I had the old Rebel and liked the handgrip very much,
because the body is really small for bigger hands)

- the viewfinder extender helps much for people with glasses, could be
that the old one fits on the 300D too.

- a pcmcia /cardbus CF-reader. Its much faster than to attach the body
to the laptop for transfers.

Albert

Jim Townsend

Benny wrote:

> Sorry- I thought they were on the market in some places already, going on
> all those press releases about the camera being launched. " Launch"
> obviously doesn't mean the same to the gang at Canon PR department as it
> does to the rocket boys in Canaveral or Kazhakstan

Or Woomera

I don't know about 'launch', but there's a difference between when a product is
announced and when it actually goes on sale.

I think the 300D won't be shipped until mid-late September.. (This could vary
by region)

I follow rec.photo.digtial daily, and haven't seen any first hand user reports
here.... yet.

Benny

Thanks to all who responded- especially Albert and Michael (see below) -
some good tips for a digital newbie like me.
--
Benny
*******
"Albert Voss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 16:11:23 +1000, "Benny"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have just ordered one of these babies- they arrive in Australia in
> >October. I plan to use it in conjunction with a laptop. There is not much
> >detail here about what they come with, apart from a lens- can folks who

are
> >already using the 300D comment on how they like it, and what accessories
> >they think are useful ?

> - A lens shade if not included in the package
>
> - the 17-55 mm lens as a kit bundled to the body (even if it only as
> good as the money that its costs its a goog starter anyway)
>
> - the handgrip (I had the old Rebel and liked the handgrip very much,
> because the body is really small for bigger hands)
>
> - the viewfinder extender helps much for people with glasses, could be
> that the old one fits on the 300D too.
>
> - a pcmcia /cardbus CF-reader. Its much faster than to attach the body
> to the laptop for transfers.
>
> Albert

Note, what accessories that come with the camera often times vary with the
region the camera is released in. I believe that it doesn't come with any
media cards, so you might want to order some CF cards. A lot of people
(including me) like having a multi-coated UV filter to protect the lens,
though
there is a school of thought that says any extra glass can lead to lens
flare
and image degradation, and that you should just be more careful with the
lens
and not use a filter. A circular polarizing filter is also quite useful,
particularly when shooting in the sun.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.the-meissners.org

Steve D

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:44:22 -0400, "Mark B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Benny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bj40md$qok$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have just ordered one of these babies- they arrive in Australia in
>> October. I plan to use it in conjunction with a laptop. There is not much
>> detail here about what they come with, apart from a lens- can folks who

>are
>> already using the 300D comment on how they like it, and what accessories
>> they think are useful ?
>>
>> --
>> Benny
>> *******
>>

>It hasn't arrived ANYWHERE yet. Watch dpreview.com for a full review by the
>end of the week.
>
>Mark

How about let's play "which country the 300D shows up in first"
game....
Steve