Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Affects of a PL filter on white balance and white balance (D100)

Affects of a PL filter on white balance and white balance (D100)

jeff liss

I'm still expirimenting with the white balance settings on my D100.
Usually I use a B+W UV filter, but I've always liked a PL. Question,
what affects will the PL have on the camera's white balance
(outdoors)? I know I'll lose 1-2/3 stops, but will the camera be able
to adjust for the PL?

Also, when using the "correct" white balance (I stay away from auto),
I hardly notice any difference between when it's set a "0" and when I
shoot in +1 or +2. Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jeff

Andrew

white balance is a very tricky topic - check luminous-lanscape for a
backgrounder.

on my D100 I leave "auto" set and always shoot "RAW".
That way you can adjust the white balance in Nikon Capture on your PC (I
think you can do the same in Nikon View too)
That way you don't have to make a marginal decision on WB settings based on
the camera's LCD image. Ambient light can be a funny old thing at times.

under some light conditions, you will see almost no difference between
cloudy, shade and direct sunlight - that does not surprise me. If you take a
RAW image and change the settings on screen you can see that the colours do
change very slightly

Re. PL - I use a "moose filter" (81A + PL in one) and this gives a slightly
warm effect to my pix which is how I like them.
On the occasions I don't want the waming effect of the 81A, then in NC I can
correct this back out. Just depends on what the majority of your shots will
need.
As for the PL - every landscape photographer should always consider using a
PL. the "moose filter" means you don't have to mess about adding one for
just a shot or two and if you don;t want the PL effect, then just turn it to
a (near-)zero effect.
the moose filter looses around 1 stop, but I tend to take all my landscapes
on longer exposures in any case, so this is not an issue for me

Andrew

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...