Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CF card reliability

CF card reliability

Ray Clayton

Does there seem to be any reliable, empirical information on the
relative reliability of different makes of compact flash cards?

Ray

Con Boylan

Don't buy Integral. They are crap, and definitely don't buy from UkDigital
as their customer service is even worse. They would not exchange my faulty
card.

"Ray Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does there seem to be any reliable, empirical information on the
> relative reliability of different makes of compact flash cards?
>
> Ray

Samuel Paik

Ray Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does there seem to be any reliable, empirical information on the
> relative reliability of different makes of compact flash cards?

It is probably unlikely that this information would be easily
available for a number of reasons. For one thing, the reliability
of chips is likely to vary from batch to batch even within one
manufacturer, and it is likely that card manufacturers don't
even use the same chip manufacturer, much less chip model,
throughout the lifetime of a card model manufacturing run.

Additionally, unless you have a really bad batch, flash memory
chips are quite reliable. I do have a flash card which failed,
after being used as a hard disk continuously (24x365) for over
6 years in a hot environment.

Sam

Tumbleweed

"Ray Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does there seem to be any reliable, empirical information on the
> relative reliability of different makes of compact flash cards?
>
> Ray

No.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

Nick Bennett

"Con Boylan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj47o0$kp7$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't buy Integral. They are crap, and definitely don't buy from UkDigital

Agree with the comment about Integral cards. Just had one fail - losing all
my holiday photos. Not happy.

Nick

Graeme

Ray Clayton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does there seem to be any reliable, empirical information on the
> relative reliability of different makes of compact flash cards?
>
> Ray

I had a 256M Fuji card fail. Sent it back to Fuji as they offer some sort of
rescue service. Let's see what happens.

NJH

I can't find it right now, but my recollection is that somewhere in the
documentation supplied with a camera Minolta recommended Lexar and SanDisk
brands of CompactFlash cards. So those are the brands I use, and I have had
no problems so far.

Neil