Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OCR Software - Cleaning Lines

OCR Software - Cleaning Lines

JoeAley2003

Hi all.

I am developing an OCR software that scans a document that has lines
like this:

--------------
Name: My name
--------------
Address:
--------------

but the paper is not clean as it should be, so i need to remove this
lines to do the OCR.

To do so, i need a "dll" or "so" or function or anything that can
incorporate to a VB software or could be translated to.

The Confax - Toolkit 3.1 is a good example of what i need, but it's
too expensive.

Please, if you can help, post it.

Bill Crocker

Your OCR software should be able to do that for you. What are you using?

Bill Crocker

"JoeAley2003" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi all.
>

> I am developing an OCR software that scans a document that has lines
> like this:
>

> --------------
> Name: My name
> --------------
> Address:
> --------------
>

> but the paper is not clean as it should be, so i need to remove this
> lines to do the OCR.
>
> To do so, i need a "dll" or "so" or function or anything that can
> incorporate to a VB software or could be translated to.
>
> The Confax - Toolkit 3.1 is a good example of what i need, but it's
> too expensive.
>
> Please, if you can help, post it.

Xalinai

On 2 Sep 2003 17:44:40 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (JoeAley2003)
wrote:

>Hi all.
>

>I am developing an OCR software that scans a document that has lines
>like this:
>

> --------------
> Name: My name
> --------------
> Address:
> --------------
>

>but the paper is not clean as it should be, so i need to remove this
>lines to do the OCR.

Good OCR software (Omnipage since Version 9, Finereader, Recognita,
...) uses the grey values of the whole paper, estimates the color of
the page (some even gradients) to differentiate bad print and and wood
splinters in the paper.

Professional OCR software has forms management already.

Are you goind to re-invent the wheel?

Calculate the value of your work-time, buy something that does a
decent job and get paid for doing the setup.

Michael
>To do so, i need a "dll" or "so" or function or anything that can
>incorporate to a VB software or could be translated to.
>
>The Confax - Toolkit 3.1 is a good example of what i need, but it's
>too expensive.
>
>Please, if you can help, post it.

n8 skow

I believe that by "I am developing an OCR software..." he meant he's writing
his own...

n8

> Your OCR software should be able to do that for you. What are you using?
>
> Bill Crocker

Nicholas Sherlock

n8 skow wrote:
> I believe that by "I am developing an OCR software..." he meant he's
> writing his own...

If his main problem is "Cleaning lines", then I don't think he will achieve
his goal .

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Nicholas Sherlock

n8 skow wrote:
> I believe that by "I am developing an OCR software..." he meant he's
> writing his own...

The next question will probably be: "How do I typecast my TImage containing
the scanned text to a string" .

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Mark Grebner

> I am developing an OCR software that scans a document that has lines
> like this:

> Name: My name

. . .

I'm not sure I understand the question, but SCANFIX may be an answer
for you - it's a fairly sophisticated image fixer, specifically
intended for pre-OCR use.