Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus Mju 4000 - Focus Problem at Full Zoom

Olympus Mju 4000 - Focus Problem at Full Zoom

Nigel Whitwood

I recently purchased the above and am very happy with it, with one
exception. At full zoom it has difficulty focusing on distant
objects/scenes, (green led blinks). If I back off a little it works
OK. The problem occurres irrespective of the mode I use, (ie
landscape, portrait etc).

Anyone else seen this ?

Thanks in advance

Nigel

JK

This is probably due to the fact that the lens lets relatively little
light through at full telephoto(it is at f5.2). Try setting the ISO
on the camera to 320 which is its maximum, and using the
camera in bright light.The move to ISO 320 will make the
sensor more sensitive to light, but also decreases image
quality. If you can return the camera, I suggest that you do
so, and buy an Olympus C4000 instead. The C4000 is only
around $350, yet its lens is a constant f2.8, and lets through more
than 3 times as much light as the lens on the Stylus 400
at full telephoto. The C4000 is a bit larger than the Stylus
400 though.