Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Sony F828 at ISO greater than 100

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Sony F828 at ISO greater than 100

 
 
FishMaze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
Thanks to everyone who responded. It's so valuable (for an newbie like me)
to have you people as a resource.
FM


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003

FishMaze wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded. It's so valuable (for an newbie like me)
> to have you people as a resource.
> FM


Be careful when using the term "you people". It appears that some "people"
take offense at being called "people" and actually try to have you fired for
using that term on the base of racism. I know it sounds completely
ridiculous, but some poor guy I worked with a few years ago got fired for
using that very phrase in a way no more intentionally meaning to be racist as
you were. But with "people" today, you have to watch every friggin word
you say. It is sad, but unfortunately true.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew McDonald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
JD wrote:
> Be careful when using the term "you people". It appears that some "people"
> take offense at being called "people" and actually try to have you fired for
> using that term on the base of racism. I know it sounds completely
> ridiculous, but some poor guy I worked with a few years ago got fired for
> using that very phrase in a way no more intentionally meaning to be racist as
> you were. But with "people" today, you have to watch every friggin word
> you say. It is sad, but unfortunately true.


Yeah. We had a very politically correct woman get upset when an email
was sent "thanking you all for manning the help desk over the weekend".

She took offense at the term "manning" since it did not include women.

She was a silly bitch.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew McDonald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
MarkH wrote:
> I am not doubting your assessment of this woman, as I donít know her. But
> when I looked up manning on dictionary.com (because I never thought of it
> as sexist until I read your post about someone objecting to the term) and
> under the usage notes was this "Fifty-six percent of the Panel (61 percent
> of the women and 54 percent of the men) disapprove of the sentence Members
> of the League of Women Voters will be manning the registration desk."
>
> So maybe the silly bitch had a valid point?


That was not the only silly thing she did. She was one of those people
who would probably take offense at the term human or even woman.

She just took things to extremes.

 
Reply With Quote
 
JD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
> > Yeah. We had a very politically correct woman get upset when an email
> > was sent "thanking you all for manning the help desk over the
> > weekend".
> >
> > She took offense at the term "manning" since it did not include women.
> >
> > She was a silly bitch.

>
> I am not doubting your assessment of this woman, as I donít know her. But
> when I looked up manning on dictionary.com (because I never thought of it
> as sexist until I read your post about someone objecting to the term) and
> under the usage notes was this "Fifty-six percent of the Panel (61 percent
> of the women and 54 percent of the men) disapprove of the sentence Members
> of the League of Women Voters will be manning the registration desk."
>
> So maybe the silly bitch had a valid point?


No, these are just words and phrases, and in many cases, just as these, there
was no INTENT to offend anyone! People are going out of their way to find
something offensive about every sentence, then hurt someone for saying it,
even if they had to intent to offend.

In the case of a co-worker of mine who was reprimanded for using the phrase
"you people" towards a table of people that contained both whites and blacks
when one of the blacks at the table cried it was a racist remark, the
co-worker stated that he was sorry, he did not realize that blacks did not
like to be refereed to as "people" and would she have preferred the term
"animals" instead or what else? He also made it clear that he had no intent
to offend, as if he did, he could probably come up with a word describing
blacks that was much more offensive than "people"

The story above about having to poll people to find out if people find a
phrase offensive, and what percentage do, shows how far people will go to try
and look for more ways to find something that is offensive that was never
intended to be, just to be silly.

If someone wants to be offensive, you won't have to take a survey or research
to see if it is offensive or not, it will be obvious.

Instead of "manning the registration desk" they would have said something
like: "No friggin BROADS at the registration desk because they should be in
the kitchen cooking where they belong" if they wanted to be offensive to
women.

One day, just as we have to now pronounce words like Uranus and Harassment
differently because they became offensive for no intentional reasons, we will
no longer be able to say Broadcasting and have to pronounce that word
differently. Hopefully I will be dead before that happens so I don't have to
see it happen.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven C \(Doktersteve\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003

"Andrew McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4nS4b.5597$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> MarkH wrote:
> > I am not doubting your assessment of this woman, as I donít know her.

But
> > when I looked up manning on dictionary.com (because I never thought of

it
> > as sexist until I read your post about someone objecting to the term)

and
> > under the usage notes was this "Fifty-six percent of the Panel (61

percent
> > of the women and 54 percent of the men) disapprove of the sentence

Members
> > of the League of Women Voters will be manning the registration desk."
> >
> > So maybe the silly bitch had a valid point?

>
> That was not the only silly thing she did. She was one of those people
> who would probably take offense at the term human or even woman.
>
> She just took things to extremes.
>


The key word used in the above statement is "Probably".


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ann Meffert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
So, you were working with Ross Perot on his presidential bid, eh?

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

FishMaze wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded. It's so valuable (for an newbie like

me)
> to have you people as a resource.
> FM


Be careful when using the term "you people". It appears that some
"people"
take offense at being called "people" and actually try to have you fired
for
using that term on the base of racism. I know it sounds completely
ridiculous, but some poor guy I worked with a few years ago got fired
for
using that very phrase in a way no more intentionally meaning to be
racist as
you were. But with "people" today, you have to watch every friggin
word
you say. It is sad, but unfortunately true.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Unclaimed Mysteries
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
JD wrote in part:


> Be careful when using the term "you people". It appears that some "people"
> take offense at being called "people" and actually try to have you fired for
> using that term on the base of racism. I know it sounds completely
> ridiculous, but some poor guy I worked with a few years ago got fired for
> using that very phrase in a way no more intentionally meaning to be racist as
> you were.


You worked with Ross Perot?

Corry
--

It Came From C. L. Smith's Unclaimed Mysteries.
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

"I think all foreigners should stop interfering in the internal affairs
of Iraq." --Paul Wolfowitz

 
Reply With Quote
 
andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
JD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > Yeah. We had a very politically correct woman get upset when an email
>> > was sent "thanking you all for manning the help desk over the
>> > weekend".
>> >
>> > She took offense at the term "manning" since it did not include women.
>> >
>> > She was a silly bitch.

>>
>> I am not doubting your assessment of this woman, as I donít know her. But
>> when I looked up manning on dictionary.com (because I never thought of it
>> as sexist until I read your post about someone objecting to the term) and
>> under the usage notes was this "Fifty-six percent of the Panel (61 percent
>> of the women and 54 percent of the men) disapprove of the sentence Members
>> of the League of Women Voters will be manning the registration desk."
>>
>> So maybe the silly bitch had a valid point?


> No, these are just words and phrases, and in many cases, just as
> these, there was no INTENT to offend anyone! People are going out
> of their way to find something offensive about every sentence, then
> hurt someone for saying it, even if they had to intent to offend.


Years ago, Hofstadter wrote about this. His idea, whenever coming
across such cases, was to substitute race-specific (rather than
gender-specific) words, and see what the result looks like. So, ble
and whe for she and he, white and black for man and woman, and so on:

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs...gs/purity.html

Andrew.
 
Reply With Quote
 
JD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-02-2003
> > No, these are just words and phrases, and in many cases, just as
> > these, there was no INTENT to offend anyone! People are going out
> > of their way to find something offensive about every sentence, then
> > hurt someone for saying it, even if they had to intent to offend.

>
> Years ago, Hofstadter wrote about this. His idea, whenever coming
> across such cases, was to substitute race-specific (rather than
> gender-specific) words, and see what the result looks like. So, ble
> and whe for she and he, white and black for man and woman, and so on:
>
> http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs...gs/purity.html


Another interesting thing to note is that when one person accuses another of
being racist, it is always because the other person happens to be of a different
race, never the same. So in fact, it requires a bit of racism to call someone
a racist.

When you see a comedian of a certain race making jokes against that race, they
are never called racists, yet other people saying the same statements will be
labeled racists based on what race they are.

People who call others racists, are racists.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tetration (print 100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100^100) jononanon@googlemail.com C Programming 5 04-25-2012 08:49 PM
Leica (Sony sensor) native 100 ISO, not Nikon (200 ISO)? RichA Digital Photography 0 12-18-2009 10:22 PM
array greater than 100 P.N. C Programming 18 03-19-2006 09:33 PM
Is Sigma's SD10 at ISO 1600 better than Canon's 1Ds at ISO 100? Georgette Preddy Digital Photography 14 07-15-2004 04:16 AM
SONY DSC-F828 samples (images and video) and ISO comparison Alexander Kurz Digital Photography 3 01-10-2004 07:57 PM



Advertisments