Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I just want to print a 4 x 6!

I just want to print a 4 x 6!

Howard Barkan

OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!

Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
4x6 pictures from it.

I have 4x6 glossy photo paper, a Canon S750 printer (this is not a question
about what printer, just a "how to", thanks).

I've got a few different photo editing software programs. For example,
Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.

Here's what I'm doing:

1. Transfer the photos to my PC, obviously.
2. Open them up in Photoshop.
3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).
4. Set my print software to match the paper, etc.

What is happening is this (although I've tried so many things I may have
lost track)

The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the middle.

When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.

I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do it!
I've tried a few other programs I have, with no success.

Any help? Would be much appreciated, thanks.

Roger

Hi,
Maybe in Print Setup, you did not change the paper size to 4X6..I've
accidentally done this myself earlier on....
Roger

Howard Barkan

Thanks -- but I don't see a Resize command under the Image menu. There's
Image Size and Canvas Size. I've tried adjusting both of these, but still
having problems.

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Here's what I'm doing:
> >
> > 1. Transfer the photos to my PC, obviously.
> > 2. Open them up in Photoshop.
> > 3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
> > height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).
> > 4. Set my print software to match the paper, etc.
> >
> > What is happening is this (although I've tried so many things I may have
> > lost track)
> >
> > The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the

> middle.
> >
> > When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I

only
> > get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.
> >
> > I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do

> it!
> > I've tried a few other programs I have, with no success.

> Are you using Image, Resize, then Image Size?

Howard Barkan

Thanks -- but yes, I did change the paper size to 4 x 6.

It's very strange. and frustrating. There's gotta be something dumb that
I'm doing (won't be the first time!)

"Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IHO4b.45858$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hi,
> Maybe in Print Setup, you did not change the paper size to 4X6..I've
> accidentally done this myself earlier on....
> Roger

Joseph Meehan

I suggest you use the software that came with the printer. It will be a
lot more straight forward and easier to use. It should handle it for you.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Howard Barkan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!
>
> Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
> 4x6 pictures from it.
>
> I have 4x6 glossy photo paper, a Canon S750 printer (this is not a

question
> about what printer, just a "how to", thanks).
>
> I've got a few different photo editing software programs. For example,
> Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.
>
> Here's what I'm doing:
>
> 1. Transfer the photos to my PC, obviously.
> 2. Open them up in Photoshop.
> 3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
> height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).
> 4. Set my print software to match the paper, etc.
>
> What is happening is this (although I've tried so many things I may have
> lost track)
>
> The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the

middle.

> When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
> get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.
>
> I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do

it!
> I've tried a few other programs I have, with no success.
>
> Any help? Would be much appreciated, thanks.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Howard Barkan" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
>4x6 pictures from it.
>
>Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.
>
>2. Open them up in Photoshop.
>3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
>height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).

For printing without resampling the pixels you should uncheck the 'resample
image' box in Image > Image Size and change the Width parameter in the
'Document Size' box (I'm looking at Photoshop 7 so the syntax may be slightly
different, but the basics should be the same). You need to uncheck 'resample
image', this is the mistake most people make.

>What is happening is this
>
>The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the middle.

This likely means you resampled when you resized, which you didn't really want
to do.

>When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
>get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.

This shouldn't happen at all if you set the right parameter in "Document Size".
What are the original pixel dimensions of your image, and do these change when
you resize?

>I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do it!

You should be able to use the Image > Image Size command and then print without
any hassles.

Bill

tim sewell

"Howard Barkan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!
>
> 3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
> height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).

The change to 5.333*4 is inevitable if you try to keep the image proportions
unchanged, since the shape of your original photograph has sides with a
ratio of 4:3.

To make a genuine 6*4 you have to accept that some of the image will be
cropped off. ie you change to 6* 4.5, and then crop 0.5 inches off to get
down to 6*4.

Norm

Howard, if you want something really simple go to this site
http://www.jgraff.addr.com/ scroll down and download Easy Jpeg Printer, it's
free and couldn't be easier. If you happen to be running XP, it has a
simple printing wizard.

"Howard Barkan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!
>
> Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
> 4x6 pictures from it.
>
> I have 4x6 glossy photo paper, a Canon S750 printer (this is not a

question
> about what printer, just a "how to", thanks).
>
> I've got a few different photo editing software programs. For example,
> Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.
>
> Here's what I'm doing:
>
> 1. Transfer the photos to my PC, obviously.
> 2. Open them up in Photoshop.
> 3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
> height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).
> 4. Set my print software to match the paper, etc.
>
> What is happening is this (although I've tried so many things I may have
> lost track)
>
> The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the

middle.

> When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
> get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.
>
> I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do

it!
> I've tried a few other programs I have, with no success.
>
> Any help? Would be much appreciated, thanks.

Howard Barkan

This was a big help, thanks! (and thanks to everyone else's suggestions
too)

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: "Howard Barkan" (E-Mail Removed)

> >Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print

simple
> >4x6 pictures from it.
> >
> >Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.
> >
> >2. Open them up in Photoshop.
> >3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
> >height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).

> For printing without resampling the pixels you should uncheck the

'resample
> image' box in Image > Image Size and change the Width parameter in the
> 'Document Size' box (I'm looking at Photoshop 7 so the syntax may be

slightly
> different, but the basics should be the same). You need to uncheck

'resample
> image', this is the mistake most people make.
>
> >What is happening is this
> >
> >The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the

middle.

> This likely means you resampled when you resized, which you didn't really

want
> to do.
>
> >When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
> >get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.

> This shouldn't happen at all if you set the right parameter in "Document

Size".
> What are the original pixel dimensions of your image, and do these change

when
> you resize?
>
> >I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do

it!

> You should be able to use the Image > Image Size command and then print

without
> any hassles.
>
> Bill

Ron Hunter

Howard Barkan wrote:
> OK, there has got to be an easier way to do this!
>
> Just got a camera a couple weeks ago. I'd like to be able to print simple
> 4x6 pictures from it.
>
> I have 4x6 glossy photo paper, a Canon S750 printer (this is not a question
> about what printer, just a "how to", thanks).
>
> I've got a few different photo editing software programs. For example,
> Adobe Photoshop Limited Edition.
>
> Here's what I'm doing:
>
> 1. Transfer the photos to my PC, obviously.
> 2. Open them up in Photoshop.
> 3. Under Image, choose Image Size and change Print Size to 6 wide x 4
> height (it changes it to 5.333 x 4, but that's not my problem yet).
> 4. Set my print software to match the paper, etc.
>
> What is happening is this (although I've tried so many things I may have
> lost track)
>
> The image on the screen shrinks down to a very small picture in the middle.
>
> When I print, it prints the image so large, that on the 4x6 paper, I only
> get maybe 1/4 of the entire picture.
>
> I know there's gotta be an easier way to print, since so many people do it!
> I've tried a few other programs I have, with no success.
>
> Any help? Would be much appreciated, thanks.

Download Irfanview 3.85. It is FREE, and you can specify the size of
the print. It does everything else for you. NO hassle.