Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo Printers

Photo Printers

ElectricWind

Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done at
a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to a
ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

Charles Schuler

"ElectricWind" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MjM4b.17565$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done

at
> a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to

> ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
> good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

Naw, they are good enough. When you print, you have to follow some menu
choices ... for example, Properties, Custom, Advanced and then pick
intelligent choices for paper, dithering, microweave, dpi, color correction,
etc. It does take a little experimentation to get the best results. Many
folks just don't take enough time to learn how to use what they have. Some
Epson printers, some Canon printers, some HP printers and others will
produce awesome prints with photo quality paper. And you don't have to
spend a lot of money on the printer (but the paper and ink might do you
in!). Also, it takes time to print in high quality.

Andrew McDonald

ElectricWind wrote:
> Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done at
> a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to a
> ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
> good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

Remember the sales drone at Ritz is there to get you to spend money at
his store. Of course he is going to tell you that photo printers suck.

Get a decent printer (Epson's are very nice) and print away.

I shocked my daughter a couple weeks ago by having pictures of her and
her boyfriend in the pool printed before she even got out. I was able
to hand them very high quality 4x6 prints when they walked in the door.

I also like that I can get immediate results from my printer and if I
don't like something I can reprint it.

That said, I still upload large batches to a place like ClubPhoto.com
since printing 100 photos would take a while.

mark_digital©

"Andrew McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BTO4b.5358$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I shocked my daughter a couple weeks ago by having pictures of her and
> her boyfriend in the pool printed before she even got out.

It's no big secret you are a digital fan so why would your daughter be
shocked?
She didn't know daddy was home? Hmmmmm

mark_digital©

"ElectricWind" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MjM4b.17565$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done

at
> a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to

> ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
> good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

It may take awhile but yours will definitely look better.

Andrew McDonald

mark_digital© wrote:

> "Andrew McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BTO4b.5358$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>
>>I shocked my daughter a couple weeks ago by having pictures of her and
>>her boyfriend in the pool printed before she even got out.

> It's no big secret you are a digital fan so why would your daughter be
> shocked?
> She didn't know daddy was home? Hmmmmm

She was surprised that I could make prints and have them ready when she
got out. She did not know I had a new printer.

EPSON 830 IS nice cheap and good

did a couple of test prints
dried them for 24hrs
washed them under running tap water
NO FADE, NOTHING CAME OUT

3 months beside the window test and still looking good
just make SURE you use only epson ink for this printer........

"Moses Fridlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:F1O4b.97893$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> Try the Epson 2200 you'll be very happy with the results.
>
> "ElectricWind" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:MjM4b.17565$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> > Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally"

done
> at
> > a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went

> > ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers

aren't
> > good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

Gary Eickmeier

"ElectricWind" <****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MjM4b.17565$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Can a home photo printer look as good as getting it "professionally" done

at
> a photo place? All digital of course. I was wondering because I went to

> ritz camera and the guy behind the counter said home photo printers aren't
> good enough yet and that getting them done there was the best way.

The "professionals" at a place like the local Ritz would not be able or
willing to take the care that you could in printing your pictures. There are
two reasons for this: The image as it comes out of the camera is only
approximately ready to print. You may well want to adjust aspects of the
exposure and color. They will never take the time to do any of that, nor
would they be capable or know how you want it. Secondly, if you have a great
printer like my Canon i950, it can optimize the print in certain ways that
just make it "pop" right off the page much better than if it were straight
printed by some dumb mass printer. It's almost foolproof, whereas the
results you get from any merchandiser will be variable at best. They are a
good way to get a lot of proofs printed up at one time, but most of the time
you don't need that. You can evaluate your images on the computer.

Gary Eickmeier

Asbjørn Bjørnstad

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Secondly, if you have a great printer like my Canon i950, it can
> optimize the print in certain ways that just make it "pop" right off
> the page much better than if it were straight printed by some dumb
> mass printer. It's almost foolproof, whereas the results you get
> from any merchandiser will be variable at best.

Just bought a i850 last weekend, but so far the prints have been far
from popping. Dull or hazy is probably a better word. I've found some
color management tips on the web, but the prints still look hazy. My
screen is not properly calibrated (Powerbook lcd screen.), so the
color management thing may be pointless, but I think the main problem
is that the blacks aren't black so contrast is lost.
--
-asbjxrn

Asbjørn Bjørnstad

Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> > > Secondly, if you have a great printer like my Canon i950, it can
> > > optimize the print in certain ways that just make it "pop" right off
> > > the page much better than if it were straight printed by some dumb
> > > mass printer. It's almost foolproof, whereas the results you get
> > > from any merchandiser will be variable at best.

> > Just bought a i850 last weekend, but so far the prints have been far
> > from popping. Dull or hazy is probably a better word. I've found some
> > color management tips on the web, but the prints still look hazy. My
> > screen is not properly calibrated (Powerbook lcd screen.), so the
> > color management thing may be pointless, but I think the main problem
> > is that the blacks aren't black so contrast is lost.
> >

> What kind of paper are you using with your i850? It is a fantastic
> printer (I have the S820,) and should produce stunning results with the
> right paper. For absolute best results, use Canon Photo Paper Pro. The
> Office Depot premium high gloss photo paper works well also. If you like
> matte, get the Red River Polar Placid 76 lb.

So far I have used the Photo paper plus Gloss, but I just bought some
photo paper pro that I will test. My first print did produce black
blacks on the paper, though. But that print I had set the driver to
"plain paper" and standard print which gave visible lines in the black
areas. That problem disappeared with the correct paper and "fine
photo" setting. But then I got this hazy print instead.

I'll try plain paper/fine photo settings on the photo paper if the
photo pro also gives the hazy output, it could be the best of both
worlds. (Good blacks and no lines)
--
-asbjxrn