Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How best to SHRINK large digital photos for email file sizes

How best to SHRINK large digital photos for email file sizes

Eunice Santorini

I do NOT know how best to 'shrink' photographs for sending in the mail.

My digital camera takes shots at 5 Megapixels, which in 'fine' mode,
typically produces photographs around 3,000 KB in size (which is two
orders of magnitude too large for proper emailing (i.e., < 100 KB).

Assuming the photo is NOT going to be printed, and assuming the photo
is simply to be elecrtonically viewed by family members (some of whom
are on 56K bit/sec modems) ...

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SHRINK these large photos for emailing?

Below is my best attempt at deciphering the algorithm and the Windows
tools to use (free is best as we are NOT professionals).

PLEASE critique this note below so that we all benefit from your knowledge.

Let me know where I am wrong. Please give suggestions as to how to improve
the algorithm proposed below. All I want is the best free and easy method
to shrink photos to, say 50 KB or so, keeping the best possible picture.

Thanks,
Eunice
Tentative conclusions (based on a two-hour test as shown below):
A. Using JP2 allowed the SIMPLEST reductions to size; but was incompatible.
Reducing RESOLUTION (DPI or Pixels per inch) had little affect.
Reducing JPG QUALITY (from 100% to, say, 50%) has the largest affect.

B. Quartering the size & halving the quality produced VERY SMALL SIZED JPGs:
This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
To: 480 x 640 pixels ( 36 KB)

C. Halving the size & quartering the quality produced VERY USABLE JPGs:
This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
To: 960 x 1280 pixels ( 68 KB)
1. One way to shrink photos for sending in email is to use JPEG 2000 format:

a) First download the free IrfanView v3.80 photo editor/viewer:
http://www.irfanview.com

b) Then, at the same site, download all the plugins, including the:
LuraTech Lurawave .jp2 JPEG 2000 Plug-in
(Register that plugin if you plan on resizing photos larger than 640x480.)

c) When you save as a JP2 file, you can compress to any desired size, e.g.,
10 x 1024 = 10240 bytes 20 x 1024 = 20480 bytes
30 x 1024 = 30720 bytes 40 x 1024 = 40960 bytes
50 x 1024 = 51200 bytes 60 x 1024 = 61440 bytes
70 x 1024 = 71680 bytes 80 x 1024 = 81920 bytes
90 x 1024 = 92160 bytes 100 x 1024 = 102400 bytes

Note: I've found 100x to be best; but 70x is acceptable for emailing.

These JP2 photos are VERY GOOD (even at this small size of 70 KB)!

However, the biggest problem with the JP2 format is folks might not have
a viewer (IrfanView views them just fine but Netscape 7.x does not) and
the plugin is not free (so we need a better free easy method than JP2).
2. Another way to shrink photos is to use IrfanView on JPG files alone:

a) First, resize the original JPG photo
Image->Resize/Resample->Current size = 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
Image->Resize/Resample->New size = 640 x 480 pixels (3,212 KB)

This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
to: 640 x 853 pixels ( 443 KB)
using an IrfanView default JPEG Save Quality of 100%.

Still, that's too large to email normally.

b) One way to further shrink this is to reduce the JPEG Save Quality
to, say, 50%.
This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
to: 640 x 853 pixels ( 58 KB)
using an IrfanView default JPEG Save Quality of 50%.
This gave acceptable results, it seemed.

c) Another way I could have shrunk this was to further reduce pixels:
Image->Resize/Resample->Current size = 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
Image->Resize/Resample->New size = 640 x 480 pixels (3,212 KB)
Then, to reduce further, press the "Half" button (as needed).

This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
to: 640 x 853 pixels ( 443 KB)
to (by pressing "Half"): 320 x 427 pixels ( 124 KB)
using an IrfanView default JPEG Save Quality of 100%.
But, overall, I didn't like the quality of these results.
3. Another way to shrink photos for emailing is to use LView RESIZE:

a) First download the shareware LView Pro (I used 2002 1st Quarter) from:
http://www.lview.com

Note: LView Pro provides the functions: Resize, Redimension, & Resolution.

b) Resize the picture in LView (which is more of an editor than IrfanView):
Image->Resize->33% of 1920 = 633.6 pixels width
33% of 2560 = 844.8 pixels height

This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
(at an Image Resolution of 300.000 pixels per inch)
to: 633.6 x 844.8 pixels ( 224 KB)
using an LView Pro default JPEG Compress Quality Factor of 95%
(resulting in an Image Resolution of 300.000 pixels per inch).

c) Again, when I lower the JPG quality factor, I get appreciable reduction:
Image->Resize->33% of 1920 = 633.6 pixels width
33% of 2560 = 844.8 pixels height

This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
(at an Image Resolution of 300.000 pixels per inch)
to: 633.6 x 844.8 pixels ( 59 KB)
using an LView Pro default JPEG Compress Quality Factor of 50%
(resulting in an Image Resolution of 300.000 pixels per inch).
4. Another way to shrink photos for emailing is to use LView RESOLUTION:

a) First download the shareware LView Pro (I used 2002 1st Quarter) from:
http://www.lview.com

Note: LView Pro provides the functions: Resize, Redimension, & Resolution.

b) Change resolution in LView (which is more of an editor than IrfanView):

Image->Resolution->From: 300 pixels per inch (dpi)
To: 72 pixels per inch (dpi)

This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
(at an Image Resolution of 300.000 pixels per inch)
to: 1920 x 2560 pixels (1,470 KB)
without any apparentt loss of clarity (the screen is 72dpi)
using an LView Pro default JPEG Compress Quality Factor of 50%

(resulting in an Image Resolution of 72 pixels per inch).

c) If I were to also resize the picture by half or so:
Image->Resolution->72 pixels per inch
Save as 100% JPEG Quality

This reduced the file from 1920 x 2560 pixels (3,212 KB)
(at an Image Resolution of 300.000 pixels per inch)
to: 634 x 845 pixels ( 224 KB)
without any apparent loss of clarity (the screen is 72dpi)
using an LView Pro default JPEG Compress Quality Factor of 95%
(resulting in an Image Resolution of 72 pixels per inch).

However, I get down to the smallest size again by reducing JPG Quality:
Image->Resolution->72 pixels per inch
Image->Resize->33% yields 634 x 845 pixels (59 KB)
Using an LView Pro default JPEG Compress Quality Factor of 50%
5. Let's take a look at some of the things we've learned so far:

Note: Simply lowering the resolution did not gain me anything
(59 KB vs 59 KB)
by running the same steps w/o reducing the DPI.

a) The major factor seems to be the QUALITY SETTING.

For example, if I merely save the ORIGINAL picture at 50% Quality:
I get a picture of the following statistics:
1920 x 2560 (347 KB) at 50%

b) The next major factor seems to be the SIZE:

For example, if I merely reduce the size by half twice (i.e., 1/4):
I get a picture of the following statistics:
480 x 640 (262 KB) at 95%

c) Yet, I can reduce the kbytes to well below a hundred doing both:
Yet, if I perform both size reduction by half twice (i.e., to 1/4):
And, if I save with a QUALITY SETTING of 50%:
I get a picture of the following statistics:
480 x 640 (36 KB) at 50%

Note: The quality of this photo was a bit poor; so strive for >60 KB.

Reduce by 1/2 to 960 x 1280 & save at 50% = 113 KB with good quality.
6. One other method to try is the Windows XP Send TO Mail Recipient:

a) Right click in Windows XP on any photo file & select:
Send To->Mail Recipient->(o)Make all my pictures smaller
(o)Medium (fits in a 800 by 600 window)
[OK]

b) For Netscape 7.x, this puts the file in c:\temp\moz_mapi\fname.jpg
with (decent) atributes of: 450 x 600 @ 300 DPI = 57 KB

c) Note: Settings of "(o)Small (fits in a 640 by 480 window)" resulted
in a (blurry) picture of 360 x 480 @ 300 DPI = 39 KB

Better to use the MEDIUM size.
Does anyone know why DPI settings did NOT change file sizes by much?
Does anyone have a BETTER FREE EASY method for shrinking photos for email?

FK

Get a program like ACDSee and you can specify
the size of the image for email. Everything else
is automatic.

FK

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

stan@temple.edu

In rec.photo.digital Eunice Santorini <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I do NOT know how best to 'shrink' photographs for sending in the mail.

> My digital camera takes shots at 5 Megapixels, which in 'fine' mode,
> typically produces photographs around 3,000 KB in size (which is two
> orders of magnitude too large for proper emailing (i.e., < 100 KB).

Why not just set your camera to a smaller resolution for photos
that you only intend to email or share on a web site?

HRosita

Hi,

If you use a Windows base PC use Irfanview free from
www.irfanview.com

Uses excellent compression and has easy to choose preset sizes.
Rosita

Posie

Eunice,
If your photos are being taken to email only change the resolution before
shooting them, check your manual or the manufactures web site for help.

If you might be printing them and want to keep the resolution high, use a
program like Photoshop or picture it to change the size of resolution. I
believe the software that came with your camera should have the ability to
change the size for emailing.

Good luck! To see my website pictures visit the link below.
Posie

--
www.photoartbyposie.com
Photographic art over the internet!

Frankhartx

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Eunice Santorini)

>I do NOT know how best to 'shrink' photographs for sending in the mail.

First get youself a decent editing program--Paint Shop Pro offers the most bang
for the buck and you can download a free trial from jasc.com
Using the editor make a copy and resize the copy to about 6x4 inches, That's
it, simple as pie. You might want to make a folder for all your copies so you
know where to find them when you want to email them or post on the web. How
simple can you get! You get to keep your originals in case you might want to
make prints and you have copies fro transmission. You can have your cake and
eat it too!

Tim Glover

This is a quick and easy method using Windows XP. (not sure if it works
with Win 9.x)

While viewing your picture files in Window Explorer, right click the picture
file name, select "send to" then "mail recipient" Another window will open
which asks if you want to reduce the size of the picture file suitable for
emailing.

> [...]

> 480 x 640 (36 KB) at 50%
>
> Note: The quality of this photo was a bit poor; so strive for >60 KB.
>
> Reduce by 1/2 to 960 x 1280 & save at 50% = 113 KB with good quality.

> 6. One other method to try is the Windows XP Send TO Mail Recipient:
>
> a) Right click in Windows XP on any photo file & select:
> Send To->Mail Recipient->(o)Make all my pictures smaller
> (o)Medium (fits in a 800 by 600 window)
> [OK]
>
> b) For Netscape 7.x, this puts the file in c:\temp\moz_mapi\fname.jpg
> with (decent) atributes of: 450 x 600 @ 300 DPI = 57 KB
>
> c) Note: Settings of "(o)Small (fits in a 640 by 480 window)" resulted
> in a (blurry) picture of 360 x 480 @ 300 DPI = 39 KB
>
> Better to use the MEDIUM size.

> Does anyone know why DPI settings did NOT change file sizes by much?
> Does anyone have a BETTER FREE EASY method for shrinking photos for email?

Randall Ainsworth

> I do NOT know how best to 'shrink' photographs for sending in the mail.

I use PhotoShop. Select Save to Web and reduce the longest dimension
to 640 (and let the other go wherever it wants to stay proportional).

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

[Note: F'up2 cut down --- should have been done by OP, but wasn't.]

In comp.graphics.algorithms Eunice Santorini <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I do NOT know how best to 'shrink' photographs for sending in the mail.

Neither does anybody else. There hardly ever is a single, universally
agreeable "best" way to do anything, and image compression is
definitely not an exception from that rule.

Reducing the resolution to something that actually fits on a computer
screen (i.e. less than about 1 MegaPixels) is a necessity anyway, so
there's nothing to be lost in doing that as a first step. The
trade-off between further resolution reduction and JPEG quality
reduction is not something that can be judged automatically --- it
depends on the content of the images, too.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker ((E-Mail Removed)-aachen.de)

Mike Graham

In article <bivdjm$jmi$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Why not just set your camera to a smaller resolution for photos
> that you only intend to email or share on a web site?

What if you get a great shot that you decide to print and frame? Hard
drive space is cheap. I've got about 300 gigabytes on this system. Lots of
room for photographs. The real bottleneck is the card in the camera.

(E-Mail Removed) |

<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>