Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW - Jpeg conversion

RAW - Jpeg conversion

Don Forsling

"Frank Ehrlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "FocusClick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cEl4b.10167$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I like to shoot in RAW quality unfortunately the photo labs in my area
> > will only process JPEG format. ...

> Find a better lab.

Oh, how helpful.

I'm sure the original poster never thought of that.

Perhaps you can suggest a shop that will handle whatever you walk in
with--Canon RAW, Nikon RAW, Minolta RAW, whatever--any kind of RAW, all
proprietary and all different and all requring different sofware to read..
It's not always easy to find a lab that will PROCESS in RAW (anybody's
RAW)--and by processing in RAW I mean I mean no conversion to TIFF or JPEG
or anything else along the way to the print. There are several factors
involved that result in the original poster's problem, and he deserves a
better answer that "Find a better lab."

Heck, I'd suggest that the poster do his gross manipulation (white balance,
whatever) in whatever flavor of RAW his camera produces, convert the files
to TIFF, do his more extensive and sophisticated manipulation in TIFF and
take 'em to the lab for printing. End of problem.

Don Forsling
"Iowa--Gateway to Those Big Rectangular States"

Mike Graham

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> JPEG files give 8 bits of color information for each channel (red,
> green, and blue), which is not enough precision for lots of
> manipulation, but is usually quite satisfactory for final output. Just
> do as much editing as possible in 16-bit mode, and convert to an 8-bit
> jpeg only at the last step, and choose the highest quality (lowest
> compression).

How many bits are supplied by your CCD?

I seriously doubt it's 16.

12, perhaps?

(E-Mail Removed) |

<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

Mark B.

"Frank Ehrlich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "FocusClick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:cEl4b.10167$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I like to shoot in RAW quality unfortunately the photo labs in my area
> > will only process JPEG format. ...

> Find a better lab.

First, I don't know why you replied to my post. I didn't ask the original
question. Second, that was lame advice anyway. Since raw formats are
proprietary, unlike jpg and tiff, no lab is going to work with raw files.

Mark

Frank Ehrlich

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> First, I don't know why you replied to my post. I didn't ask the original
> question. Second, that was lame advice anyway. Since raw formats are
> proprietary, unlike jpg and tiff, no lab is going to work with raw files.
>
> Mark

Sorry Mark,

I replied through the Google archives, and your post was the only one
in the thread that had a working link for replying. I quoted the
message to which I was responding as a reference.

My reply was not intended to suggest the lab should work with raw
files, but as a commentary to the shortcomings of labs that will
*only* take JPEG files:
> "...the photo labs in my area will only process JPEG format."

If a lab can't handle TIFF, PSD or PDF files, it's a little behind
the times or, in your terminology, lame.

Frank