Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: lens for D100

Re: lens for D100

WMAS 1960

I can't say too much on how to select a lens other than what I did when I
bought my D100. I ran into the same predicament that you are having. For
every positive post about a given lens there were negative posts as well and
vice versa. It got to be very confusing.

I went from a Coolpix 990 to the D100 and can say that I don't think you will
be dissappointed. You will definately get better pictures once you get
familiar with the camera. I never want to put down the 990 and 995 because in
my opinion they are great cameras and I, for one, am still getting great
pictures with my 990. I use it for certain things where it is easier to just
get it out and snap off a few shots or for where the D100 and all it's gear is
not practical. However the flexibility for using good quality glass, a better
flash, shooting nature with a good telephoto or airliners or sports which are
all subjects that the 990 and 995 might have difficulty with. There was a
learning curve with all the features and color balancing and exposure settings
etc. Be patient and work with it and you will find it better than the 995
regardless of the glass.

The way I decided on my lenses was based on an assessment of my budget and
needs. There were a few lenses that I would have liked to have but I figured
that with the body and flash I would only be able to spend so much. My choice
came down to 2 lenses that fill out most of the range that I would use and
overlapped only minimally. Thus avoiding a gap in the middle and not wasting
too much territory on redundency. I chose the 24-85mm AF-S G lens for it's
light weight and quiet focusing. It is almost instantaneous in focusing and is
totally silent. Thus from the "Silent Wave" technology. That is my primary
lens that I use about 90% of the time. It's only fault that I have noticed is
that it might not be wide enough for me at times. However those times are rare
and that is an area that I can invest in later when I have more to spend. I
also enjoy, as I said earlier, taking pictures of Airliners, Wildlife and some
Sports. Thus I needed something fast and powerful. I decided on the 80-200mm
2.8 AF D lens that is quite a bit heavier than the other lens. Made of a
heavier metal than the G lens which is supposed to be a metal alloy but feels
in weight like it is plastic. The D lens also has an aperature ring which the
D100 does not require and the G lenses don't have. That is not a worrry though
as the camera fully operates with both types of lenses. The 80-200 D lens was
a little cheaper than another lens of the same power and fit better into my
budget. It is all well balanced with the D100 and not that difficult to hand
hold when lighting and all is good. I have shot Airliners from 3 or 4 miles
out and about 4000' with it and have shot hockey as well as soccer. It works
well in fairly well lit municipal rinks but might be a little too powerful when
shooting from the boards or penalty boxes. From the stands might be better.
The 24-85 G at 3.5/4.5 actually worked well with the hockey also and allowed
wider shots that were more managable and easy to follow but the 3.5 max
aperature was just too slow for the conditions. I still got some great shots
but they required some manipulation in Photoshop. I might have been able to
use a higher ISO also but don't recall how high I went that evening. It was my
first sports attempt with the D100.

SO, I would simply suggest your needs. What types of photos do you take and
what your budget is. If you are like me, you should not be too dissappointed
with whatever you select as long as it is functional and useful for your needs.
I did, I would add, for my innitial purchase stick with Nikkor glass. I
suppose I could have saved some by going with other brands but for my innitial
purchase I fealt like I might be getting better quality staying with Nikon
equipment. Incidentally the Flash I bought was the SB-80DX

Hope this helps you some.

Terry

WMAS

I see that you were in a similar situation to mine. Thanks for the comments.
What would be a good set of settings to start the D100 off with?

What do you see as a few of the improvements you see to using your D100 over
your 990(since I have the 995)?

Terry

news:(E-Mail Removed)...