Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What Software is best for Printing?

What Software is best for Printing?

Bob D.

Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?

Here's what I usually use:

Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.

Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".

Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".

Paste the picture into a blank Word document.

Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
Word document.

Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.

Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?
--
Bob D.

Paul Heslop

"Bob D." wrote:

> Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?
>
> Here's what I usually use:
>
> Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.
>
> Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>
> Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>
> Paste the picture into a blank Word document.
>
> Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
> Word document.
>
> Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.
>
> Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?
> --
> Bob D.

Some progs are just better at printing, full stop, or they give you more
control etc.
Personally I use all sorts of progs to mess with the images (I don't use
camedia for ANYTHING) but for printing I always use Corel print House as
it is easy to move the images round and resize, add text or whatever but
I rarely have problems with it, unlike some other programmes.
--
Paul. (Man sleeps by a campfire under the bridge)
Not what it seems...

HRosita

Hi,

I have not used it myself but I understand that the best printing software is
Qimage.

By the way, are you using photo paper to print your Word document?
Rosita

Mark B.

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?
>
> Here's what I usually use:
>
> Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.
>
> Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>
> Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>
> Paste the picture into a blank Word document.
>
> Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
> Word document.
>
> Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.
>
> Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?
> --
> Bob D.

Seems like an awful lot of steps you're doing to print an image. The only
software I'll use for printing images is Qimage Pro:
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/.

Mark

DonB

I also use Qimage, and tests by me show it gives superior results.
DonB
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:16:36 -0400, "Mark B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?
>>
>> Here's what I usually use:
>>
>> Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.
>>
>> Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>>
>> Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>>
>> Paste the picture into a blank Word document.
>>
>> Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
>> Word document.
>>
>> Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.
>>
>> Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?
>> --
>> Bob D.
>>

>Seems like an awful lot of steps you're doing to print an image. The only
>software I'll use for printing images is Qimage Pro:
>http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/.
>
>Mark

Kenny

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?

Yes, and the best is Q Image.

Kenny

Hans-Georg Michna

"Bob D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?

Bob,

yes. The main point is the upscaling. Since the printed picture
usually has a higher resolution than the original photo,
something somewhere has to scale the picture up and, simply
spoken, add the missing pixels. And that's where good software
can do much better than simple software.

Some printer drivers do a better job at this than others, but
specialized software can be even better.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 21:05:53 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Bob D."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does the software one uses for printing make any difference?
>
>Here's what I usually use:
>
> Open the jpeg in "Olympus Camedia Master" which came with the camera.
>
> Crop and make adjustments in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>
> Copy the result in "Olympus Camedia Master".
>
> Paste the picture into a blank Word document.
>
> Size, move and title the picture/pictures the way I want them in the
>Word document.
>
> Print the Word document on my Photosmart P1000 printer.
>
>Am I losing anything by using copy/paste or Word?

For printing of the photos themselves, I'm in the group with everyone
recommending Qimage. If you really need to add general titles to each image
though, Qimage can not do this. It can add any of the filename and/or exif
info , but does not have an option for adding say a general text string.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Don Stauffer

The example you gave included editing AND printing. Most of the
options for just pure printing are in the printer driver, that any
competent software will call when sending an image to a 'printer'.

However, you mentioned several editing functions. There certainly is a
difference here between software packages. In my opinion, Camedia is a
rather primitive editing package.

To complicate things further, there ARE editing packages that DO offer
you printing options not found in the standard printer driver. Some
offer choice of doing dither, for instance, with the printer driver
algorithms are with the editor's algorithms.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

JunkMonkey

WHY are you using MS Word to Print Photos? Just about ANYTHING is better
than that! I have just purchased ACDSee's FotoSlate, (about $30 USD) it
offers you not only unlimited flexibility to print the way you want, but
color management as well.