Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pictures of our green lasers

Pictures of our green lasers

Christoph Bollig

Hi everyone,

Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
lasers on the web.

Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.

I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
digital camera in this rather specific field.

Here the link (I almost forgot it):

http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/

Enjoy.

Christoph

Christoph Bollig wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
> pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
> long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
> lasers on the web.
>
> Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
> therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
> pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.
>
> I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
> photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
> digital camera in this rather specific field.
>
> Here the link (I almost forgot it):
>
> http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Christoph

Nice. Have you tried the
old 'blowing smoke over the beam' trick?
A nice effect when you can't see the beam
at all.

Christoph Bollig

> > Here the link (I almost forgot it):
> >
> > http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
> >
> > Enjoy.
> >
> > Christoph
> >

> Nice.

Thanks.

> Have you tried the
> old 'blowing smoke over the beam' trick?
> A nice effect when you can't see the beam
> at all.

I can assure you that you can see those beams without smoke
(especially the high-power ones).

I think I would be close to throwing anyone out of that window, who
tries to smoke next to the laser. Smoking is only on option when you
have a well-sealed laser.

Christoph

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
> pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
> long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
> lasers on the web.
>
> Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
> therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
> pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.
>
> I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
> photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
> digital camera in this rather specific field.
>
> Here the link (I almost forgot it):
>
> http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Christoph

Very cool shots. Thanks for sharing.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

DHB

Christoph,

Interesting pictures! Have to wonder however if the indoor pictures in
the auditorium were intended to be a blue laser or is the auto white balance
incorrect. I have a Canon A70 which I often use to take long existing light
exposures both indoors & out but doing so has taught me that it's usually
better to manually set the "white balance". "Tungsten" seems to work best
in most low lighting situations, surprisingly to me even with many types of
compact florescent lights.

Just had to throw in my 2 cents worth, hope it's helpful.

DHB

"Christoph Bollig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
> pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
> long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
> lasers on the web.
>
> Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
> therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
> pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.
>
> I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
> photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
> digital camera in this rather specific field.
>
> Here the link (I almost forgot it):
>
> http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Christoph

Laserlover

Christoph Bollig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since we had this discussion on alt.lasers about how to best take
> pictures with a digital camera and whether it is acceptable to use
> long exposures or not, I decided to put a few of the pictures of our
> lasers on the web.
>
> Please keep in mind that these were taken during the development and
> therefore the powers are not what they can be. I will post a few more
> pictures and a bit more technical details when we have more results.
>
> I am cross-posting this to rec.photo.digital since some people on the
> photography side might be interested to see what you can do with a
> digital camera in this rather specific field.
>
> Here the link (I almost forgot it):
>
> http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig/alt.lasers/pics1/
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Christoph

Hi Christoph,

I specially like the color of the 526.5 nm green compared to 532 nm
it's more of an emerald green similar to what you get when you pass
the output of a Copper Vapour laser through a grating (get gold yellow
and emerald green).
Was the 526.5 nm Laser achieved using the LBO crystal I shipped you
3x3x20.5 mm Castech Theta=90 Phi= 11.4 degrees(unpolished one before
recoating) ?

Rick

Christoph Bollig

Hi Rick,

I'm glad to like the pictures.

> I specially like the color of the 526.5 nm green compared to 532 nm
> it's more of an emerald green similar to what you get when you pass
> the output of a Copper Vapour laser through a grating (get gold yellow
> and emerald green).

I am afraid to disappoint you, but it is probably more the saturation
of the camera than anything else. The Nd:YLF laser (526.5nm, or shall
we say 527 for simplicity) was much stronger than the 532 from the
Millennia and the Millennia beam was moving a bit.

You can see the same effect in the first three photos. In areas where
the photo is saturated, it becomes a different colour up to the point
where it is almost white. And in all these photos, it was at 532 nm.

> Was the 526.5 nm Laser achieved using the LBO crystal I shipped you
> 3x3x20.5 mm Castech Theta=90 Phi= 11.4 degrees(unpolished one before
> recoating) ?

No, it was with LBO but not with yours. One of yours is at the coater
at the moment.

But we used your LBO with damaged coatings to double a pulsed Nd:YLF
to 527 some time ago. Despite the bad coatings, we got more than 5W
average green output when pulsed at 15 kHz.

Here are two more photos, this time with of your LBO in action (taken
with a Sony Cybershot, the first at 1/125s and the second at 1/30s):

http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig...01039-crop.jpg

The infrared (1053 nm, ~20 W average at 15 kHz) comes from the front
left, very roughly from where the pipes end. It is focussed into the
LBO with a curved mirror. It is then converted to green in the LBO
crystal, which can be seen to the left of the pipes gowing brightly.
Next comes a mirror, which reflects the IR and transmits ~95% of the
green. The remaining 5%, which are reflected are blocked with a black
heat sink. This is the bright spot, which can be seen between the
pipes. The main part of the green goes through the big lens and is
then reflected on the metal mirror behind the lens.

There was lots of scattering from the bad coatings of the LBO and from
the metal mirror. It illuminated the whole lab in green:

http://www.physics.sun.ac.za/~bollig...1/DSC01037.JPG

Christoph

Laserlover

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the test PICs of my LBO. Lots of scatter from damaged
coatings but surprised how much power you got from a quick setup
(before tuning).
I'd like to see how my LBO performs after you get it back from
recoating.
Was the IR laser focussed within the center of the LBO crystal or on
the front surface ? What size spot ?

Tks
Rick