Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Digital PhotoPro Magazine just out

Re: Digital PhotoPro Magazine just out

Gary Eickmeier

"Bill Janes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...

> While browsing through the photo magazine section at Barnes & Noble
> today I came across a new magazine: Digital PhotoPro, published by the
> Werner group.
>
> It is aimed at the more advanced user and is printed on good quality
> stock with good reproduction of photographs. It had a review of SLR
> digital cameras that was nice but added nothing to those found in
> dpreview.com.
>
> They also had an article on how Sports Illustrated magazine has gone
> from film to all digital and an article by a well known photographer who
> switched to digital. All in all, it is the best American digital photo
> magazine that I have seen and I ordered a subscription on line. Like
> most American photo magazines the reviewer has nothing unkind to say
> about any advertisers product, but they do point out the favorable
> features of a product.
>
> http://www.digitalphotopro.com/
>
> Other comments are welcome.

It's an OK slick, but seems geared to advertising and sales more than
serious articles on pro techniques. Haven't finished it yet. Anything is
better than the amateur mags.

Gary Eickmeier

Ron Cole

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:39:50 -0500, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in message <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 01:39:27 GMT, "Gary Eickmeier"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> "Bill Janes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>>
>>> While browsing through the photo magazine section at Barnes & Noble
>>> today I came across a new magazine: Digital PhotoPro, published by the
>>> Werner group.
>>>
>>> It is aimed at the more advanced user and is printed on good quality
>>> stock with good reproduction of photographs. It had a review of SLR
>>> digital cameras that was nice but added nothing to those found in
>>> dpreview.com.
>>>
>>> They also had an article on how Sports Illustrated magazine has gone
>>> from film to all digital and an article by a well known photographer who
>>> switched to digital. All in all, it is the best American digital photo
>>> magazine that I have seen and I ordered a subscription on line. Like
>>> most American photo magazines the reviewer has nothing unkind to say
>>> about any advertisers product, but they do point out the favorable
>>> features of a product.
>>>
>>> http://www.digitalphotopro.com/
>>>
>>> Other comments are welcome.

>> It's an OK slick, but seems geared to advertising and sales more than
>> serious articles on pro techniques. Haven't finished it yet. Anything is
>> better than the amateur mags.
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier
>>

> The UK mag Digital Photographer is probably the best UK mag. Aimed at
> advanced hobbyists, semi-pro and pros, there are none of the
> repetitive articles and how-to workshops aimed at first time users.
> And no whining letters complaining that they only do Photoshop stuff
> and why don't they show me how to use the Acme Photofixit program that
> came free with my 30 scanner. It really is a good mag and I've
> stopped looking at all the others now. The website is at
> http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/digitalphotographer.html but
> unfortunately there's no significant or useful information here to
> persuade anybody to cough up for any subscription, let alone an
> international one.
>
> MJ

Is this rag another buywers guide or doe it have some real information. Most
digital books these days are just a camera and equipment guide with no real
how to or other usefull or interesting information.

Ron

Gary Eickmeier

Ron Cole wrote:

> Is this rag another buywers guide or doe it have some real information. Most
> digital books these days are just a camera and equipment guide with no real
> how to or other usefull or interesting information.

I don't know about the British mag in question, but now that you have
brought it up, what info would you want to see in a digital photography
mag? We're all at different stages of knowledge, of course, but is there
anything in particular that you feel foggy on?

For me, I would say exposure control was the biggest surprise in digital
photography. We all trust our automatic exposure meters, and they were
pretty good in the film days, but now with digital we get these
occasional over and underexposed shots that we can't explain. I have
personally compared a hand-held exposure meter with my camera's meter,
and got wildly different results. Exposure has suddenly become an art,
rather than something we can take for granted.

White balance would be another potential article or two. And flash
photography.

Gary Eickmeier

Rafe B.

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:23:38 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For me, I would say exposure control was the biggest surprise in digital
>photography. We all trust our automatic exposure meters, and they were
>pretty good in the film days, but now with digital we get these
>occasional over and underexposed shots that we can't explain. I have
>personally compared a hand-held exposure meter with my camera's meter,
>and got wildly different results. Exposure has suddenly become an art,
>rather than something we can take for granted.

Was exposure control ever easy?

Hey, it's why I shoot print film.

With my 10D, it's gotten a bit more challenging.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

MJ@MJ.com

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:03:15 GMT, Ron Cole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The UK mag Digital Photographer is probably the best UK mag. Aimed at
>> advanced hobbyists, semi-pro and pros, there are none of the
>> repetitive articles and how-to workshops aimed at first time users.
>> And no whining letters complaining that they only do Photoshop stuff
>> and why don't they show me how to use the Acme Photofixit program that
>> came free with my 30 scanner. It really is a good mag and I've
>> stopped looking at all the others now. The website is at
>> http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/digitalphotographer.html but
>> unfortunately there's no significant or useful information here to
>> persuade anybody to cough up for any subscription, let alone an
>> international one.
>>
>> MJ

>Is this rag another buywers guide or doe it have some real information. Most
>digital books these days are just a camera and equipment guide with no real
>how to or other usefull or interesting information.
>

>Ron

It has in-depth Photoshop tutorials, plus guides on different types of
photography - landscape, studio, portrait, architecture etc. There are
articles on professional photographers, what equipment they use, how
they do it. There have been articles on how to break out of the
amateur status and turn pro. The very expensive gear gets reviewed, as
well as more modest stuff, but no cheap crap. It's only up to around
issue 11 now. I've bought digital camera mags for 4 or 5 years now,
but this is the only one I am going to take out a sub for to make sure
I don't miss any.

MJ