Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Non-copyrighted .wav files?

Non-copyrighted .wav files?

Dr. Bob

I am working up "slide shows" with Fotoangelo, and would like to include
sound files in .wav format. What I want is "classical" music, on which any
copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired. Can someone direct me
to a Web site? Thanks! reply via email.

Martin Francis

"Dr. Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am working up "slide shows" with Fotoangelo, and would like to include
> sound files in .wav format.

..mp3 files can be purchased for minimal amounts of money online. .mid
synthesised facsimiles of classical music are readily available and can
sometimes sound quite reasonable (depending on how lofty your expectations
are). I don't think you'll find "uncopyrighted" music, as the copyright is
on the recording of the music rather than the sheet music itself. However,
if your slide shows are limited in number, duration and repetition i'm sure
you could legally play a CD or track ripped from a CD into .wav with the
show (bear in mind 44khz .wavs are about 10mb a minute and .mp3s are about
1mb a minute). For CD-ripping, check out a download site like www.tucows.com
or www.zdnet.com for example. Audiograbber is a good utility.

--
Martin
Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot

PTRAVEL

"Dr. Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am working up "slide shows" with Fotoangelo, and would like to include
> sound files in .wav format. What I want is "classical" music, on which any
> copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired. Can someone direct me
> to a Web site? Thanks! reply via email.

There's no such thing. Even if the copyright on the underlying work has
expired, the recording itself is still protected by copyright and, almost
certainly, is unexpired.

Lisa Horton

PTRAVEL wrote:

> "Dr. Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am working up "slide shows" with Fotoangelo, and would like to include
> > sound files in .wav format. What I want is "classical" music, on which any
> > copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired. Can someone direct me
> > to a Web site? Thanks! reply via email.

> There's no such thing. Even if the copyright on the underlying work has
> expired, the recording itself is still protected by copyright and, almost
> certainly, is unexpired.

Might MIDI files be okay to use? Might they be more akin to a score
than a performance?

Lisa

PTRAVEL

"charlie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f4d5aee_4@newsfeed...
> There is lots of classical wave music available on most commercial chess
> programs which use the music as background for the game. Check those out

if
> you know anyone with a chess program.
> Charlie

Using that music would infringe the copyright of the _recording_. It's no
different than if the OP ripped wav files from a commercial CD.

> "Dr. Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am working up "slide shows" with Fotoangelo, and would like to include
> > sound files in .wav format. What I want is "classical" music, on which

any
> > copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired. Can someone direct

me
> > to a Web site? Thanks! reply via email.

Karen Weissman

> > I am working up "slide shows" with Fotoangelo, and would like to include
> > sound files in .wav format. What I want is "classical" music, on which any
> > copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired. Can someone direct me
> > to a Web site? Thanks! reply via email.

> There's no such thing. Even if the copyright on the underlying work has
> expired, the recording itself is still protected by copyright and, almost
> certainly, is unexpired.

Very true, but the whole idea of worrying about copyright for a slide show is
ridiculous. True, the rights owners of the song happy birthday did sue the
girl scouts for singing the song at a campfire, but that is a really really rare
thing to happen, and so many people will get outraged by the suit that it will
eventually get dropped.

Just use whatever music you want to. (This isn't going to be on network
television, or sold as a product in stores, is it?) The chance of someone at
your little slideshow reporting you to the orchestra that recorded the music,
and them taking the time to find and sue you for using them in a slide show for
your club or friends or whatever, is much slimmer than you winning the lottery
or getting hit by lightning.

WORST CASE, you can expect a letter from their attorney telling you to "cease
and desist" from using it. So then you stop, and that is as far as it gets.

Mxsmanic

Dr. Bob writes:

> What I want is "classical" music, on which any
> copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired.

The only way to have this is if you perform and record the music
yourself. Otherwise the _performance_ is copyrighted, even if the music
itself is not, so you still need permission.

Note that, in some jurisdictions, merely capturing sound is not creation
of a copyrighted work, so recording, say, the sound of traffic does not
produce a recording protected by copyright. That won't help you here,
though.

PTRAVEL

"Mxsmanic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dr. Bob writes:
>
> > What I want is "classical" music, on which any
> > copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired.

> The only way to have this is if you perform and record the music
> yourself. Otherwise the _performance_ is copyrighted, even if the music
> itself is not, so you still need permission.
>
> Note that, in some jurisdictions, merely capturing sound is not creation
> of a copyrighted work, so recording, say, the sound of traffic does not
> produce a recording protected by copyright.

It does in the United States.

> That won't help you here,
> though.

> --
> Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

Don Stauffer

Unfortunately, the performance of a musical piece is also copyright by
the performing artists. The only way you can get a truly copyright-free
piece of classical music is to have your own friends and acquaintances
perform it from public domain sheet music. Or, type it into a
music-generating piece of software, such as a midi-editor, using
multiple tracks and instruments. The performers are doing the same
thing as a photographer photographing nature.

"Dr. Bob" wrote:

> I am working up "slide shows" with Fotoangelo, and would like to include
> sound files in .wav format. What I want is "classical" music, on which any
> copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired. Can someone direct me
> to a Web site? Thanks! reply via email.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

J. Byron

"PTRAVEL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<binm1i$b55e6$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> "Mxsmanic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dr. Bob writes:
> >
> > > What I want is "classical" music, on which any
> > > copyrights, if they ever existed, have long expired.

> > The only way to have this is if you perform and record the music
> > yourself. Otherwise the _performance_ is copyrighted, even if the music
> > itself is not, so you still need permission.
> >
> > Note that, in some jurisdictions, merely capturing sound is not creation
> > of a copyrighted work, so recording, say, the sound of traffic does not
> > produce a recording protected by copyright.

> It does in the United States.

Just holding up a mic and recording a natural ambient source verbatim
probably does not. (Simply using the on button is not even minimal
creativity.) Mixing several sources together, refining or coloring the
source, or adding other original authorship would.