Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sending lots of jpgs to friends

Sending lots of jpgs to friends

Louise

I recently purchased the Canon S400 and have returned from
vacation with many many pictures.

I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
they don't have to open each one?

TIA

Louise

Willy Boehnke

"Louise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I recently purchased the Canon S400 and have returned from
> vacation with many many pictures.
>
> I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
> irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
> would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
> to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
> they don't have to open each one?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

I Win XP if you open Explorer and just double click the first picture it
opens "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" (assuming Windows is not configured
to open jpg files with some other application), with a view of that picture.
Then either hit <F11> or click on the button at the bottom that starts the
slide show for every picture in that folder.

--
Willy

Tomash Bednarz

> I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
> irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
> would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
> to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
> they don't have to open each one?

u can generate for example html - just small navigation for all your photos
using for example ACDSee 5.0,
then u can simply made ur cd to be autostarded adding autostart.inf
they just put cd to cdrom, and everything will be automatic

A bit more than

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:43:52 -0400, Louise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently purchased the Canon S400 and have returned from
> vacation with many many pictures.
>
> I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
> irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
> would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
> to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
> they don't have to open each one?

With Windoze XP, ask them to open the folder and select Thumbnails under the
View menu.

The other way would be for all of them to use a third party program like Thumbs
Plus.

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 00:43:52 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Louise
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I recently purchased the Canon S400 and have returned from
>vacation with many many pictures.
>
>I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
>irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
>would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
>to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
>they don't have to open each one?

Either make your own galleries of thumbnails linked to larger copies of
images or make a slide show on the CD itself using Irfanview (free but for
PCs only) loaded on the CD. Totally self contained this way.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Ron Hunter

Louise wrote:

> I recently purchased the Canon S400 and have returned from
> vacation with many many pictures.
>
> I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
> irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
> would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
> to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
> they don't have to open each one?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

If they have WinXP and it is set up for defaults, the it will take care
of giving them a slideshow mode when the CD is put in the drive. If
not, they probably already have a program like Irfanview that does a
good job of showing pictures from a CD.

csm

"Louise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I recently purchased the Canon S400 and have returned from
> vacation with many many pictures.
>
> I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
> irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
> would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
> to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
> they don't have to open each one?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

You can use a free program on the CD to do a slideshow or to just view the
pictures.
http://www.irfanview.com/

For PC only. No Mac.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Paul H.

"Louise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I recently purchased the Canon S400 and have returned from
> vacation with many many pictures.
>
> I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
> irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
> would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
> to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
> they don't have to open each one?

You can include a local copy of Irfanview ( www.irfanview.com ) on the CD
along with the photos and a READ.ME file explaining how to activate
Irfanview's slideshow feature. Or, you can use Irfanview to automatically
create an HTML file of the photos and send your pictures as a
thumbnail-accessible web page.

Mike in IL

Louise,

If you are using EZ CD creator to burn your Photo CD, it has an option
to create a slide show. It's all explained in the help menu. Your
recipients just pop the CD in the drive and a slide show will
auto-start.

Abrasha

Tomash Bednarz wrote:

> > I want to send a CD to a few friends, but don't want to
> > irritate them too much. Most are running Win XP - what
> > would be the best instructions I could give them as to how
> > to view the pictures in some kind of slide mode so that
> > they don't have to open each one?

> u can generate for example html - just small navigation for all your photos
> using for example ACDSee 5.0,
> then u can simply made ur cd to be autostarded adding autostart.inf
> they just put cd to cdrom, and everything will be automatic

Will ACDSee allow you to make the CD autorun from within that program? Or do
you have to do it manually and/or with other software?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com