Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Buying online in US, shipping in Europe

Buying online in US, shipping in Europe

lol

hi,
does anybody knows where to buy a camera with an international (Europe) shipping
option? What about the warranty (it's for a Canon camera)? Do I have to
send the camera back in US if something goes wrong?

thx a lot

Sunnyfield

> hi,
> does anybody knows where to buy a camera with an international (Europe)

shipping
> option? What about the warranty (it's for a Canon camera)? Do I have to
> send the camera back in US if something goes wrong?
>
> thx a lot

Be careful if you get it posted to Europe. On new goods you have to pay VAT,
custom duties, import duties and possibly other fees. It even is your duty
to do so, if it goes unnoticed through the post. The total cost may exceed
the price of buying in Europe. If you want a really cheap deal on digital
cameras, buy in Hong Kong.

Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
international warranty. You can choose to deal directly with Canon for your
warranty, as long as you have an official (US) receipt. No receipt, no
warranty.

Good luck
Eward

Alan Brennan

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:22:45 +0100
Sunnyfield ( http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) )
Wrote

> Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
> international warranty.

Canon's warranty is country specific on consumer products and doesn't
apply to countries other than the one in which the camera was bought.
This is to stop parallel importing.

> You can choose to deal directly with Canon for your
> warranty, as long as you have an official (US) receipt. No receipt, no
> warranty.
>
> Good luck
> Eward

Sunnyfield

*snip*
> > Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
> > international warranty.

> Canon's warranty is country specific on consumer products and doesn't
> apply to countries other than the one in which the camera was bought.
> This is to stop parallel importing.

You will have to check with Canon Europe in that case. A week ago, an Aussie
said they do have international warranty:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?U389126B5

In my experience companies are quite good at dealing with warranties
internationally, but you take a risk, I guess.

Eward

Mike Brodbelt

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:22:05 +0100, Sunnyfield wrote:

> *snip*
>> > Typically there is an international warranty. I believe Canon has an
>> > international warranty.

>> Canon's warranty is country specific on consumer products and doesn't
>> apply to countries other than the one in which the camera was bought.
>> This is to stop parallel importing.

> You will have to check with Canon Europe in that case. A week ago, an
> Aussie said they do have international warranty:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?U389126B5

And in fact Canon USA specifically state they have a 1 year international
warranty on EOS cameras:-

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/support/slrfaq.html

Of course this may not be the same if you're buying a compact camera -
you'd have to check separately.

Mike.

Casper Budtz

Hi,

I just did a lot of research on that subject myself, wanting to buy a
Canon Powershot G3. If you check on www.bizrate.com or
www.pricescan.com for instance you will find that most places will
ship to Europe. Beware of some of the cheapest options (like Digital
Liquidators or Camera Royal etc... its gray are and many of them are
actually one and the same company - would stay away).

Shipping to Europe is usually more that $100. On top of that add that
your Canon will not by covered by warranty plus that you'll probably
get a VAT bill. My understanding now is that Canon warranties are
specific to either USA/Canada(/Mexico) or International (ie, rest of
world). I've read stories here and there of people whov'es
successfully had their cameras fixed in Europe on a USA warranty but I
think thats a question of luck.

I can see from your email that you are located in France. You might
save a bit by ordering in Germany - check some of the links here:
http://de.search.yahoo.com/search/de...svergleich&y=y (German
price comparison pages).

I ended up buying my cam in the states nonetheless, but only because
someone is bringing it over for me - and that the saving was big
enough for me to be willing to take the risk with the warranty. If I
hadn't had that option I would have bought it in Germany or UK.

Hope this helps,

Casper