Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Coping with bright sunlight on the viewing screen

Coping with bright sunlight on the viewing screen

Phil

I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.

When it came to close-ups I just had to guess as only the LCD works
for that mode.

How do you guys cope? Any tips? Any comments on cameras with shields?

As I am contemplating the purchase of a digicam, all comments would be
gratefully received.

Phil

Randall Ainsworth

> I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
> number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
> virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.

OH NO!! You used the viewfinder?

That's what it's there for.

Andrew McDonald

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>>I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
>>number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
>>virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.

> OH NO!! You used the viewfinder?
>
> That's what it's there for.

The viewfinder on most P&S type cameras sucks. On my Coolpix 990 it was
barely usable, I could never see anything in focus. It was usable in
situations where the viewfinder could not be seen, but only because I
had no choice.

William M. Miller

"Phil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
> number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
> virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.
>
> When it came to close-ups I just had to guess as only the LCD works
> for that mode.
>
> How do you guys cope? Any tips? Any comments on cameras with shields?
>
> As I am contemplating the purchase of a digicam, all comments would be
> gratefully received.

My Pentax Optio S has a bright enough LCD that I can see it
reasonably well just by cupping my hand over it. If you think
you will probably prefer to use the LCD instead of the
viewfinder, you should check out any camera you're interested
in on a sunny day at a store where you can carry it outside
and check its bright-light performance. (As you've noticed in
this thread, some people prefer the viewfinder to the LCD.)

-- William M. Miller

Mike Graham

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Phil wrote:

> I borrowed my son's Fuji 3 megapixel camera (cannot remember the model
> number) at the weekend and, due to very bright sunlight, I had to take
> virtually all my photos using the optical viewfinder.

Some cameras have flip-out screens that you can point in various
directions. That is just dead snazzy for macros and whatnot. It's also
nice for pointing the screen down a bit so it doesn't get hit by the sun.
Otherwise you just have to cup your hand around it. Some cameras can adjust
the brightness of the screen, which can help, but a brighter screen uses up
the batteries faster.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) |

<http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

Phil

On 25 Aug 2003 12:48:41 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)et (HRosita) wrote:

>Check out this url:
>
>http://www.screen-shade.com/

also
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/

Phil

Phil

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 06:58:03 -0700, Randall Ainsworth
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OH NO!! You used the viewfinder?
>
>That's what it's there for.

LOL, yes, I know. And, as I have poor eyesight I would normally use
the viewfinder. But for close-ups it's useless due to paralax error.

Phil

Phil

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:36:59 GMT, "Patrick L."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since I prefer using the optical viewfinder, anyway, this is a moot issue
>with me.

Patrick, how do you read the menu on the LCD screen?

Phil

Phil

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:20:07 -0400, "William M. Miller"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Pentax Optio S has a bright enough LCD that I can see it
>reasonably well just by cupping my hand over it.
>[clipped]

Thanks, Wm.

Phil

Phil

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:02:12 -0400, Mike Graham
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Some cameras have flip-out screens that you can point in various
>directions.
>[clipped]

Thanks, Mike. I must look out for those.

Phil