Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus D-510

Olympus D-510

Norm

Has anyone with a D-510 tried using a 128mb smartmedia card. Good deal on
them at Best Buy in the Sunday ad, $29.99 after rebate.

Michael Meissner

"Norm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Has anyone with a D-510 tried using a 128mb smartmedia card. Good deal on
> them at Best Buy in the Sunday ad, $29.99 after rebate.

Yes, 128 megabyte SM cards work fine in the D510Z.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner

"Norm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Has anyone with a D-510 tried using a 128mb smartmedia card. Good deal on
> them at Best Buy in the Sunday ad, $29.99 after rebate.

Newegg.com sells 128 megabyte cards for $23.00 with $5.00 shipping and
handling, and you don't have to pay extra and hope someday your rebate check
will come in. It looks like it isn't in stock at the moment however.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alue=4353,2971

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Norm

Michael, thanks for the info. My manual that came with the camera showed
64mb as the largest card but since posting I check the Olympus website and
the online manual shows the 128, go figure. I like buying from Newegg, will
see what they got.

"Michael Meissner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org...
> "Norm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > Has anyone with a D-510 tried using a 128mb smartmedia card. Good deal

on
> > them at Best Buy in the Sunday ad, $29.99 after rebate.

> Newegg.com sells 128 megabyte cards for $23.00 with $5.00 shipping and
> handling, and you don't have to pay extra and hope someday your rebate

check
> will come in. It looks like it isn't in stock at the moment however.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...alue=4353,2971

> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner

"Norm" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Michael, thanks for the info. My manual that came with the camera showed
> 64mb as the largest card but since posting I check the Olympus website and
> the online manual shows the 128, go figure. I like buying from Newegg, will
> see what they got.

When the D-510Z was released, the 64 megabyte cards were the highest capacity
cards that were available at the time. Olympus didn't go back and update the
manual when the 128 megabyte cards came out.

I will note that the one card I bought from newegg (PNY 128 megabyte) is the
one that constantly gives me problems on the C-2100UZ (which I use nowadays).
The card itself works, but gets into a state where it takes 10+ seconds for the
camera to write to it (which is a drag when I use continous or bracket modes).
If I reformat the card, the writes are much faster, but every so often it gets
back into that state. However since there are (or were) only 2 factories in
the world that make SM cards, it may have been a bad batch.

Also, if you use the Panorama function in the D-510Z, you need to use the more
expensive Olympus branded cards (or hack the card's header).

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)