Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A70 price after A80 release

Canon A70 price after A80 release

Bill

Is it possible the price of the Canon a70 fall after the release of Canon
A80?

__________________________________________________ ________________ Mário
Diogo ICQ#: 164987050 Current ICQ status: + More ways to contact me

Graham

Bill wrote:
> Is it possible the price of the Canon a70 fall after the release of
> Canon A80?

The price of the A70 is unlikely to fall whilst demand exceeds supply.
The A70 seems to be suppressing demand for the A60 - lots of people
here, including me, have commented that they set out to buy 2Mp and
finished up choosing the A60 then spending a little more.

However the A80 seems to me to be too different and too much more
expensive to affect demand for the A70.

Morgan Ohlson

Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3F4D33D1.9A8D3D6D@alp halink.com.au...
> Bill wrote:
> > Is it possible the price of the Canon a70 fall after the release of
> > Canon A80?

> The price of the A70 is unlikely to fall whilst demand exceeds supply.
> The A70 seems to be suppressing demand for the A60 - lots of people
> here, including me, have commented that they set out to buy 2Mp and
> finished up choosing the A60 then spending a little more.
>
> However the A80 seems to me to be too different and too much more
> expensive to affect demand for the A70.

When CCD's fall in price it will not be possible to motivate such a good
camera together with a 2Mpix as A60.
Soon only toy-cameras will have 2Mpix.

2Mpix is enough to take good pictures, but it will not be rational to
combine a 300$ housing and a 10$ CCD, wich very soon will be the case.

Naturally the price will fall! ...how much is the question.

Morgan O.

Graham

Morgan Ohlson wrote:
> When CCD's fall in price it will not be possible to motivate such a
> good camera together with a 2Mpix as A60.
> Soon only toy-cameras will have 2Mpix.

It's already happened of course - you can no longer buy a good quality
new digital camera with only 1.3Mp.

1.3Mp is 1024 x 768, which is many people's screen resolution, 2Mp is
1600 x 1200 which pretty much covers everyone, so it will be interesting
to see if the market is completely driven by the demand for digital
cameras for printing or if in fact there is a residual demand for decent
digital cameras with only sufficient resolution for computer screens.
Certainly I don't expect to ever print more than a very occasional
picture, my A70 was bought entirely for computer based pictures.

> Naturally the price will fall! ...how much is the question.

No, "How soon?" is the question.

diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3F5095CE.570474FD@alp halink.com.au...
> > Graham skrev:
> > > The A70 seems to be suppressing demand for the A60 - lots of
> > > people here, including me, have commented that they set out to buy
> > > 2Mp and finished up choosing the A60 then spending a little more.

> Morgan Ohlson wrote:
> > When CCD's fall in price it will not be possible to motivate such a
> > good camera together with a 2Mpix as A60.
> > Soon only toy-cameras will have 2Mpix.

> It's already happened of course - you can no longer buy a good quality
> new digital camera with only 1.3Mp.
>
> 1.3Mp is 1024 x 768, which is many people's screen resolution, 2Mp is
> 1600 x 1200 which pretty much covers everyone, so it will be interesting
> to see if the market is completely driven by the demand for digital
> cameras for printing or if in fact there is a residual demand for decent
> digital cameras with only sufficient resolution for computer screens.
> Certainly I don't expect to ever print more than a very occasional
> picture, my A70 was bought entirely for computer based pictures.
>
> > Naturally the price will fall! ...how much is the question.

> No, "How soon?" is the question.

Same day as A80 is in stores the A70 will fall.

Only few will buy the A70 if the price difference is 10-15%. My guess is
that the difference in price between 3 and 4Mpix (alone) should motivate
minimum 20% difference in price.

Morgan O.