Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Beware of virus attached to News threads

Beware of virus attached to News threads

Gary J Bevans

Beware of attached virus to message from http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads

the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot

fj.comp.dev.digital-camera

Gary

Enough

In article <6Y12b.22117$nf3.21854@fed1read07>,
"Gary J Bevans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Beware of attached virus to message from (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
>
> the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot
>
> fj.comp.dev.digital-camera
>
> Gary

Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!

Thank you, Bill, can I have ANOTHER?

--
Enough <(E-Mail Removed)>

Trevor S

"Gary J Bevans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:6Y12b.22117$nf3.21854
@fed1read07:

> Beware of attached virus to message from (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
>
> the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot
>
> fj.comp.dev.digital-camera

You're using:

shrug.. grab a non MS newsreader

I can recommend X-News, it's free and better to boot.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

Roland Karlsson

Enough <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Vk22b.88102$On2.3946171
@twister.tampabay.rr.com:

> Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!

The chap warned for a virus on news. I don't
think he asked for a jihad against PC or Micro$oft.

BTW - I use xnews. It cannot run attachments,
so I am safe. No need to run any stinkin' attachments
when reading news. So - a good advice is to avoid
Outlook Express.

Roland

Herb Kauhry

Yeah, if there were enough macs around for the hackers to bother creating a
virus for them, you would fear them because you no doubt haven't any virus
protection. As it stands, there are hardly enough macs in the world to even
keep the most prolific virus alive. What a clever anti-virus technique.

"How you like them apples"?

--

"Enough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vk22b.88102$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> In article <6Y12b.22117$nf3.21854@fed1read07>,
> "Gary J Bevans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Beware of attached virus to message from (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
> >
> > the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot
> >
> > fj.comp.dev.digital-camera
> >
> > Gary
> >

> Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!
>
> Thank you, Bill, can I have ANOTHER?
>
> --
> Enough <(E-Mail Removed)>

Randall Ainsworth

> Beware of attached virus to message from (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
>
> the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot

Virus? What's that?

Oh yeah...I use Macintosh.

Charlie D

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Herb Kauhry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As it stands, there are hardly enough macs in the world to even
> keep the most prolific virus alive. What a clever anti-virus technique.
>
> "How you like them apples"?

Just fine.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Beowulf

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 07:38:13 -0500, Enough wrote:
..

> Buy a Mac. We don't fear no stinkin' virus!

..

Or just switch to the LINUX operating system-- virtually unheard of for
viruses to harm a PC running linux. In fact, I even run Microsoft Windows
in a window of Linux-- and doing that prevents MS viruses from having any
effect since the MS-Windows from within linux still is using the linux
filesystem which is very safe from viruses and worms.

Charles

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yeah, if there were enough macs around for the hackers to bother creating a
> virus for them, you would fear them because you no doubt haven't any virus

There are millions of Mac and Linux users. It is not a coincidence that
they viruses are effecting Windows users and not Mac and Linux users.
See this article in todays Washington Post.

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34978-2003Aug23.html>

The answer to this problem is that Microsoft should spend some of the
billions it has in the bank and fix it's Windows security problems.

--
Charles

John McGaw

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:240820030646220545%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Beware of attached virus to message from (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> > Ran accross a virus while reading some news threads
> >
> > the virus is a Backdoor.sdbot

> Virus? What's that?
>
> Oh yeah...I use Macintosh.

Gotta be careful though. Keep touting Macintosh and Linux and make them
popular then you will be the one with the virus problem -- nobody, even your
regular cracker type will bother with a fringe product used by a tiny
portion of the market but as soon as they become mainstream they will be
worth attacking. And because they haven't been subjected to severe attacks
in the past they may well be even more vulnerable than Windoze...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please