Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do I darken the image when printing?

How do I darken the image when printing?

Richard Dillon

Folks, I have been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (trial version)
for a couple of days now.
I have been trying to print things that would match what I see on
screen. I've gotten things a lot closer, but would like to darken up
my pictures a little bit more. They are printing out a little bit too
light yet for my liking.

I calibrated the monitor, and have set up the options in print preview
for color management, and set the print space profile to my printer,
the Epson Photo stylus 750, then chose Perceptual for the intent
option.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might darken up my prints
a little bit? Thanks so much in advance, Richard Dillon

Tony Spadaro

Calibration is only part of the process. You need to determine for each
paper you use a standard Levels (or Curves) setting that will give you what
you want. I use Photoshop which has adjustment layers but it can be done
without. Simply save the file to a new name (like adding PRN to the end of
the name) make a Levels adjustment that will print the way you want -- and
yes it will take a few tries as you will not know until you actually print
what you are going to get. When you have a steeing that works write it down
or if Elements allows you to save Levels settings, do so naming it after the
paper you made it for.
This is basic darkroom work that every photographer from Fox Talbot to
you has had to do. It starts out being a PITA but you quickly get the swing
of it.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Richard Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Folks, I have been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (trial version)
> for a couple of days now.
> I have been trying to print things that would match what I see on
> screen. I've gotten things a lot closer, but would like to darken up
> my pictures a little bit more. They are printing out a little bit too
> light yet for my liking.
>
> I calibrated the monitor, and have set up the options in print preview
> for color management, and set the print space profile to my printer,
> the Epson Photo stylus 750, then chose Perceptual for the intent
> option.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might darken up my prints
> a little bit? Thanks so much in advance, Richard Dillon

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Richard Dillon)

>Folks, I have been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (trial version)
>for a couple of days now ... would like to darken up
>my pictures a little bit more. They are printing out a little bit too
>light yet for my liking.

Open up Levels and move the middle slider to the right to darken the mid-tones.

Patrick L.

"Richard Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Folks, I have been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 (trial version)
> for a couple of days now.
> I have been trying to print things that would match what I see on
> screen. I've gotten things a lot closer, but would like to darken up
> my pictures a little bit more. They are printing out a little bit too
> light yet for my liking.
>
> I calibrated the monitor, and have set up the options in print preview
> for color management, and set the print space profile to my printer,
> the Epson Photo stylus 750, then chose Perceptual for the intent
> option.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might darken up my prints
> a little bit? Thanks so much in advance, Richard Dillon

You can do a points adjustment (levels), or a curves adjustment.

If Elements has what PhotoShop has, if you have a levels adjustment, just
move the pointers to get the desired effect. If you have "autolevels",
often this will darken the image a bit (if it was properly exposed to begin
with). If you have a curves adjustment, just tug at the center of the
diagonal line to the southeast direction just a bit, and it will darken
the image. Personally, I don't like using the brightness control to achieve
this.

Patrick