Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl variable "leading white spaces" Please help

Perl variable "leading white spaces" Please help

\Dandy\ Randy

Hello everyone. I have been following misc posts, as well as reading several
FAQ's on this issue, unfortunatley I cannot locate a solution. I am hoping
that someone will be able to provide me with the simple answer. My problem
has to do with the leading white spaces after the first line when calling
data using the @ variable. Here is my code:

open (PREVIEW, "<preview.txt") or &error("Unable to open the data file for
reading");
flock PREVIEW, 2;
@previewcontent=<PREVIEW>;
close(PREVIEW);

Later down the script there is this code:

print "Content-type: text/html \n\n";
print <<PRINTHTML;
<textarea rows="5" name="headerdata" cols="50">@previewcontent</textarea>
PRINTHTML
exit;

On most FAQ's and other support pages, this issue is usually caused by
adding "" 's to the variable when assigning it's value ... in my case, i'm
just opening a text file, and assigning all data to the @previewcontent
variable ... no "" 's present. When I run the script, the open file command
works correctly and shows the data in the textarea box, but on every line
except the first, all lines lead off with a white space like below:

This is the first line data
This is the second line data
This is the third line data
This is the forth line data ... and so on.

This is a big problem because below the textarea box there is a button to
save the data back to the text file ... and it saves these whitespaces with
it. Everytime the script loads, an additional white space is added without
end. Please help me! I wouldnt have posted this topic unless I has searched
everywhere I could first. Thank you to all who read and/or respond with a
solution! Hoping to deliver a solution to my boss soon.

TIA Randy

Shawn Corey

"Dandy" Randy wrote:

> Hello everyone. I have been following misc posts, as well as reading several
> FAQ's on this issue, unfortunatley I cannot locate a solution. I am hoping
> that someone will be able to provide me with the simple answer. My problem
> has to do with the leading white spaces after the first line when calling
> data using the @ variable. Here is my code:
>
> open (PREVIEW, "<preview.txt") or &error("Unable to open the data file for
> reading");
> flock PREVIEW, 2;
> @previewcontent=<PREVIEW>;

Add here:
map { s/^\s+// } @previewcontent;

> close(PREVIEW);
>
> Later down the script there is this code:
>
> print "Content-type: text/html \n\n";
> print <<PRINTHTML;
> <textarea rows="5" name="headerdata" cols="50">@previewcontent</textarea>
> PRINTHTML
> exit;
>
> On most FAQ's and other support pages, this issue is usually caused by
> adding "" 's to the variable when assigning it's value ... in my case, i'm
> just opening a text file, and assigning all data to the @previewcontent
> variable ... no "" 's present. When I run the script, the open file command
> works correctly and shows the data in the textarea box, but on every line
> except the first, all lines lead off with a white space like below:
>
> This is the first line data
> This is the second line data
> This is the third line data
> This is the forth line data ... and so on.
>
> This is a big problem because below the textarea box there is a button to
> save the data back to the text file ... and it saves these whitespaces with
> it. Everytime the script loads, an additional white space is added without
> end. Please help me! I wouldnt have posted this topic unless I has searched
> everywhere I could first. Thank you to all who read and/or respond with a
> solution! Hoping to deliver a solution to my boss soon.
>
> TIA Randy

Eric J. Roode