Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > fuji or canon

fuji or canon

jUnK|E

hi!!

this might sound like a lame question but im kind of a newbie in this area
and i would like to get some oppions about canon g2 and fuji finepix 3800. i
wanna get one of these - the price is similar, they have similar featurers.
canon has 4.0 megapixel sensor whereas fuji only 3.2. is this the most
important thing i should think of? or if zoom matters more?? thank you very
much for all your help

greetins
martin

Larry R Harrison Jr

"jUnK|E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nEB1b.241$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi!!
>
> this might sound like a lame question but im kind of a newbie in this area
> and i would like to get some oppions about canon g2 and fuji finepix 3800.

> wanna get one of these - the price is similar, they have similar

featurers.
> canon has 4.0 megapixel sensor whereas fuji only 3.2. is this the most
> important thing i should think of? or if zoom matters more?? thank you

very
> much for all your help
>
> greetins
> martin

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but last time I looked someone
told me that Fuji's use their own propertiary memory, whereas Canons use the
extremely popular and easily found Compact Flash. I dislike anything
proprietary, so I'd rather having a Canon if that's what it takes to forego
something as crucial as flash memory being proprietary.

Steve Michelson

Fuji uses standard xD memory. It's not proprietary.

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but last time I looked someone
> told me that Fuji's use their own propertiary memory, whereas Canons use

the
> extremely popular and easily found Compact Flash. I dislike anything
> proprietary, so I'd rather having a Canon if that's what it takes to

forego
> something as crucial as flash memory being proprietary.

Andrew

Steve Michelson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Fuji uses standard xD memory. It's not proprietary.

Oddball if not proprietary. Stick to products that use CF cards.

Andrew

stan@temple.edu

Larry R Harrison Jr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but last time I looked someone
> told me that Fuji's use their own propertiary memory, whereas Canons use the
> extremely popular and easily found Compact Flash. I dislike anything
> proprietary, so I'd rather having a Canon if that's what it takes to forego
> something as crucial as flash memory being proprietary.

My old Fuji uses standard memory cards. The technical specs for the
cameras the OP is considering are probably available on each
manufacturers' web site.

Which camera to get depends on the intended use of the camera. For those
who want to print as large as possible, more megapixels is desirable. If
the goal with this camera is to send photos via email or print standard
4x6 photos, the lower resolution camera might be fine.

Also important is how easy the camera is to hold and operate.

Dean

XD memory cards are used by both Fuji & Olympus. Their small size, extremely
fast write & read speeds, and very low battery consumption make it a good
choice for todays cameras. I've been using the FP 3800 for almost a year &
for the most part I'm impressed by it. It's short commings are low light
focus inability & no manual focus. ISO 100 is it's only setting, which can
be a liability. Number of shots between charge of Nimh batteries varies
depending on flash use and use of LCD screen, but will never be any lower
then 100 shots and I've seen as many as 250 shots between charges.