Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Chromatic aberration

Chromatic aberration

Richard

I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there some
digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro )?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news:8Mx1b.4094$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
> aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there some
> digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
> Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
> simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro )?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

Sorry I made a mistake. I wrote that I am not planning of buying Canon A70
while I meant Canon Powershot A70.

Richard

Frankhartx

>From: "Richard" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

> I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
>aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there some
>digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
>Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
>simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro )?
>
> Perhaps with the $19,95 toy digitals but think about it--Canon, Nikon,

Minolta, Olympus.Sony etc are all experienced makers of top flight optics
bo.th for film and digital

reg-john

"Frankhartx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: "Richard" (E-Mail Removed)

> > I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
> >aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there

some
> >digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
> >Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
> >simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro

)?

> > Perhaps with the $19,95 toy digitals but think about it--Canon, Nikon,

> Minolta, Olympus.Sony etc are all experienced makers of top flight

optics
> bo.th for film and digital

haha, so youve never used an oly c series ultrazoom obviously.

Obake

In article <8Mx1b.4094$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
>aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there some
>digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
>Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
>simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro )?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

try reading the reviews at dpreview.com. CA is one criteria he looks at when
reviewing a cameras.

Richard

news:3f46b8f5$0$6526$(E-Mail Removed) ...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
> >aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there

some
> >digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
> >Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
> >simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro

)?

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Richard
> >

> try reading the reviews at dpreview.com. CA is one criteria he looks at

when
> reviewing a cameras.

I read the review at dpreview.com. This it where I read that the Canon
Powershot A70 has a slight chromatic aberration. I wonder how slight it is.
I have been looking for digital camera fo more than a week now and every
camera I have looked seem to have a problem. I want to buy my camera very
soon but I find it difficult to find a good one at a reasonable price.

Richard

Don

Take the reviews on dpreview.com with a grain of salt. They have a tendency
to compare apples and oranges. They do much of their testing with whatever
default settings the camera manufaturers set, without mentioning that they
haven't normalized them and they are often vastly different from one brand
or model to another.

In particular, many cameras come with considerable sharpness and saturation
boosts as defaults. Both will appear to increase the CA compared to a
camera which has a more moderate level of boost.

Don

--
Experience is what lets you recognize
a mistake when you make it again.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
> >aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there

some
> >digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
> >Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
> >simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro

)?

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Richard
> >

> try reading the reviews at dpreview.com. CA is one criteria he looks at

when
> reviewing a cameras.

Jon Bell

In article <s9z1b.4123$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I read the review at dpreview.com. This it where I read that the Canon
>Powershot A70 has a slight chromatic aberration. I wonder how slight it is.

Doesn't the review include any full-resolution sample images you can
examine? I seem to remember dpreview had some for the Minolta Dimage 7i
or 7Hi (5 megapixel) when I was checking out those cameras in detail
before buying the 7i. Or maybe I'm thinking of another site.

--
Jon Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> Presbyterian College

Whatevah

All digital cameras have this problem... it's more evident in the cameras
with the cheaper lenses.

I've looked at the sample images from the A70 and don't see any CA in most
of the shots...

I still use a Canon Powershot G1 (about 2 years old) as my primary digital
camera, and while I know it has CA, I rarely see it. Partially because I've
learned how to avoid situations that cause it.

The A70 is a great little camera

--
Jerry
www.whatevah.com / jerry at whatevah dot com

news:8Mx1b.4094$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have read that digital cameras have a tendency to have chromatic
> aberration (purple fringing) . Is it a really big problem? Is there some
> digital cameras that do not have this problem? I am thinking of buying a
> Canon A70. Does it have a big chromatic aberration problem? Is there a
> simple way to correct this with a software (I am uisng Paint Shop Pro )?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

Ethan Trewhitt

According to Whatevah <(E-Mail Removed)>
(news:bi6q77$5nupk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de) :
> I still use a Canon Powershot G1 (about 2 years old) as my primary
> digital camera, and while I know it has CA, I rarely see it.
> Partially because I've learned how to avoid situations that cause it.

I've got the same one. I've heard that the cameras with CCDs that have a
smaller surface area are less prone to CA, whereas those with larger CCDs (or
CMOSs) have more angled light, causing CA (and also vignetting).

--
eth'nT
http://www.hydrous.net