Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C-740 with Polarizer

Olympus C-740 with Polarizer

Perry Babin

Hello all,

I'm trying to use a polarizer with a C-740 and the pictures are not
clear. It looks as if the camera is being moved as the picture is taken.
I know it's not moving because I'm using a tripod and the timer. It's
much worse at maximum zoom but is noticeable at wide angle also. If I
remove the polarizer and change nothing else, the pictures are perfectly
fine. I tried it with the polarizer in several positions (rotationally)
and it made no difference. I even tried it on manual zoom and the
pictures were still blurred. I tried a UV filter and it doesn't cause
the problem.

I'm not sure if I have a circular polarizer or a linear polarizer. It
was used on an AE-1 so it didn't matter.

If anyone could offer some suggestions as to how I can solve this
problem, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
Perry Babin

Perry Babin

Well... That was lots of help. The lens is fine without the polarizer.
What camera would you have suggested with the flexibility and image
quality of this camera (without the polarizer, of course) for $400us?

As a side note, I purchased the camera for images on my site and a few
other browser based applications (including some macro stuff). The
camera will easily perform those functions flawlessly. If/when I want to
use the camera outdoors, I'd like to be able to use a polarizer.

I didn't mention this before but the image is perfectly focused in the
viewfinder before the picture is taken.

Thanks
PB

Tony Spazaro wrote:

> Get a real camera. The crappy zoom on your camera is garbage. Long
> consumer zooms SUCK!
>
> Perry Babin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm trying to use a polarizer with a C-740 and the pictures are not
> > clear. It looks as if the camera is being moved as the picture is taken.
> > I know it's not moving because I'm using a tripod and the timer. It's
> > much worse at maximum zoom but is noticeable at wide angle also. If I
> > remove the polarizer and change nothing else, the pictures are perfectly
> > fine. I tried it with the polarizer in several positions (rotationally)
> > and it made no difference. I even tried it on manual zoom and the
> > pictures were still blurred. I tried a UV filter and it doesn't cause
> > the problem.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I have a circular polarizer or a linear polarizer. It
> > was used on an AE-1 so it didn't matter.
> >
> > If anyone could offer some suggestions as to how I can solve this
> > problem, I'd appreciate it.
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> > Perry Babin

Jack in the Fox!

> I didn't mention this before but the image is perfectly focused in the
> viewfinder before the picture is taken.

Well that was a nice fact to leave out and throw at us after wasting time trying to figure the problem
out. What else are you hiding from us?

Jarhead

"Perry Babin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello all,
|
| I'm trying to use a polarizer with a C-740 and the pictures are not
| clear. It looks as if the camera is being moved as the picture is taken.
| I know it's not moving because I'm using a tripod and the timer. It's
| much worse at maximum zoom but is noticeable at wide angle also. If I
| remove the polarizer and change nothing else, the pictures are perfectly
| fine. I tried it with the polarizer in several positions (rotationally)
| and it made no difference. I even tried it on manual zoom and the
| pictures were still blurred. I tried a UV filter and it doesn't cause
| the problem.
|
| I'm not sure if I have a circular polarizer or a linear polarizer. It
| was used on an AE-1 so it didn't matter.
|
| If anyone could offer some suggestions as to how I can solve this
| problem, I'd appreciate it.
|

| Thanks in advance
| Perry Babin

Under "Support" on the page below there is a drop down titled " Ask
Olympus". My guess would be that the polarized light is confusing the AF or
the CCD doesn't like polarized light.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...pg_digital.asp

Jarhead