Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Simulating an orange filter in Photoshop

Simulating an orange filter in Photoshop

Al Treacher

The answer to this may be fairly obvious, but it currently eludes me!

How does one simulate the effect of taking a monochrome photograph
with an orange filter in Photoshop?

Doing it with a red filter is easy - the red channel is easy to find
and manipulate.

However, how does one do the same with a colour that's not simply Red,
Green or Blue? I'd like to experiment with orange because sometimes I
find the effects of a red filter too extreme.

Thanks in anticipation,
Al

Jeff Zawrotny

"Al Treacher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The answer to this may be fairly obvious, but it currently eludes me!
>
> How does one simulate the effect of taking a monochrome photograph
> with an orange filter in Photoshop?
>
> Doing it with a red filter is easy - the red channel is easy to find
> and manipulate.
>
> However, how does one do the same with a colour that's not simply Red,
> Green or Blue? I'd like to experiment with orange because sometimes I
> find the effects of a red filter too extreme.
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
> Al

Looking at my color wheel, I find orange in-between red and yellow.

What? There's no yellow channel??

Luckily, there is a blue channel and that happens to be directly across from
yellow on my wheel, so I say use blue and go the opposite way.

Do 50/50 of each.

That should get you in the ballpark.

- jz

Roland Karlsson

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:2Pu1b.11031$J16.542137
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

> If you are starting with a colour original (and that is really the only
> way do truly simulate any colour filter) add an orange layer above the
> original, see if it makes the areas you want to emphasize look good, and if
> so, flatten and turn to monochrome. You can select from a full range of
> oranges and yellows to do it.
> Another possibility is to select the area you want and make the changes
> directly to it - leaving the rest of the picture unchanged.
> You can also make changes in the levels of individual colours (R,G, and
> B) to crate the effect you want, or dupe the image, go to cmyk colour space
> and try adding the yellow channel to the original red channel, and then go
> to monochrome.
> There are several other methods - these are the ones I've used.

It is not possible to simulate an orange filter in Photoshop.
You cannot either simulate a deep red filter. The information
is lost when taking the picture.

Roland

Pete

On 22 Aug 2003 20:23:09 GMT, Roland Karlsson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It is not possible to simulate an orange filter in Photoshop.
>You cannot either simulate a deep red filter. The information
>is lost when taking the picture.

Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but this doesn't make sense to me.
Could you explain why?

Steve Jenkins

> Doing it with a red filter is easy - the red channel is easy to find
> and manipulate.

All colors come from red green and blue. Mixing in some of the green
should get the red to get more orange. Try it.

Alan F Cross

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve Jenkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> Doing it with a red filter is easy - the red channel is easy to find
>> and manipulate.

>All colors come from red green and blue. Mixing in some of the green
>should get the red to get more orange. Try it.

The way to do it is to use the Image\Adjust\Channel Mixer. Set the box
to 'monochrome' and play with the sliders.

For orange you can start with 100% red, 0% green and 0% blue, and see
how you like the effect. You can then 'dilute' the effect by bringing in
the other primaries and reducing the red, always ensuring that they add
up to 100% (or tweak the 'constant' slider).

You can simulate any number of filter colours this way. But I would
suggest you get away from the constricting notion 'must simulate an
orange filter' and move towards the creative possibilities of channel
mixing.
--
Alan F Cross

Gary Eickmeier

"Pete" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 22 Aug 2003 20:23:09 GMT, Roland Karlsson
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >It is not possible to simulate an orange filter in Photoshop.
> >You cannot either simulate a deep red filter. The information
> >is lost when taking the picture.

> Maybe I'm having a senior moment, but this doesn't make sense to me.
> Could you explain why?

He must be thinking black and white. I presume we are talking about a color
original, filtered with an orange filter, then printed in B&W. In this case,
the "information" is certainly not lost before filtering.

Gary Eickmeier

Pete

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 23:38:07 GMT, "Gary Eickmeier"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>He must be thinking black and white. I presume we are talking about a color
>original, filtered with an orange filter, then printed in B&W. In this case,
>the "information" is certainly not lost before filtering.
>
>Gary Eickmeier

I'd agree with that

Faolan

In the scrolls <(E-Mail Removed)> a Dark Angel
named Al Treacher spoketh these words of doom:
> The answer to this may be fairly obvious, but it currently eludes me!
>
> How does one simulate the effect of taking a monochrome photograph
> with an orange filter in Photoshop?

Assuming you taken the shot in colour consider the following article:

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workshop...nnelmixer.html

There is a set of filters call Niks Effects that simulate camera filters
for Photoshop(and compatible):

http://www.creativepro.com/story/review/14307.html
http://www.outbackphoto.com/reviews/...ColorEfex.html

Downside is that they are pretty expensive (

Roderick Stewart

In article <2_v1b.1202$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark Roberts
wrote:
> >How does one simulate the effect of taking a monochrome photograph
> >with an orange filter in Photoshop?

> I assume you're starting with a color image, right?
> I don't know of a way of doing it directly in Photoshop, but FilterSim
> will duplicate the effects of most color filters

Take the picture in colour in the normal way. Then just play with the
colour gain/contrast settings in your graphics software until the
picture appears tinted the colour of the filter you want to simulate.
Then reduce it to monochrome/greyscale.

I did some experiments once to see what proportions of red green and
blue were mixed to make monochrome in both Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro,
and found that PSP uses something very close to the photopic proportions
of 0.59G, 0.30R, 0.11B used in television, but Photoshop uses quite
different values, so it's worth experimenting.

Rod.