Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > JPG via cd/dvd player

JPG via cd/dvd player

Shakey

I received replies on this before but nothing definitive.
SO:
Does anyone know of a cd/dvd player that is especially well optimized to
display JPG's from cd.
I have tried three and not satisfied. Unfortunately few shops have demo
units hooked to TV's.
Yes I realise I will not get computer monitor quality.
TIA
Mel

Steve Jenkins

> Does anyone know of a cd/dvd player that is especially well optimized to
> display JPG's from cd.

Yes, every DVD player now being sold in stores.

> I have tried three and not satisfied.

Not being satisfied is not that same as them not displaying the JPGs on your
TV screen.

> Unfortunately few shops have demo
> units hooked to TV's.

Because then they would have to invest in getting Sony tvs connected to each
player and that gets expensive. One store that didn't even sell Sony
tvs, had a row of them in the store just to make their VCR and DVD players
look good.

If they have low quality TVs connected, that will not sell a lot of DVD
players. Perhaps your TV is the problem. Is it a Sony, or something
like a GE that you tried to save money on?

> Yes I realise I will not get computer monitor quality.

Apparently not. But go to a friend's house that has a Sony tv and connect
your DVD player to it and try again. If you are still not satisfied, then
forget viewing JPGs on a television set altogether because you can't get any
better than that.

Shakey

YOUR ANSWER IS USELESS AND INCORRECT.
..

"Steve Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know of a cd/dvd player that is especially well optimized to
> > display JPG's from cd.

> Yes, every DVD player now being sold in stores.

First; most not all players support jpg from cd's.
Second there are different optomisation algorithms used therefor different
quality results

> > I have tried three and not satisfied.

> Not being satisfied is not that same as them not displaying the JPGs on

your
> TV screen.

Did I say different?

> > Unfortunately few shops have demo
> > units hooked to TV's.

> Because then they would have to invest in getting Sony tvs connected to

each
> player and that gets expensive. One store that didn't even sell Sony
> tvs, had a row of them in the store just to make their VCR and DVD players
> look good.
>
> If they have low quality TVs connected, that will not sell a lot of DVD
> players. Perhaps your TV is the problem. Is it a Sony, or something
> like a GE that you tried to save money on?

Sony is not the only good tv but since you seem to think so I wilol let you
know that I am using a $2000 Sony.

> > Yes I realise I will not get computer monitor quality.

> Apparently not. But go to a friend's house that has a Sony tv and

connect
> your DVD player to it and try again. If you are still not satisfied,

then
> forget viewing JPGs on a television set altogether because you can't get

any
> better than that.

Simple BS.

Jason O'Rourke

Shakey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I will give that Uleads program a look.
>As to the other questions my dissatisfaction is between the same JPG picture
>on the same Sony TV when viewed from the camera's A/V output versus from a
>cd that had the file recorded with no reduction in quality. IE: file copy
>"camera/pc/cd"
>The raster lines were much more visible than from A/V input.

Mel, that definitely suggests that the dvd players are doing less
than the digicam on the video out, either they're scaling it poorly,
or the flag on dvdpictureshow for tv output is important.

Try the demo version - you'll probably like it and you can burn
vcd2s on cdr, or onto dvdrs that will play in the majority of players
out there.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Shakey

"Steve Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shakey wrote:
>
> > YOUR ANSWER IS USELESS AND INCORRECT.

> That must be why I have no problem viewing JPGs on my DVD players and you

do.
> Don't be such a smart ass, YOU are the one that has the problem with

something
> so simple. I explained it and you don't want to learn, so good, then

you
> can't watch JPGs on DVD and I can. Your loss.
>
> Can't say we didn't try to help.

Please do not use the word "we". Others did help , you are just a wise guy.
My last message to you.

Myles

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:41:00 GMT, "Shakey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I received replies on this before but nothing definitive.
>SO:
>Does anyone know of a cd/dvd player that is especially well optimized to
>display JPG's from cd.
>I have tried three and not satisfied. Unfortunately few shops have demo
>units hooked to TV's.
>Yes I realise I will not get computer monitor quality.
>TIA
>Mel

My dvd player is Ok for jpgs but it plays EVERY jpg on the disk ( in
folders, subfolders etc etc !) so the problem is not failure to play
jpgs but failure to give me the option of which jpgs to display .
Anyone know if this is a resonable feature or what I may be doing
wrong.
I use Samsung E235D
Myles