Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Canon EOS300D/10D flash question

Re: Canon EOS300D/10D flash question

Robertwgross

shoubhik wrote:
>Does anyone know if the new EOS 300D or the older 10D support
>non E-TTL flashes?

All of those EOS digital cameras operate in E-TTL mode, so you really want a
Canon xxx-EX flash unit such as 550EX. They will support Manual flash mode if
your older flash unit does that only, but Manual isn't much fun.

---Bob Gross---

Mark M

"Gore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f45e5b1$(E-Mail Removed)5.net...
> > All of those EOS digital cameras operate in E-TTL mode, so you really

want
> > Canon xxx-EX flash unit such as 550EX. They will support Manual flash

mode
> if
> > your older flash unit does that only, but Manual isn't much fun.
> >
> > ---Bob Gross---

> Does someone know something about Sigma EF-500 Super (sort of 550EX clone)
> and its compatibility with 10D or 300D?
> I heard different things - it works in Manual, sometimes it works, it

works,
> don't work....

I think you summed it up well with that last line up there... It works...it
doesn't work... "Cross your fingers and hope for the best" seems to be the
Sigma motto--

Mark B.

"Gore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f45e5b1$(E-Mail Removed)5.net...
> > All of those EOS digital cameras operate in E-TTL mode, so you really

want
> > Canon xxx-EX flash unit such as 550EX. They will support Manual flash

mode
> if
> > your older flash unit does that only, but Manual isn't much fun.
> >
> > ---Bob Gross---

> Does someone know something about Sigma EF-500 Super (sort of 550EX clone)
> and its compatibility with 10D or 300D?
> I heard different things - it works in Manual, sometimes it works, it

works,
> don't work....
> Did someone test it (with 10D while 300D isn't available yet)?
>
> Best regards, Gore

Yes, it does work. I use the Super on my D30, see my comments in my other
reply. EF-500 Super DG is a newer version of that flash.

Mark