Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: no full frame cheap dslr on horizon.

Re: no full frame cheap dslr on horizon.

Charles Schuler

"Benjamin Librande" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So with canon's new lens for its digital rebel does this mean that a
> full frame affordable dslr is just not going to happen? The new lens
> mount and lenses kind of suggest that the sensor is going to stay that
> size (1.6x magnification) for a long time to come.
>
> Perhaps the future generations of the 10D will move toward full frame? I
> think that's what I'm waiting for; something with a 1.0-1.3x

magnification.

This is an economics issue. Integrated circuits are batch processed on
wafers. Smaller ICs produce a better price point because there are more of
them on each wafer. Wafer sizes are getting to be quite large (12 inches,
for example) so it might be reasonable to expect that 35 mm sensor ICs will
become very affordable in the future. There are also issues like yield (the
number of good ICs per wafer), noise, and sensitivity. This is an emerging
technology and lots of interesting things are coming. The Foveon sensor, or
something like it, might make a huge impact at some point.

LlamaLarry

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:::snip:::

> This is an emerging
> technology and lots of interesting things are coming. The Foveon sensor,

or
> something like it, might make a huge impact at some point.

I am actually a little surprised to see so little traffic on the Foveon
here. I am a long time film user, but have had my little Kodak DC290 for
about 4 years. Hey, no laughing - at the time it was a pretty snazzy P&S
plus at over $1000 when I bought her it was about all I could afford.

Nowadays I am looking to go DSLR and headed toward the Canon 10D
(abandoning all my Minolta gear thanks to their lack of DSLR :::sigh::.

So what's the scoop on Foveon? Why so light on the ranting and/or
raving?

--Larry

Dave Martindale

"LlamaLarry" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> So what's the scoop on Foveon? Why so light on the ranting and/or
>raving?

There has actually been lots posted. Search Google's archive of this
group looking for "Foveon" in the article body and you should find many