Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A few people photos

A few people photos

Val Sharp

If anyone has a spare moment to run a critical eye over a small
gallery of people photos, it would be much appreciated.

<http://www.pbase.com/valsharp/people>

The first two were taken with my A40, and the rest with the Oly
2100UZ, while out and about during the Edinburgh festival.

(There's also some 'snaps' from the Festival Cavalcade at
<http://www.pbase.com/valsharp/cavalcade>, if you like pipe bands and
things

--
Regards,
Val Sharp - Edinburgh

Graham

Val Sharp wrote:
> If anyone has a spare moment to run a critical eye over a small
> gallery of people photos, it would be much appreciated.
>
> <http://www.pbase.com/valsharp/people>

I'm technically competent with a manual film camera.

I can get the image I want under all sorts of lighting conditions with
various different techniques. I can look at a landscape and "see" what I
want to get from it. I can take good clear photographs of machinery,
components, etc. I think it is fair to say my composition sometimes
lacks a certain something, but I can make a camera do what I want it to
do. I'm a competent, if not very imaginative amateur.

I haven't got a clue about portraits.

In that context, most of these photos don't do much for me, but I did
like:

<http://mikoga.image.pbase.com/u18/valsharp/small/20407563.P8111408e.jpg>
The young (Greek?) chap in the black cap and waistcoat, I just like the
look on his face.

<http://mikilo.image.pbase.com/u17/valsharp/small/20298212.P8111386e.jpg>
or <http://www.pbase.com/image/20298212>
Two people in the shadows. I'm sorry, I can't quite define what it is I
like here, which is probably why I can't do this sort of thing myself!
Curiously I find the full size image, in which the people are more
clearly visible, doesn't work as well for me, whereas the thumbnail,
where they're lost in shadow, does.

The real stand out for me though, was the bagpiper:
<http://mikuna.image.pbase.com/u18/valsharp/small/20407570.P8111435e.jpg>
or <http://www.pbase.com/image/20407570>

If I could do this with a camera, I would be a happy man.

Val Sharp

Graham, on 21/08/03 17:13, wrote:

Thanks for the feedback Graham.

> In that context, most of these photos don't do much for me, but I did
> like:
>
> <http://mikoga.image.pbase.com/u18/valsharp/small/20407563.P8111408e.jpg>
> The young (Greek?) chap in the black cap and waistcoat, I just like the
> look on his face.

That look reminds me of the Mona Lisa[1], but his cuteness keeps
getting in the way of my judgement of this photo

> <http://mikilo.image.pbase.com/u17/valsharp/small/20298212.P8111386e.jpg>
> or <http://www.pbase.com/image/20298212>
> Two people in the shadows. I'm sorry, I can't quite define what it is I
> like here, which is probably why I can't do this sort of thing myself!
> Curiously I find the full size image, in which the people are more
> clearly visible, doesn't work as well for me, whereas the thumbnail,
> where they're lost in shadow, does.

I think maybe I lightened this one too much - the original was
slightly more shadowy, and I thought it had something. After
processing, I couldn't quite put my finger on why it didn't seem so
good. I think it was perhaps more intriguing when it was more shadowy.

> The real stand out for me though, was the bagpiper:
> <http://mikuna.image.pbase.com/u18/valsharp/small/20407570.P8111435e.jpg>
> or <http://www.pbase.com/image/20407570>
>
> If I could do this with a camera, I would be a happy man.

I did it with a camera ... and a bit of post-processing. Having
almost, but not quite, desaturated it, I used 'Selective Color' in
Photoshop to tweak the whites, neutrals (warmer) and blacks (cooler),
and to give it a slight milkiness.

[1]
<http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.romagna.net/arsfactory/sapiens/gioconda.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dgioconda%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr% 3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26sa%3DN>

--
Thanks again and regards,
Val

Tom Shellberg

Dana Laffit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3F451178.9E447455
@yahoo.com:

>> If anyone has a spare moment to run a critical eye over a small
>> gallery of people photos, it would be much appreciated.
>>

> I guess they look great, considering they are of strange people I don't
> know and don't mean anything to me personally. At least animals are
> cute to look at, people are just ugly to me.
>
> We have great software now that can remove people from photographs that
> would otherwise be ruined because people were in the shots and many
> magazines seem to show tips on how to remove people from photos with
> programs like photoshop. Why someone would intentionally want

people
> in the photo (unless they are friends or family or some celebrity) I
> don't know, but to each his own.

I bet people don't let you close enough to take their picture,eh?

--
Tom Shellberg
www.shellberg.com

Val Sharp

Dana Laffit, on 21/08/03 20:40, wrote:

> ... I am just curious if these people are people you know or just
> strangers ...

Total strangers

> and why you find photographing people your thing ...

It's not exactly 'my thing' - this is the first time I've concentrated
on photos of individuals - trying to expand my horizons, broadening my
experience. I've seen and admired street photography by other
photographers, and I was trying to do something like that, though
perhaps it's turned out more 'people' than 'street' photography.

> when there are so
> many programs and software that are now used to take people out of
> photographs....

I've done that too. I reckoned the bloke in
<http://www.pbase.com/image/5583606> wasn't doing much for the photo,
so I took him out <http://www.pbase.com/image/5452699>

OTOH, I rather liked the effect of him in
<http://www.pbase.com/image/5447473>, so there he remains.

> ... I myself am overjoyed that I can not remove people from shots
> that would otherwise have been ruined by some strange people I don't know
> being in them.

If a person is ruining a shot, then it's good to be able to take them
out - just like power lines, or other spurious elements, but sometimes
a person or two can also enhance a picture, add a bit of local colour,
etc ...

> Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to photograph people, and
> millions of people do, but I just don't understand the fascination with people
> and photographing them, unless it is a loved one or someone that means
> something to you personally.

Perhaps it's that a good photographer will be able to capture some
sort of emotion in the subject(s), which would normally evoke some
sort of response in the viewer. Fellow feeling?, shared humanity? ...
or perhaps a sense of wonder at the strangeness of other people's
lives? ... who knows ...

(And there are many people who cannot read or respond to emotion in
others, just as there are photographers who are unable to capture
anything to which one might respond as a viewer.)

A single photo can also arrest a viewers attention as it conjures up a
whole story. (And notice that stories always contain 'people', even if
it's only animals or other objects that have been anthropomorphized.)
I'd like to be able to do that.

Frankly, I'm not interested in other people's family snaps, and I
doubt anyone would be interested in mine.

> Just wondering why many people like to photograph people. Perhaps you
> could just explain why you enjoy it so that I can learn and understand your
> viewpoint. I am just curious.

I've only been at doing photography for about a year, so my viewpoint
is still very much that of a novice photographer.

--
Best regards,
Val

Dana Laffit

> > We have great software now that can remove people from photographs that
> > would otherwise be ruined because people were in the shots and many
> > magazines seem to show tips on how to remove people from photos with
> > programs like photoshop. Why someone would intentionally want

> people
> > in the photo (unless they are friends or family or some celebrity) I
> > don't know, but to each his own.

> I bet people don't let you close enough to take their picture,eh?

Seriously? I wouldn't have the gall to GET that close to some stranger and
be rude enough to take their picture, but that is just me I guess. If
someone took my picture, they would not leave with that camera. My
likeness is my property and copyright and not in the public domain.

As a rule, I like to stay as far away from humans as I can when in
public. It is getting to the point even if you are standing still or
sitting on a bench in a public area, humans will bump into you and not even
think anything of it or apologize. And they are so loud and
obnoxious. And of course many don't think anything of smoking around you
as somehow if you are outdoors the smoke magically doesn't bother anyone else
somehow.

People suck.

Randall Ainsworth

> People suck.

Sometimes...if you're lucky.

Todd Walker

In article <BB6A92C5.1550B%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> How old are you? You know you should be in school, don't you?

I am guessing around 15 or 16. That's usually the "I'd be happy if it
weren't for people" stage. Instead they just decide to wear all black.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Michael Scarpitti

Val Sharp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<xK51b.9997$(E-Mail Removed)9.net>...
> If anyone has a spare moment to run a critical eye over a small
> gallery of people photos, it would be much appreciated.
>
> <http://www.pbase.com/valsharp/people>

These aren't bad. The one of three girls all looking down, facing away
from the camera--what's the point? The violin player shots look kinda
nice. It's hard to fame this kind of photo, and you did a fine job.

> The first two were taken with my A40, and the rest with the Oly
> 2100UZ, while out and about during the Edinburgh festival.
>

> (There's also some 'snaps' from the Festival Cavalcade at
> <http://www.pbase.com/valsharp/cavalcade>, if you like pipe bands and
> things

These have too much depth of field. I like best images that direct me
somewhere, to the subkject. These are too confusing because there's no
single point of interest--a common problem for beginners.

Todd Walker

> As a rule, I like to stay as far away from humans as I can when in
> public. It is getting to the point even if you are standing still or
> sitting on a bench in a public area, humans will bump into you and not even
> think anything of it or apologize. And they are so loud and
> obnoxious. And of course many don't think anything of smoking around you
> as somehow if you are outdoors the smoke magically doesn't bother anyone else
> somehow.

Interesting how you insist on referring to humans as "they."

If this is nothing more than teen angst, you are forgiven. If it is a
ploy to see what kind of reactions you will get from others, fine. Enjoy
your little social experiment. If it is indeed a deep seeded emotional
problem, perhaps you should seek help.

--
Todd Walker