Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > printed color way off from screen color

printed color way off from screen color

Keith Wiley

I'm having a major color-matching issue. I recently bought an Epson
Stylus Photo 820. I'm working on a Powerbook Pismo. Regardless of what
program I display a particular image in, it only varies slightly depending
on the precise color-management profiles being used. However, the
printout is really red (or magenta). It mean it's pretty far off. The
red areas in the printout are slightly red on screen, soft, realistic,
managable. The printout is basically ruined.

What's the trick here? How do people get their screens and their printers
to agree?

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Keith Wiley http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.unm.edu/~keithw http://www.mp3.com/KeithWiley

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson,
that to be self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to
aspire is better than to be blindly and impotently happy."
-- Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland

Robertwgross

Keith wrote:
>I'm having a major color-matching issue. I recently bought an Epson
>Stylus Photo 820. ...

You might print a test page on the Epson printer to see if its cartridge is
running correctly on all colors.

You don't state what image editor program you use, so it might be some funky
one that does not do color management correctly.

---Bob Gross---

Keith Wiley

> You don't state what image editor program you use, so it might be some funky
> one that does not do color management correctly.

Photoshop 7. I'm slightly unsure which color profile to use for the
workspace, but like I said, altering those settings only has minor
effects on the screen appearance. No setting makes the screen accurately
represent the printout.

Keith Wiley (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.unm.edu/~keithw http://www.mp3.com/KeithWiley

"Yet mark his perfect self-contentment, and hence learn his lesson,
that to be self-contented is to be vile and ignorant, and that to
aspire is better than to be blindly and impotently happy."
-- Edwin A. Abbott, Flatland

Bill Hilton

>From: Keith Wiley (E-Mail Removed)

>I'm having a major color-matching issue.
> ... the printout is really red (or magenta).

Exactly how are you printing, ie, what commands are you using in the Epson
driver?

If you print using color management and also leave the Epson driver on the
colors get "translated" twice. The tell-tale sign of this is the strong
magenta cast, so perhaps this is what you're doing?

Bill

Frank Ehrlich

Keith Wiley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) .unm.edu>...
> I'm having a major color-matching issue. I recently bought an Epson
> Stylus Photo 820. I'm working on a Powerbook Pismo. Regardless of what
> program I display a particular image in, it only varies slightly depending
> on the precise color-management profiles being used. However, the
> printout is really red (or magenta). It mean it's pretty far off. The
> red areas in the printout are slightly red on screen, soft, realistic,
> managable. The printout is basically ruined.
>
> What's the trick here? How do people get their screens and their printers
> to agree?
>
> Any help appreciated. Thank you.

> Keith Wiley (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.unm.edu/~keithw http://www.mp3.com/KeithWiley

Go to G Ballard's site and follow his instructions step by step and TO THE LETTER:

http://www.gballard.net/nca.html

Frank

Marvin Margoshes

"Keith Wiley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). unm.edu...
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Bill Hilton wrote:
>
> > >From: Keith Wiley (E-Mail Removed)

> > >I'm having a major color-matching issue.
> > > ... the printout is really red (or magenta).

> > Exactly how are you printing, ie, what commands are you using in the

Epson
> > driver?

> Good heavens. I'm not sending commands to the driver directly. I'm using
> software. Basically, I airbrush and level-adjust and contrast-adjust the
> image in Photoshop till it looks good on screen (which is an LCD powerbook
> screen).

<snip>

Most LCD screens have poor color rendition. That may be your problem.