Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Easy identification of photos on DCF CD-ROM

Easy identification of photos on DCF CD-ROM

Hans

Greetings! I have a set of photos taken at a recent family reunion. I want
to cut them onto a CD in DCF format along with a thumbnail index in HTML
form. I'll make copies of the CD for anyone in the family who wants one,
and then they'll be able to take the CD to their nearest photofinisher to
get prints made of the particular photos they want.

Now then, if they want prints made, they could write down the file names of
the form "/DCIM/101FOTOS/PICT0123.JPG". But that's a bit unwieldy.
According to the DCF spec, they should be able to identify the photos using
id's of the form "101-0123". I asked at my favorite photofinishers, and
they said that, yes, they do understand the shorter form.

My question is this: Do *all* photofinishers understand DCF photo id's of
the form "101-0123"? That is, if someone took a DCF compatible CD to their
local Black's or Wally-Mart or Zellers or whatever, and used short form
image id's, would they get the photos they wanted?

(Getting the answer "yes" from my photofinisher of choice doesn't help since
they really know what they're doing. Unfortunately, not all do.)

Cheers! Hans

--
http://www.boldts.net/