Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Beginner photo editing software?

Beginner photo editing software?

Richard Dillon

Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
TIA,and please reply to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

Jorge Alvarez

> Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
> picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
> Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
> software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
> features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
> meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
> TIA,and please reply to (E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

Try the little brother, Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's aimed at novice
users, I find it very user friendly. Comes with excelent help and many easy
to follow tutorials. You can download a 30-day trial version from Adobe. Can
be had for $49 at Amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/km2t

Cheers,

-Jorge

Charles Schuler

> Try the little brother, Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's aimed at novice
> users, I find it very user friendly. Comes with excelent help and many

easy
> to follow tutorials. You can download a 30-day trial version from Adobe.

Can
> be had for $49 at Amazon:
> http://tinyurl.com/km2

I agree. I have both and almost NEVER need to use the full-blown version.
Elements is a terrific value.

RB

"Richard Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
> picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
> Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
> software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
> features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
> meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
> TIA,and please reply to (E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

Have a look at Photoplus 5.5. Have never used it but appears to be like
PaintShopPro and the price is right, free from www.freeserifsoftware.com.

Ray

Marvin Margoshes

"RB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bi09ce$fei$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
> > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
> > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
> > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
> > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
> > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
> > TIA,and please reply to (E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

> Have a look at Photoplus 5.5. Have never used it but appears to be like
> PaintShopPro and the price is right, free from www.freeserifsoftware.com.
>
> Ray

At the same time, try the latest version of Paint Shop Pro free from
www.jasc.com. It is excellent for the beginner to get started qyuickly,
with plenty of room to increase your skills.

Bill Hilton

>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Richard Dillon)

>Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
>picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
>Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
>software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
>features?

Elements is a good choice, it's much simpler than Photoshop but the interface
is similar enough that if you decide to go to Photoshop later you'll have a leg
up.

You can often get it free bundled with certain hardware packages, like the
Canon 10D camera or the Wacom 6x8" tablet or, I think, some printers. So if
you're thinking of buying something in the near future you might check to see
if Elements is included.

Joseph Meehan

I will also vote for Elements.

If that is too much then I suggest Microsoft's Picture It.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Jorge Alvarez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bi04kq$3q9vm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
> > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
> > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
> > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
> > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
> > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
> > TIA,and please reply to (E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

> Try the little brother, Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's aimed at novice
> users, I find it very user friendly. Comes with excelent help and many

easy
> to follow tutorials. You can download a 30-day trial version from Adobe.

Can
> be had for $49 at Amazon:
> http://tinyurl.com/km2t
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Jorge

Michael P Gabriel

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "RB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bi09ce$fei$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Richard Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
> > > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
> > > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
> > > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
> > > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
> > > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
> > > TIA,and please reply to (E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

> > Have a look at Photoplus 5.5. Have never used it but appears to be like
> > PaintShopPro and the price is right, free from www.freeserifsoftware.com.
> >
> > Ray
> >

> At the same time, try the latest version of Paint Shop Pro free from
> www.jasc.com. It is excellent for the beginner to get started qyuickly,
> with plenty of room to increase your skills.

short, I barely use 5 percent of it. I'm new to this all and the
learning curve is so rediculously high! Try a very early version of a
cheaper program where all you do is enhance your pics. Try Ulead's
website and download a freebie or two of one of the older ones! You'll
be happier! They mak fabulous stuff and you can keep upgrading to your
level! Try Ebay, PriceGrabber, Yahoo SHopping, etc, for the lowest
prices.

Paul Cordes

"Richard Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
> picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
> Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
> software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
> features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
> meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
> TIA,and please reply to (E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

Picture Window Pro http://www.dl-c.com 30 day free trial of non-crippled
version downloadable.
New version soon out, free upgrade if you buy the current 3.1 version.

Will do almost anything Photoshop will do and does a lot of things Photoshop
can't do.
Reasonable learning curve.

David Dyer-Bennet

"Paul Cordes" <late*(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Richard Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Folks, I have heard that Adobe Photoshop is good software for digitial
> > picture editing, but it is VERY expensive and complex.
> > Does anyone have a recommendation as to digital picture editing
> > software that may not be as expensive or complex, but still have good
> > features? Perhaps there is some shareware package available that will
> > meet my needs. Any advice and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated,
> > TIA,and please reply to (E-Mail Removed). Thanks so much again!

> Picture Window Pro http://www.dl-c.com 30 day free trial of non-crippled
> version downloadable.
> New version soon out, free upgrade if you buy the current 3.1 version.
>
> Will do almost anything Photoshop will do and does a lot of things Photoshop
> can't do.
> Reasonable learning curve.

It's a very nice piece of software. It has the best brightness curve
tool of any editor I've seen, and that's the key tool for digital
photo editing. Also has a very good color balance tool, and a really
brilliant point color correction tool.

Also fully supports 16-bit editing.

Unfortunately it doesn't have layers or adjustment layers. I like
adjustment layers a *lot* -- I like to do editing without damaging the
underlying pixels, because as I work my way to a good print of
something, I change my mind a lot. Changing things back and forth
degrades the image, sometimes really seriously. Going back to the
beginning and repeating everything you want to keep from scratch takes
huge amounts of time. So I tend to use it for simple work, and
one-shot work that I'm not going to take my time over, and sometimes
for complex steps in complex work.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>