Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: 300D as a 'Four Thirds' killer?

Re: 300D as a 'Four Thirds' killer?

Todd Walker

In article <DfkfgSMzX3Q$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Looks to me that the new Canon 300D, amongst other things, is designed
> to be a 'Four Thirds' killer.
>
> Canon has seriously geared up dSLR production, and it looks like a large
> slice of consumer hunger will be sated before the first Four Thirds
> camera even reaches the shelves. It's not as if there are compatible
> lenses sitting gadget bags waiting desperately for a Four Thirds body,
> as it's a new mount.
>
> Canon by name; canon by nature!

They aren't even in the same class. The 300D is an entry level dSLR; the
E1 is a pro level camera. The E1 is going to be around $2500 for the
body alone; speculation is around $1200-1300 for the 300D WITH a lens.
Apples and oranges...

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

David Eppstein

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> They aren't even in the same class. The 300D is an entry level dSLR; the
> E1 is a pro level camera.

I fail to see what makes the E1 "pro level" other than marketing. The
Canon 1D, 1Ds, and Nikon D2H are pro level. The E1 is not in their
class.

Jason O'Rourke

Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>They aren't even in the same class. The 300D is an entry level dSLR; the
>E1 is a pro level camera. The E1 is going to be around $2500 for the
>body alone; speculation is around $1200-1300 for the 300D WITH a lens.
>Apples and oranges...

The 4/3rds class isn't going to succeed on the backs of the *huge* pro
market. Besides, those few thousands are more likely to stick to the full
size units. No, it needs to be getting hundreds of thousands of units sold
to exactly the people who are going to buy the 300D.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

peter

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The E1's smaller sensor, less mp, and pro-level price just says to me

"poor
> value". You're right, they aren't in the same class

If Olympus put a 8MP sensor or a Foveon sensor in the 4/3 system, then I'd
say it has a fighting chance. Or, they could drop the price to ~$1000.

David Oddie

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:17:11 -0400, "Mark B."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The E1's smaller sensor, less mp, and pro-level price just says to me "poor
>value". You're right, they aren't in the same class

5 v 6 mp? Can you tell the difference?

The 4/3 system is supposed to evolve over time with higher mp counts
along the line as I am sure Canons CMOS senors will increase in
resolution eventually.

The E1 competes with the 10D as it is built to the same (maybe higher)
standards is a system camera and is not a stripped down cheaper
camera as is the 300D.

If the 300D is going to kill anything it may be the pro-sumer cameras
such as the Minolta A1 and Sony 828 which may be priced close to a
300D and a 18-55 lens combo.

I don't even think the Oly E1 is on its radar.

Dave

--
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
warning to others.

Remove the uppercase N O S P A M to reply via email.

Alan F Cross

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Oddie
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:17:11 -0400, "Mark B."
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The E1's smaller sensor, less mp, and pro-level price just says to me "poor
>>value". You're right, they aren't in the same class

>5 v 6 mp? Can you tell the difference?
>
>The 4/3 system is supposed to evolve over time with higher mp counts
>along the line as I am sure Canons CMOS senors will increase in
>resolution eventually.
>
>The E1 competes with the 10D as it is built to the same (maybe higher)
>standards is a system camera and is not a stripped down cheaper
>camera as is the 300D.
>
>If the 300D is going to kill anything it may be the pro-sumer cameras
>such as the Minolta A1 and Sony 828 which may be priced close to a
>300D and a 18-55 lens combo.
>
>I don't even think the Oly E1 is on its radar.
>
>Dave
>
>--
>It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a
>warning to others.
>
>Remove the uppercase N O S P A M to reply via email.

The real benefit of the 10D is the bigger sensor. The extended ISO range
with low noise makes this camera particularly attractive - certainly
clinches it for me.

The noise issue will improve, but I'll wager that a bigger sensor will
always beat a smaller one.
--
Alan F Cross

Charlie D

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> David Eppstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > They aren't even in the same class. The 300D is an entry level dSLR; the
> > > E1 is a pro level camera.

> > I fail to see what makes the E1 "pro level"

> 600mm f/2.8.

Plus full manual controls.
I wouldn't buy a 300D over my Oly 5050 since my 5050
allows me full control over shooting parameters.
Who cares about interchangeable lenses if the body
is set up as a dummy's camera.

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Don Coon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> David Eppstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > They aren't even in the same class. The 300D is an entry level dSLR;

the
> > > E1 is a pro level camera.

> > I fail to see what makes the E1 "pro level"

> 600mm f/2.8.

How does 600mm f/2.8 make a camera "pro level"?

bj286@scn.org

"Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message news:<on14b.304827$o%2.139041@sccrnsc02>...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > David Eppstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

> the E1 is a pro level camera.
> > >
> > > I fail to see what makes the E1 "pro level"

> > 600mm f/2.8.

> How does 600mm f/2.8 make a camera "pro level"?

Before E1's 600mm f/2.8, "pro level" ($7000) tele lenses are 600mm f/4
and 400mm f/2.8.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

Don Coon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Don Coon" <coondw_nospam@hotmail_dot_.com> wrote in message

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> > > David Eppstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...

dSLR;
> > the E1 is a pro level camera.

> > > 600mm f/2.8.

> > How does 600mm f/2.8 make a camera "pro level"?

> Before E1's 600mm f/2.8, "pro level" ($7000) tele lenses are 600mm f/4
> and 400mm f/2.8.

Hell, I've seen guys do 600mm on junk cameras and I've seen outstanding "pro
level" work on 50mm or less. Neither 600mm or f/2.8 in no way make a pro,
IMHO.