Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera

Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera

Tesselator

"Andy K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bhvgcj$250e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have read about the Panasonic Lumix DMC - FZ1camera and have been
> impressed by its features.
> I particularly like the 12x zoom.
> Has anyone used this camera and can offer comments, either good or bad?

Read this that I have pasted from another message for you here:

Try to stay away from the Japanese and Korean Electronic "junk"
manufacturers if at all possible and go with a maker that has
produced a line of 35mm SLR cameras in the past. The reasons
for this are GENERAL QUALITY and SUPPORT. (Notice how one begats
the other.)

1) Companies like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Lecia,
Contax, Pentax, Fuji, (Kodak?, Polaroid?) offer products
of excellent to good quality manufactur and staff an
excellent to good support team with customer friendly
policies.

2) Companies like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Casio, Toshiba,
Fujitsu, Epson, Kyocera, Ricoh, and Sharp, usually
offer products engineered to fail rapidly (ie. fair
to poor quality) and thier support teams /almost/ always
follow a policy set up under the theme: The Company
Must Always Profit -- Customer Satisfaction comes second!

This is not really just opinion as I got to work with alot
companies from both groups inside various sections as an
independant contractor not all that long ago. IMO, the only
reason you would buy a digital (snap) camera from group 2)
is if you were a Japanese Nationalist _and_ didn't care that
much about quality or product life cycles. This defines
the majority of Japanese citizens btw.

Dragan Cvetkovic

"Tesselator" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Read this that I have pasted from another message for you here:

> Try to stay away from the Japanese and Korean Electronic "junk"
> manufacturers if at all possible and go with a maker that has
> produced a line of 35mm SLR cameras in the past. The reasons
> for this are GENERAL QUALITY and SUPPORT. (Notice how one begats
> the other.)
>
> 1) Companies like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Lecia,

what is Lecia?

> Contax, Pentax, Fuji, (Kodak?, Polaroid?) offer products
> of excellent to good quality manufactur and staff an
> excellent to good support team with customer friendly
> policies.
>

> 2) Companies like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Casio, Toshiba,
> Fujitsu, Epson, Kyocera, Ricoh, and Sharp, usually
> offer products engineered to fail rapidly (ie. fair
> to poor quality) and thier support teams /almost/ always
> follow a policy set up under the theme: The Company

LOL. Contax is made by Kyocera. Ricoh was making 35mm SLR cameras in the
past. Do I need to say more?

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Hans-Georg Michna

"Tesselator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2) Companies like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Casio, Toshiba,
> Fujitsu, Epson, Kyocera, Ricoh, and Sharp, usually
> offer products engineered to fail rapidly (ie. fair
> to poor quality) and thier support teams /almost/ always
> follow a policy set up under the theme: The Company
> Must Always Profit -- Customer Satisfaction comes second!

That's a general problem these days. I never thought I would buy
a product from Panasonic, for this reason.

But then the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 costs about a third of
comparable cameras and is still better because of its long zoom
and image stabilizer, so I had no choice. And so far it is
holding out rather well, travelled with me through gruesome
conditions in east Africa, being subjected to the shaking,
jolting jeep, to heat, dust and my relentless use, and it's
still working. (See http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ for some
photos.) If it keeps working for one or two more years it has
already earned its living, because then I'll buy a new one
anyway.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Tesselator

> (See http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ for some photos.)

Wow!!!! Awesome site content dude!

My Mom lives in Transval (Near Sugunda) and that make me wanna
go and visit... Killer-Diller!

Hans-Georg Michna

"Tesselator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> (See http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/ for some photos.)

>Wow!!!! Awesome site content dude!
>
>My Mom lives in Transval (Near Sugunda) and that make me wanna
>go and visit... Killer-Diller!

Don't tell me you have somebody in Africa you could visit and
haven't done it!

Could be the experience of a lifetime.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Paul

On 23-Aug-2003, "Tesselator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You're right about Ricoh but again thier SLR equipment is
> a completely different production network than anything
> digital bearing thier name.

I have had a Ricoh Caplio G3 S (magnesium body) for 3 months now and it is a
superb camera. Has worked flawlessly and faultlessly. I am more than happy
with it.

Regards,
Paul P.

Dragan Cvetkovic

"Tesselator" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> "Dragan Cvetkovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Tesselator" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> > > 1) Companies like Nikon, Olympus, Canon, Minolta, Lecia,

> > what is Lecia?
> >

> You seriously want to offer an opinion on camera manufacturers
> without even knowing who Leica is? Really.... ( :-O

Hey, I know who Leica is. I don't know who Lecia is.

Bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

Tesselator

"Dragan Cvetkovic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tesselator" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > > what is Lecia?
> > >

> > You seriously want to offer an opinion on camera manufacturers
> > without even knowing who Leica is? Really.... ( :-O
> >

> Hey, I know who Leica is. I don't know who Lecia is.
>
> Bye, Dragan

Oh, you're a spelling dragon... err, dragan...

Tesselator

> > You're right about Ricoh but again thier SLR equipment is
> > a completely different production network than anything
> > digital bearing thier name.

> I have had a Ricoh Caplio G3 S (magnesium body) for 3 months now and it is a
> superb camera. Has worked flawlessly and faultlessly. I am more than happy
> with it.

Cool!

There are exceptions to everything. Still, I could be wrong
about Ricoh in general. If they are doing the "right thing"
these days with thier digitals then that's good for us as
consumers aye?!!?

Besides, mainly I wanted to name Sony, Samsung, Panasonic,
Casio, Toshiba, and Fujitsu in contrast with Nikon, Olympus,
Canon, Minolta, and /now/ Kodak. As those are the companies
I /actually/ know about. And it would seem from the feedback
I've been getting privatly that this word has been out on the
street for quite some time.

Public awareness is a good thing!