Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital for weddings.......

Digital for weddings.......

nonamegiven

Is there a big advantage, or any advantage, to shooting digital only for weddings?

Paul Heslop

nonamegiven wrote:

> Is there a big advantage, or any advantage, to shooting digital only for weddings?

Advantage is almost instant results.
--
Paul. (scatter like ice from the spoon that was your womb)
Not what it seems...

harvey steeves

I wrote:
having just shot my first digital wedding (actually used both film and
digital), the instantaneous feedback is great and got me more wedding
bookings but ..... I was always afraid of losing the images(used a 1 gig
microdrive), the post wedding work with digital takes way, way
longer(you think you can fix anything whereas with film, if its junk
then its junk) - i'm still playing with these shots and haven't sent
them off to print the proofs yet.
face it, digital is now but film will survive _ i find I can't get the
deep blacks I like on film.
harvey

nonamegiven wrote:
> Is there a big advantage, or any advantage, to shooting digital only for weddings?

Chris Hoopes

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> nonamegiven wrote:
> >
> > Is there a big advantage, or any advantage, to shooting digital only for

weddings?

> Advantage is almost instant results.
> --
> Paul. (scatter like ice from the spoon that was your womb)
> Not what it seems...
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

I agree.

1) Instantaneous results - making sure you got the right shot (seeing that
someone blinked during formals)
2) Being able to confirm the first shot was good and not having to take
duplicate shots "just to be sure".
3) Larger capacity for capturing images - not having to change film (of CF
cards) as often. I like being able to keep on shooting rather than stopping
to change film and possibly missing a shot.

One other item comes to mind as well. When I shoot an event, I carry an
ImageTank (portable hard drive) and download my CF cards when they get close
to being full. This way, I know I have a backup copy of the image files. I
transfer the images to my laptop as soon as possible and verify them to make
sure I have good copies of the images, and burn a CD. By the end of the
night, I have three copies of the raw image files. I also don't re-use the
card while at the event, just to make sure I don't delete anything. The
files on CF cards don't get deleted until I have my three backups.

Paul Heslop

stubby wrote:

> I have done over 400 weddings never had a prob with digital but film I have
> had film that had never been treated right developers have lost film and
> you don't know until after the wedding Digital you can check as you go

Yep, though that can be a pain the but too.

I think if I have anything against using digi and weddings it would be
with cameras like mine, with all auto settings, if you focus on white
you get dark images.

--
Paul. (scatter like ice from the spoon that was your womb)
Not what it seems...
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Aaron J. Ginn

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (nonamegiven) writes:

> Is there a big advantage, or any advantage, to shooting digital only
> for weddings?

I was at a wedding two weeks ago and the photographer ran out of film
as soon as the bridesmaids came down the aisle. He had to run back to
the foyer and tell the bride and her father to wait while he loaded a
new roll of film. The audience sat awkwardly for about a minute and
them finally the photographer came back out and the wedding resumed.
At least he was smart enough to do that instead of missing the moment.

Certainly, one can run out of memory as well, but given enough storage
space, it's less likely to happen as frequently and at just the wrong
moment. I'd also surmise one can change a memory card much faster and
with less likelyhood of something going wrong than with a roll of
film.

-- Sir Winston Churchill

Graham

"Aaron J. Ginn" wrote:
> I was at a wedding two weeks ago and the photographer ran out of
> film as soon as the bridesmaids came down the aisle. He had to run
> back to the foyer and tell the bride and her father to wait while
> he loaded a new roll of film.

I'm no professional photographer, but I would have thought this was an
almost inexcusable and easily avoidable stuff up?

Surely even with standard 36 shot 35mm film it isn't that hard to keep
track of where you are up to, and surely most pros would be using
equipment which accepts bulk films rolls anyway?

Gregory W. Blank

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Aaron J. Ginn) wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (nonamegiven) writes:
>
> > Is there a big advantage, or any advantage, to shooting digital only
> > for weddings?

> I was at a wedding two weeks ago and the photographer ran out of film
> as soon as the bridesmaids came down the aisle. He had to run back to
> the foyer and tell the bride and her father to wait while he loaded a
> new roll of film. The audience sat awkwardly for about a minute and
> them finally the photographer came back out and the wedding resumed.
> At least he was smart enough to do that instead of missing the moment.

That photographer should not be doing weddings first off, no pro does
weddings without back up equipment.
Regardless of how fast you can change a memory card its not fast enough
when people are walking down the aisle,.....that photographer will have
ruined that brides wedding forever, lets just hope they got great shots and
she has a forgiving heart.

Alot of 35mm AF camera have film advance its really just as fast as loading
a card.....all this is beside thepoint,....they "F"d up.

--
"ANFAWFOS"
Check out my website @

Gregory W. Blank

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Graham <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm no professional photographer, but I would have thought this was an
> almost inexcusable and easily avoidable stuff up?

It is.

> Surely even with standard 36 shot 35mm film it isn't that hard to keep
> track of where you are up to, and surely most pros would be using
> equipment which accepts bulk films rolls anyway?

Yes or two cameras. Which is what I did prior to buying my Bronica
with changable magazines.

--
"ANFAWFOS"
Check out my website @
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

David Dyer-Bennet

(E-Mail Removed) (Aaron J. Ginn) writes:

> (E-Mail Removed) (nonamegiven) writes:
>
> > Is there a big advantage, or any advantage, to shooting digital only
> > for weddings?

> I was at a wedding two weeks ago and the photographer ran out of film
> as soon as the bridesmaids came down the aisle. He had to run back to
> the foyer and tell the bride and her father to wait while he loaded a
> new roll of film. The audience sat awkwardly for about a minute and
> them finally the photographer came back out and the wedding resumed.
> At least he was smart enough to do that instead of missing the moment.

A mess either way, but this way gets the mess over with right away.
And it doesn't show in the pictures . But yes, when I'm doing a
wedding I do try to plan ahead for those moments when I shouldn't need
a technical time-out.

> Certainly, one can run out of memory as well, but given enough storage
> space, it's less likely to happen as frequently and at just the wrong
> moment. I'd also surmise one can change a memory card much faster and
> with less likelyhood of something going wrong than with a roll of
> film.

I can change a card much faster than a roll of film personally,
anyway. Always assuming I have it *with* me. But the card is also
smaller than the roll of film, so it's easier to have with me.
(compact flash card compared to either 35mm or 120 film).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>